• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2nd greatest living cricketer

Who is the 2nd greatest living cricketer (behind Sobers)?

• Total voters

ataraxia

International Coach
a simple no is the best argument because it's utterly unrefutable. no logic "errors" to poke a straw man at, no reasonable assumptions to unreasonablise. and you get likes for it

Gob

International Coach
World's best batsman was in his team.
Sachin and Lara.. more of 90s stars.
Dravid always struggled against great pacers.
Jesus christ mate get something right for once. Lara had an incredible run in 00s. Slump Tendulkar only faced McGrath in 2 tests. There were Kallis, Smith, Sangakkara, Yousef, Inzamam, Dravid, Sehwag, KP and many others feasting on the flattest wickets world may have ever seen and McGrath averaged 20.5

How about this for a track.
20211019_030538.jpg
Ftr those tests in WI happened at the same time his wife was diagnosed

And to put things in to a perspective here are non aus batting averages of the decade. Numbers of players averaging more than their career averages
20211019_031650.jpg

Surely I can't make this any easier for you
Edit
I wasn't actually aware that McGrath had such a great record in 00s. I knew it was good but not this good and now I'm genuinely contemplating whether he was better than MM

Pap Finn Keighl

International Debutant
Jesus christ mate get something right for once. Lara had an incredible run in 00s. Slump Tendulkar only faced McGrath in 2 tests. There were Kallis, Smith, Sangakkara, Yousef, Inzamam, Dravid, Sehwag, KP and many others feasting on the flattest wickets world may have ever seen and McGrath averaged 20.5

How about this for a track.
View attachment 29621
Ftr those tests in WI happened at the same time his wife was diagnosed

And to put things in to a perspective here are non aus batting averages of the decade. Numbers of players averaging more than their career averages
View attachment 29620

Surely I can't make this any easier for you
Edit
I wasn't actually aware that McGrath had such a great record in 00s. I knew it was good but not this good and now I'm genuinely contemplating whether he was better than MM
Sachin and Lara were better in 90s.
00s was the easiest era for batsmen.
McGrath was the best bowler, but there was no serious competition ( only Akthar to an extent ).

Pap Finn Keighl

International Debutant
I can't wrap my head around the disingenuousness required to suggest that McGrath's average was nothing special and that there were no good batsmen around in the 00s.
There were good batsmen. I was talking about Sachin, Lara and Ponting.
McGrath avg was special as it would be in 90s.. Nothing more than that.

subshakerz

International Coach
Thats fair. But, saying McGrath did unimaginable in flattest era of 00s is plain wrong. All other quality bowlers around then did well too. Any of Akram, Donald, Ambrose could have done the same if they were in the place of McGrath.
Yeah, I think people overstate the 'flat era' argument. The reason that the 2000s was more batting friendly was partially due to flatter pitches, but mainly it was that after Wasim, Waqar, Donald, Walsh and Ambrose retired, there were just relatively fewer worldclass bowlers in that era that succeeded them, making it easier for batsmen to score heavily. The few that did pop up (Shoaib, Asif, Bond) played relatively fewer matches.

As mentioned before, unlike the 80s and 90s, not a single great bowler played throughout the entire decade.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Slightly better than Akthar.
If Akhtar doing almost as well over a third of the number of games diminishes McGrath's standout legacy, Marshall, Hadlee, Garner, and Imran coexisting means they were all meh.
There were good batsmen. I was talking about Sachin, Lara and Ponting.
McGrath avg was special as it would be in 90s.. Nothing more than that.
There were many more great batsmen than any other decade. SA, Pakistan, India and obviously Australia each had their strongest middle orders ever. McGrath averaging 20.5 when the overall average in Australia was closer to mid-30s (from memory) was obviously crazy.

Bolo.

International Vice-Captain
Forget the 20.5. A number of bowlers had similarly good home performances for the decade. Going at 19.x away, and sub 20 in all but 1 country (2 games only) is what is really impressive.

trundler

I mean, yeah sure pace bowling stonks were not especially high in the 2000s but McGrath being the lone ATG is still a point in his favour. And that's all I said it was. Guy made top orders **** themselves, day in and day out. Everywhere. Never went missing. Took 4.5 wickets per match despite playing *124* tests. Was basically the Tendulkar of bowling without choking and with some added X factor.

subshakerz

International Coach
If Akhtar doing almost as well over a third of the number of games diminishes McGrath's standout legacy, Marshall, Hadlee, Garner, and Imran coexisting means they were all meh.

There were many more great batsmen than any other decade. SA, Pakistan, India and obviously Australia each had their strongest middle orders ever. McGrath averaging 20.5 when the overall average in Australia was closer to mid-30s (from memory) was obviously crazy.
Well to be fair, Pakistan had a horrible batting lineup when McGrath faced them in 2002 and a fairly weak one in 2004 without Inzi for most of the series. Their best batting lineup was arguably in 99. WI were obviously a bit weaker than what he faced in the 90s. SAs great middle order only blossomed after McGrath retired. India and England were definitely stronger. He didnt play in Sri Lanka where it was a runfest in the 2000s.

Not to diminish McGraths achievements but I think if other ATGs were around they would have still done well.

trundler

That Pakistani lineup he took 8/24 against was pretty good. Absolutely demolished em. Yeah, SA peaked in 08-12 but they were still fairly strong back then, way better than in the 90s.

Just look at what happened to Australia when McGrath wasn't there. They could only draw India at home kudos to that extremely OP batting lineup. And then there's the '05 Ashes..

Pap Finn Keighl

International Debutant
If my grandmother had wheels she'd be a bike.
Ok.
McGrath was the only ATG pacer in early and Mid 00s, naturally he became the best.
It would be the same with any other ATG.

If you think Donald would have been a 30 avg bowler in 00s, then there is no point in calling him ATG.