• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Windies Team Discussion, and Other Related Things Thread

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The best I've got is:

WI Best A - First Innings
WI Best B - First Innings
WI Best A - Second Innings

Roach will start, as will Gabriel and Holder if fit. So the next slot is Alzarri vs Chemar vs Smith vs Seales
I am beginning to like the depth we now have with pace bowling...but at times I feel like the selectors don't want to slowly get a guy in there to build on experience. Gabriel can fall down anytime. Roach is almost at the end. We need new spearheads.

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
I am beginning to like the depth we now have with pace bowling...but at times I feel like the selectors don't want to slowly get a guy in there to build on experience. Gabriel can fall down anytime. Roach is almost at the end. We need new spearheads.
I think we are absolutely blessed with pace options tbh. I agree the selectors need to start rotating them in because Gabriel and Roach are both prone to breaking down.

SillyCowCorner1

Kieran Powell with 90 something...the opening batsmen are knocking on the door...John Campbell nah guh last any longer. He time reach.

WICFan

U19 Captain
It's early days for Smith and Seales, it's a pity there isn't more competitive cricket being played for them. But I would agree the pace options are increasing.

I think Roach will outlast Gabriel depending on injuries. He finished his county stint well, had the ball moving and was still clocking early 80's mph.

It could be, and probably should if the Sri Lanka series is anything to go by, that Gabriel starts getting rotated out of the setup with two from Joseph, Smith, Seales and C. Holder joining Roach and J. Holder.

Beamer

It could be, and probably should if the Sri Lanka series is anything to go by, that Gabriel starts getting rotated out of the setup with two from Joseph, Smith, Seales and C. Holder joining Roach and J. Holder.
Agreed, I've been advocating for this for a while. Our selectors are so bad at innovating. I thought Seales was near the back of the queue but in the 2 best v best matches this year he has been the best pacer on display, he's an awesome talent.

SillyCowCorner1

In my opinion....Anderson Philip goes the white ball route and Nial Smith the red ball.

I'd love to see Philip transitioning to the red ball stuff in the future though.

Beamer

In my opinion....Anderson Philip goes the white ball route and Nial Smith the red ball.

I'd love to see Philip transitioning to the red ball stuff in the future though.
Agreed, though Nial appears to have injured himself :(.

Seales is the one that really has me excited tbh. He has it all.

Beamer

So where are we now after the SA Test series? A big dose of reality has been delivered. We are still awful against high quality pace bowling and our batting is not good enough against the best attacks. On the plus side our bowling remains excellent and it looks likely to remain that way with the crop of pacers we have waiting in the wings. If anything, Seales, Chemar and Smith should be an upgrade on Shannon and our attack will be stronger in the coming years.

However, given the lack of 4 day cricket, I just don't know what to do about our batting lineup. Kraigg averages under 20 over the last 3 years! Shai Hope was beought back in the side as an opener after failing for 3 years in a row in the middle order, only to end up back in the middle order after one innings in which he looked quite promising! Kieron Powell is back opening instead, looking good for short bursts only to get himself out. Roston Chase had a terrible 3 years with the bat, getting out to the short ball or trapped in the crease and then he ends up batting at 4 against South Africa. It feels like our management lost the plot.

The definition of madness is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Our selectors reverted to type as soon as Bonner was concussed. Of course, the likes of Mayers and Da Silva had their first really bad series with the bat, but they deserve a run and to try and improve.

For me, the Pakistan lineup has to be something like:

Kraigg Braithwaite (on really thin ice!!)
Shai Hope (opening, not middle order!)
Nkrumah Bonner
Kyle Mayers
Jermaine Blackwood
Jason Holder
Joshua Da Silva (wk)
Rakheem Cornwall
Kemar Roach
Jayden Seales
Chemar Holder

Reserves

Kieron Powell (spare opener)
Darren Bravo (spare middle order)
Roston Chase (spare spinner/all-rounder)
Alzarri Joseph/Nial Smith (spare pacer)

Of course, I would much rather see a radical plan of integrating Shimron and Pooran into our test set up but that won't happen with these selectors.

Beamer

What's the deal with the lack of 4 day cricket? Covid?
Yeah unlike other Test nations we have to move players between sovereign nations/islands. It is ludicrously expensive and close to logistically impossible for Cricket West Indies to put on a regular 4 day season during the pandemic.

I believe they are organising 4 day games between each nation's 1st and 2nd XI so that there is at least some FC cricket for the selectors to reference.

SillyCowCorner1

Back in the days in Guyana before my birth, there were inter-county games which were designated as FC matches.

That doesn’t happen now and I don’t know what they call those games now.

It’s the level above first division and below first class.

Beamer

So the test squad from the South Africa series plus a few as yet unnamed FC players (only ones we know are there are Nial Smith and Veerasammy Permaul) are in Jamaica for a best v best trial game. Hopefully Cricket West Indies will let us know what is going on soon.

Go Nial Smith, do your thing! But really we want some batsmen to put their hands up and score some runs.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
So the test squad from the South Africa series plus a few as yet unnamed FC players (only ones we know are there are Nial Smith and Veerasammy Permaul) are in Jamaica for a best v best trial game. Hopefully Cricket West Indies will let us know what is going on soon.

Go Nial Smith, do your thing! But really we want some batsmen to put their hands up and score some runs.
kudos to Guyana for breaking the media blackout etc

Beamer

So what on earth do we do now? The batting is still shocking and there is no fc cricket to identify alternatives. So surely now is the time for Roger Harper and co to throw out the rule book and take some risks.

Surely we can't go to SL with this same exact group after all this failure?

What's your squad for SL in October?