• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian domestic season 2021/22

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
This. If Cricket Australia really cared about the national team winning they wouldn't have facilitated all our home Test pitches turning into slow roads over the last decade that negate our historic strengths.
This, holy ****. It's made for awful to watch cricket too.

social

I am watching my son play cricket today at a ground a few Ks from where the shield game was to be played

Such a wtf decision

Midwinter

State Captain
There is usually at least 300-500 at the MCG to watch a shield game when I have been there.

They only open one small section of the ground, which give impression no one is there.

It is a 100,000 seat stadium so its understandable.
Its not like Hove or Scarbrough.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That's not really why it was called off. Tasmania bolted because they're a covidzero state. If the cluster develops over the course of the game, the Tasmanian government would almost certainly put them into 14 day quarantine. The team would be playing with fire if they played the game out.

Which you can say is pathetic as well but the game wasn't shut down, it could have gone ahead.

Burgey

That's not really why it was called off. Tasmania bolted because they're a covidzero state. If the cluster develops over the course of the game, the Tasmanian government would almost certainly put them into 14 day quarantine. The team would be playing with fire if they played the game out.

Which you can say is pathetic as well but the game wasn't shut down, it could have gone ahead.
Tassie is starting to push back against the idea of opening up to the rest of the country at 80% vaccinated, an inconvenient attitude for the federal govt which wants to paint only labor states as being covid zero wannabes

Spikey

You'd think CA would have some doubt over the SA's government commitment to open the borders at 80% as well, given the game they played with the returning olympic athletes.

stephen

Yeah I can't see any popular support up here for opening the borders at 80%.

Fact is that without vaccinating the kids, we basically need all eligible adults to be vaccinated to grant genuine herd immunity.

Spikey

You'd think CA would have some doubt over the SA's government commitment to open the borders at 80% as well, given the game they played with the returning olympic athletes.
and so it seems SA struck again

Plans for the Sheffield Shield have been thrown into further disarray after New South Wales and Victoria’s trips to South Australia for hotel quarantine were blocked by health authorities.
I wonder if pivoting to a 5 game shield season after the tests and just focus on getting whatever FC cricket can be organised now is the play, sans any official connection to the shield. CA won't do that of course, but surely it's better for NSW and Victoria to just pump out 5 FC games between now and December then trying to make the shield work...?

They've organised this, with QLD being skipped over for games:

Marsh Sheffield Shield

Oct 7-10: Queensland v Tasmania, Karen Rolton Oval
Oct 15-18: South Australia v Queensland, Adelaide Oval
Oct 17-20: Western Australia v Tasmania, WACA Ground

Marsh One-Day Cup

Oct 13: South Australia v Queensland, Karen Rolton Oval
Oct 15: Western Australia v Tasmania, WACA Ground (D/N)

seems rather silly to waste any time on the OD games right now tbh.

tony p

First Class Debutant
The ECB are looking at this and saying " What the ****"

This Ashes series IF it happens is going to be remarkable.
As of this minute you couldn't actually say where any of the 5 Tests matches will be played at which venues.

As far as the shield is concerned, I've already lost interest and Tasmania hasn't got on the field yet.

Spikey

do you have any Tim Ward memorabilia hanging around? we could burn that, put that in an Urn and Victoria/NSW could have our own 5 game Ashes series

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Does smith fit into Australia's best t20 11 anymore? Just thinking about the upcoming wc and not sure if he's the best man for the job anymore

Despite warner's dog**** ipl form I still think he's a lock for the t20WC, so is finch. Maxy has been consistently great at 4 and I don't see them ****ing that around, and stoino averages 35 @145 down the order in t20I's, so I don't see australia not playing him. With those guys in mind, the lineup looks something like

1.Finch
2.Warner
3.Marsh/(Inglis or wade)
4.Maxy
5.Stoin
6.(Inglis or wade)/Marsh
7.DC/Agar

7 will either be dc or agar depending on what team composition we want, so think it's safe to put them both there. We need a keeper and based on pre tounrey talk seems like wade will keep that spot or inglis will fill in depending on Jl's mood. Marsh has been great at 3 recently with bat and adds bowling depth, and in comparison smith's t20 form has been pretty suspect. Averages 25 @120 in his past 3 t20I series and 25.5 @120 in his past 2 ipl season's. Not horrible numbers but not as good as his usual standard and far behind marsh's recent output.

I love smith to death, but looking at it this way and taking his injuries and the upcoming ashes into account, feel like where better off with him sitting the tour out and prioritizing test's. Opinions?