• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***2021 Australian Domestic off season thread***

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I thought Hick was there as a batting coach already?

which probably explains why they failed to do the obvious thing and hit the ball back over the non-spinner’s head.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
We don't need major structural changes. Getting rid of the axis of mediocrity that are the captain and coach is the main one needed. Variety in the pitches is the other.

Would agree we need more A tours, India and England seem to play far more and with more of a red ball focus.

Burgey

We don't need major structural changes. Getting rid of the axis of mediocrity that are the captain and coach is the main one needed. Variety in the pitches is the other.

Would agree we need more A tours, India and England seem to play far more and with more of a red ball focus.
They need to throw the kitchen sink at getting TOTAB as head coach and Ponting as batting coach. Discipline, toughness and respect for the cricketing history of the country needs to be inculcated into the ranks, and those who don’t buy in need to be prosecuted with extreme prejudice. TOTAB will see everything right.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member

Depends what you're referring to. The domestic competitions and their structures are completely ****ed

GC makes some reasonable points

TheJediBrah

More bowler friendly Shield pitches. Been the problem for years. Junction oval/MCG. The whole first part of the shield last season in Adelaide was on roads. Technique-less hacks like Harris and Head averaging 80 in the Shield doesn't help develop your Test team.

Culminating in NSW getting bowled out for 30 the moment there was a bit on the wicket

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
More bowler friendly Shield pitches. Been the problem for years. Junction oval/MCG. The whole first part of the shield last season in Adelaide was on roads. Technique-less hacks like Harris and Head averaging 80 in the Shield doesn't help develop your Test team.
Are you actually gonna support the opposition once Head becomes the captain? :p

TheJediBrah

If Head actually becomes good I'll grudingly accept him. I used to talk more **** about Lyon than I did about Head. Don't see Head getting any better though

Spikey

Didn't think it was worth bumping the old thread

Greg Chappell just doing Greg Chappell things
Going through the ideas:

" Chappell, the former Test captain who retired as Cricket Australia's national talent manager in 2019, wants the Sheffield Shield to start as early as August or September each year to fit in a full 10-match season before the KFC BBL gets underway."

I think they playing games earlier and earlier will have to happen, but tbh getting the OD cup out of the way during this time seems a better fit.

"Chappell also believes an Australian Football League-style draft system, as well the introduction of another team or two, could stop more populous states from "warehousing" the best young talent.

"Historically we've been one of the best at developing young players and keeping them in the system, but I think that's changed in the last couple of years," the 72-year-old told cricket.com.au ahead of the Greg Chappell Foundation's fourth annual dinner in Sydney on Wednesday. I'm seeing a bunch of young players with great potential who are in limbo. That's unacceptable. We cannot afford to lose one player."

Most of this is nonsense. Cricketers have complete and utter free agency at the moment, which we've seen Jake Doran and Ashton Agar use to move states while still in their teens, and Shane Watson many years ago. Warehousing would likely increase under a draft system. A truly crazy idea. You know what isn't a crazy idea and would help with 'warehousing'? A Loan system. Which was proposed. 10 years ago in the Argus review. And still hasn't happened.

Additional teams should of course happen. I've been on the ACT boat for yonks. Greg Chappell probably wants a return to the Greg Chappell XI though.

and then the rest of it just nonsense again.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah I think his most important point (and maybe only valid point) was the restructuring of the scheduling of the season and more A Tours

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
The point about more A tours is something I definitely support, no arguments there.

But what really stands out to me is the all pervasive obsession with trying to find the "nExT bIg ThInG". That has always been the GChappell MO, but with the possible exception of Cummins not a single one of these annointed saviours has lived up to the (vastly ott) hype recieved, in some cases it has actively seemed to burden their development. Renshaw is a good example of that, and as much as I feel uneasy in saying this, Phil Hughes is probably the most egregious case

Am a staunch believer in backing players who are solid in the current time as opposed to those who might be something big in the future