• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2021 English Cricket Season

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Crane took 6 wickets, for a leggie in artic conditions that is not bad, would like to see him just playa fair bit for Hants, and take a lot of wickets, his T20 exploits has meant he's played very little first-class cricket, with Dawson (who was the bowler in that incident) often preferred, because of his batting, hopefully we can see him have a full year.

I think McManus is really the one to blame in that though, quite possibly the players all thought he was out.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
A bit surprised to see my team (Kent) have a 450 plays 430 drawn match. You used to be able to assume there’d be a contrived finish.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah that looked seriously ugly, haven't seen something like that since u15s tbh

Highly doubt it. It is only Leicestershire after all
Absolutely. I'm just saying that, theoretically, it's a line the authorities could take if they really wanted to take a hard line over the incident. But I'm not seriously suggesting that they will do that. Anyway, according to Vince, McManus didn't realise what he's done, so that OK then.

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
I believe I saw something on a BBC website that the most recent oldest player was Chris Balderstone in 1986.
Opening the batting for Leicestershire v Sussex, 19-22 July 1986, he made 115 in the second innings.
As he was born on 16th Nov 1940, it would have made him around 45 years & 247 days, depending whether he completed his century on the second or third day.
Boycott (who's a few weeks older) also made has last hundred in the same round of matches, but maybe a day or two earlier. Looks like Gooch (43) was the oldest since then before Stevens.

theegyptian

Good to see Kerrigan getting a good long bowl vs his former county having droppped out of the professional game for a while.

Surrey struggling again with their bowling. Might be worth seeing if they can produce slow turners and pick Moriarty with Virdi and/or Batty.

Notts actually might win a game here.

Plenty going on yesterday at Chelmsford. Durham have left Essex with the opportunity to get back in the match if they bat well second time around.

Red_Ink_Squid

Cricketer Of The Year
Echo the positivity at seeing Kerrigan go well at OT.

Looking bleak for my boys Warwickshire though with the top 3 dismissed and Sibley absent with a suspected broken finger.

Surrey seem to have started the season worse than anybody. Not what I'd have expected, even with the Currans over at the IPL.

ImpatientLime

International Regular
my god this middlesex batting lineup is utterly hopeless.

the likes of eskinazi and gubbins have been nicking a living for years now.

Red_Ink_Squid

Cricketer Of The Year
he likes of eskinazi and gubbins have been nicking a living for years now.
Wind the clock back 5 or 6 years and there was a lot of hope for those two iirc. Seem to have regressed rather than pushed on in that time; in my head they're both still youngsters with potential but actually they're 27 now and should be in their prime. Robson another who hasn't achieved nearly as much as expected after his brief England run (though his innings last week was impressive). Is there a coaching issue at Middlesex?

ImpatientLime

International Regular
Wind the clock back 5 or 6 years and there was a lot of hope for those two iirc. Seem to have regressed rather than pushed on in that time; in my head they're both still youngsters with potential but actually they're 27 now and should be in their prime. Robson another who hasn't achieved nearly as much as expected after his brief England run (though his innings last week was impressive). Is there a coaching issue at Middlesex?
robson had a poor 2020 but was serviceable 2017-2019. he has never re captured his pre england call up form but done an ok job.

i am unsure as to whether or not there is a coaching issue but there is a definite malaise and acceptance of mediocre and poor performances with the bat.

the younger guys like white and andersson are there because there is bugger all else rather than because their potential merits selection. handscomb has got a heck of a job on his hands.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Surrey struggling again with their bowling. Might be worth seeing if they can produce slow turners and pick Moriarty with Virdi and/or Batty.
Surrey's bowling has been dire for years. The one exception was when Morkel bowled really well for us in 2018, but he experienced a huge tail-off in 2019, which highlighted yet again how poor we have been developing our own quicks who are anything more than mediocre. Looking over the last 30 years, we've produced Bicknell and Tudor, and that's about it. The occasional promising youngster like Meaker never goes on with it. I suppose we're missing the Currans during the IPL, but you just feel that a county as big as Surrey should be able to cope. Given the finance and the catchment available, this shouldn't be acceptable, but nothing seems to change.

theegyptian

Critchley is having a cracking start to the season. 340 runs @ 85 with the bat, and 7 wickets at 12.71 with the ball. Fun cricketer to watch. Would think he'd get a crack at lions cricket before long- probably already has.

Pope continuing to dominate county cricket.

Real chance last years finalists will both lose this round of games. Good for the championship if so.