• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Remembering Mike Gatting

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Most people remember Gatt for the reverse sweep in the World Cup Final, pork pies, and a liking for hotel chamber maids.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
" Such was his consistency at county level that over the next seven years Gatting played in 30 Tests for England, but with a highest score of just 81 and an average of 23.83."

Hah, makes Rory Burns' record look respectable

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Most people remember Gatt for the reverse sweep in the World Cup Final, pork pies, and a liking for hotel chamber maids.
Huge misjustice IMHO, as I've said many times before, English captain who went to OZ and won every comp (yes it was a ****e Oz team, but that didn't stop Botham from becoming legendary for performances against them), his performances in First-class was incredible which earned him those 30 Tests before a century, in a time we had not many good performers in the middle-order.

His middle section of his career after he broke that 100 bogey was World-class

To use that clip of his catching rather neglects that I think he won two catches of the Summer thingies in OZ, caught two brilliant catches off Willis to help enable the "greatest" Ashes comeback, ran out Zaheer Abbas with a sublime piece of fielding.

Also the ****ing reverse sweep, was as I maintain again and again the right shot to play he just played it badly. Put English cricket back twenty years, with risk averseness, when he should be remembered for trying to innovate and move us on, we were still in a winning position in that match but crap conventional shots and silly run-outs afterwards are not mentioned.

If I do have a criticism it is clearly fitness, comparisons to Gooch which were often when they were both big performers in County cricket who hadn't quite performed in Tests, both pretty tubby, was Gooch went on to train with West Ham, become incredibly fit and had a remarkable latter career, Gatt unfortunately decided to take up residence in the Lords tea-rooms, hence the disparity in careers.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Largely agree with grecian's observations. I'd only add that Gatting's captaincy tenure is harshly under-rated by folks who can't look beyond the win percentage. He inherited a mess; team confidence still shattered by the 0-5 loss in the Caribbean and not helped by the selector's cast-of-thousands approach. Comfortably winning in Australia doesn't happen often, and that Aus side was a better line-up than people will have you believe, even if the better players were mostly inexperienced. Losing back to back series with Pakistan, both 0-1, wasn't a disgrace against a side that regularly drew or won series against the WI, and especially given the standard of umpiring in the away series. Shakoor Rana wasn't actually the worst culprit; a gentleman by the name of Shakeel Khan was far worse in the previous test. As Fred said, we started the 1988 series against WI more promisingly than at any time for ages, but then it all fell apart again after Gatting was sacked. If he'd stayed in situ, the 1988 series against WI and the following year's ashes would have been much closer affairs.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Shane Warne charming the crowd with a description of the Gatting ball.

The Gatting ball
Good vid, weird how in short spurts, in an almost rehearsed way Warne can be so engaging, but in commentary he has become such a massive arse, more than Gattings in fact.

BTW Gatting's bowling in domestic cricket was a bit under-rated, particularly in limited overs, could seam it a bit, but on 80s pitches most could, another thing that succumbed to his legendary dining habits.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Huge misjustice IMHO, as I've said many times before, English captain who went to OZ and won every comp (yes it was a ****e Oz team, but that didn't stop Botham from becoming legendary for performances against them), his performances in First-class was incredible which earned him those 30 Tests before a century, in a time we had not many good performers in the middle-order.

His middle section of his career after he broke that 100 bogey was World-class

To use that clip of his catching rather neglects that I think he won two catches of the Summer thingies in OZ, caught two brilliant catches off Willis to help enable the "greatest" Ashes comeback, ran out Zaheer Abbas with a sublime piece of fielding.

Also the ****ing reverse sweep, was as I maintain again and again the right shot to play he just played it badly. Put English cricket back twenty years, with risk averseness, when he should be remembered for trying to innovate and move us on, we were still in a winning position in that match but crap conventional shots and silly run-outs afterwards are not mentioned.

If I do have a criticism it is clearly fitness, comparisons to Gooch which were often when they were both big performers in County cricket who hadn't quite performed in Tests, both pretty tubby, was Gooch went on to train with West Ham, become incredibly fit and had a remarkable latter career, Gatt unfortunately decided to take up residence in the Lords tea-rooms, hence the disparity in careers.
This is pretty much spot on imho. Bloke was a very good player in a tough era for batting.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
Shakkoor Rana is probably the first thing I think of, along with the reverse sweep. As a non Englisher.
I mean the 1987 world cup wasn't even televised where I come from.

Also, having his nose broken in the West Indies, although all captains seemed to get a bone broken on a 1980s West Indies tour.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Shakkoor Rana is probably the first thing I think of, along with the reverse sweep. As a non Englisher.
I mean the 1987 world cup wasn't even televised where I come from.

Also, having his nose broken in the West Indies, although all captains seemed to get a bone broken on a 1980s West Indies tour.
He took far more stick for the reverse sweep (tabloid headline - Gatt the prat) than he did for the Shakkoor Rana incident. A lot of the press and public considered that the establishment sold him down the river by ordering him to apologise to Rana after he'd sacrificed a winning position on a point of principle.
The broken nose was obviously agony for him, but the story got much more attention for the journalist asking him where abouts on the nose he'd been hit as he sat there with bits of his face still embedded in the ball.