• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Day 5 of a Test Match

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
Some matches not mentioned so far

1.India vs Australia - 1980-81 Melbourne test (Chasing 140 odd, Australia were all out for 82)
2.Tied test 1986 (Edit: mentioned by HB earlier)
3.India vs WI 1987 Delhi test (Richards won it single handedly on final day. Chasing 270 odd, India were probable favorites with WI at 111/4. Then, King Viv played like only he could. One of my first vague cricket memories, listening to elders in family praising Viv. I was too young to watch the match of course)
4.Adelaide test 2003
5.Adelaide test 2006

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The Gabba 1960/61 series Australia vs West Indies . The first tied Test I was there for all 5 days....Classic stuff and can't be beaten
Wasn’t there also a Melbourne test in that series which went deep into day five as well with Aus pulling off a pretty decent chase?

Plus there was the mackay-Kline partnership at Adelaide as well.

Man, that must have been some series

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This was a good day 5:

1632228965603.jpeg

Along with this line from Ian Bishop:

"New heroes have emerged from the ashes of a team decimated by absenteeism. And standing on the throne is Kyle Mayers… a double hundred, leading this inexperienced team to a victory. Hats off to him and to all of them."

Flem274*

123/5
nz v india at eden park 2013 was good fun. wagner charging in on a motorway to kohli, dhoni and jadeja. it was a spirited chase with easily kohli's best knock on nz soil and some great hitting from jadeja but ultimately the earliest iteration of wagnerball prevailed.

i had to listen on car radio and had just parked up at uni but knew the finish was close so waited and did a fist pump when nz won.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Some day fives while not necessarily being the best bring back personal memories. For instance a Test in New Zealand in 1997. England lead by 130 odd on the first innings and had New Zealand 8 down still about 30 behind in the second innings on the last day. I needed to sleep so went to bed assuming victory as there was still half the day left. Didn’t happen, and I’m glad I missed it. :tooth:

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Multan 2005
Mohali 2005
Bangalore 2005

There's a reason that was the year I fell in love with Test cricket.

Hnr mention, Pallekele 2015

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
3.India vs WI 1987 Delhi test (Richards won it single handedly on final day. Chasing 270 odd, India were probable favorites with WI at 111/4. Then, King Viv played like only he could. One of my first vague cricket memories, listening to elders in family praising Viv. I was too young to watch the match of course)
That was Day 4 - with 16 wickets falling by tea on the first day (India 75; WI 45-6), it's surprising it lasted that long.

vandem

International 12th Man
England with Prior sneaking an unexpected draw in 2013 against NZ
A couple of Tests between England and NZ were decided late in the final session a couple of years back...
NZ v Eng, Eden Park, Mar 2018 day/night.

Eng had been rolled for 58 in 1st innings by Boult and Southee, but bad weather meant Eng started day 5 at 3-132 needing to bat out the day to avoid an innings defeat (or bat almost all of day 5 and score 260+ runs to give NZ a small 4th innings target with not enough overs to chase).

Pitch was flat but Williamson played all his cards that day. Boult and Southee looking for early swing (Malan ct slip 23), de Grandhomme to dry up the scoring (24-10-40-0), Boult back with the new ball (Ali lbw 28), Wagner bouncer barrage (Stokes ct point 66). NZ cricket opened the gates for free entry for the final evening session, and the crowd streamed in to give Wagner encouragement. Chris Woakes (39* at tea) was left with the tail, but was caught at short leg for 52 from a sharp bouncer in the 12th over !!! of Wagner's spell (split by tea).

Good cricket, lively crowd, sunset skyline.

Kirkut

International Regular
Unpopular choice - India vs South Africa at Eden Gardens in 2010. Amla was impossible to get out (our bowling attack was meh but still) and Harbhajan Singh sprinted like a footballer after getting Morne Morkel lbw.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Easily in terms of the ones I've been to, the 2002 Test v England at Eden Park. Add in the previous evening when the lights were on and McMillan and co were slogging away in the dark, and some of England's fielders couldn't see the ball. That's about as much fun as I've had at Test cricket, and in fact that whole series (ODI and Test) was epic.

Bijed

International Regular
Day 5 of the Lord's test vs New Zealand in 2015 was seriously good to be at. My interest in cricket had fallen to "I'll keep up with it, but I don't really care" levels over the previous few years (which had helped deal with the 13/14 Ashes, I guess), but that day, which I only really went to because my dad asked so nicely if I would, rekindled my love for the sport and I haven't looked back!