• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Boxing thread

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I thought Cheeseman Metcalf was the chief support but that was a cracking fight. Cheeseman hurt and then 20 seconds later wipes out Metcalf. Cheeseman is 25 and will probably have no chin time he is 28. Had some tough fights.
British and European Super Welterweight scene is good value. No world beaters, the PBC guys wipe them all out, but so many good match ups and the fights deliver. If Tim Tsyzu doesn't want to go to world level, where it will be tough to get a belt, Castano is legit, he could do 12-18 months in the UK fighting these guys.
Yeah that was a great fight.

Cheeseman is a good solid boxer. Good idea for Tsyzu to go the UK. Would be a good next step for him.

Lol At this Wardley guy with his chin up in the air like that and his left hand low...KO waiting to happen. Molina isn't much anymore but if he keeps doing that even Molina will catch him.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Didn't bother paying for the Whyte fight. Judging by the radio commentary he did what he should have done last August. I must admit I don't rate him.

Niall

International Coach
Povetkin clearly not recovered from covid, poor call from his camp to have this fight, should have waited a few months.

I know Sky were hyping a fight v Wilder , but no disrespect to Whyte that would be decapitation if it happened.

A narrative seems to have been built in the UK that Whyte has serious firepower, he really doesn't.,,he's not bad but nowhere near the elite level.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Carl Frampton has supposedly retired after losing to Jamel Herring. Only time will tell if he sticks to that, but I think he probably will.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Conor Benn sounding comically smug after his win.
reaaaaaaaaally early stoppage, that one. He looked good and all but Vargas deserves a bit of benefit of the doubt, and while he was taking some big punches it's not clear if he was actually hurt.

Anyway hopefully these young welterweights (Jaron Ennis, Elvis Rodriguez etc) don't end up in some promotional divide and actually end up fighting each other unlike the situation with Errol Spence and Terence Crawford.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member

Just a brief homage to the great man. Surely thee best first round ever fought.

Can’t believe he’s gone.Such a great fighter and man.
Haha, I'll never stop loving him just for legally changing his name to "Marvellous Marvin Hagler" so that ring announcers would be forced to say his nickname.

Niall

International Coach
Taylor fight was a corker tbf.

The Tennyson fight was hilarious also ,,,IRISH GGG eh no son you aren't.

The main event was decent although these are journeymen, Chisora will be pissed off and he is right to be , I had it a draw , some **** had it 116-111 despite a Chisora knockdown which was a disgrace. Best of luck to Parker's team trying to get much more out of this dude.

Last edited:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Thought Parker looked better than he has in ages (which isn’t saying much). His conditioning was excellent and he was much more active with his jab. Still not active enough though, he had a chance to floor Chisora in round 12 and put the fight beyond doubt, and he just sat back and did nothing. Couple of moments like that in the later rounds actually. And letting himself get dropped in the opening 10 seconds of the fight was absolutely amateur hour stuff. Needs more time under Andy Lee who I think is making some progress with him.

I thought he won but 116-111 is a joke.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I mean if there was anything to show that Parker lacks the killer instinct it's that fight.

I'm not sure why he wants to box when he's bigger and stronger than Chisora and should have been going for a KO from about round 4 onwards. Chisora has been KOed multiple times and that should have been the goal.

He is extremely frustrating to watch.

Throw a good 3 punch combination then just back off and let the guy recover and come at you again.

It's like watching sparring, not fighting.

Niall

International Coach
Tbf I keep forgetting he is only 29 so time on his side and Andy Lee is someone good to have in his corner.

I feel sorry for Chisora but I hope Parker does not bother with a rematch.

On Chisora, hopefully he has his money made, he is always game but ideally I'd like him to retire or maybe be a gatekeeper for the British hype jobs.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Tbf I keep forgetting he is only 29 so time on his side
If in your prime you don't decisively beat a 37 year old Derek Chisora, a guy with 10 losses already on his record, you're not going to do much in this sport. Chisora is a gatekeeper at best, really very near journeyman.

These guys just aren't that good.

Niall

International Coach
If in your prime you don't decisively beat a 37 year old Derek Chisora, a guy with 10 losses already on his record, you're not going to do much in this sport. Chisora is a gatekeeper at best, really very near journeyman.

These guys just aren't that good.
Harsh but very true sadly.

I look at his cv and a lot of close fights with decent but few genuine elite fighters (bar Joshua),,,,crawling past Chisora might be his level.

Interesting what Ruiz does after that tougher than expected fight next.

Niall

International Coach
He looks better but he was caught way to often by a journeyman .

I'd like to see him v Wilder but fear the latter would win by decapitation.

Niall

International Coach
Lol.

No surprise BJS was one of those ****wits slagging Dubois for quitting for having a ****ed eye .

Happy enough with that, BJS is an abysmal person even by combat sports so right winner etc.

Not sure people truly realise the absolute greatness that is Canelo, yeah he has fought a few cans, but he's beaten some absolute names.

Best of luck Mr Plant you shall need it.