• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* 4th Test at the Narendra Modi Stadium, Ahmedabad, 4 - 8 Mar 2021

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Part of the frustration from an England pov is being made to look like complete muppets buy a bowler that we'd not heard of before the series. For all we know, Axar may go on to have a stellar career and take 500 test wickets, in which case we'll look back at this like we do at Warne's 1993 Ashes exploits. But for the moment you just wonder why they can't do better against him.
27 years old and a 1st class average of 25 before this test. Moderate white ball record, more than useful with the bat. Yet it has been carnage

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
I didn't follow the Sri Lanka series but I thought it would be good prep (and England were amazing there and in the 1st test).
What happened after that? I know SL can swing a bit and their side is struggling at the moment, but how different have the conditions been?

KungFu_Kallis

International 12th Man
Part of the frustration from an England pov is being made to look like complete muppets buy a bowler that we'd not heard of before the series. For all we know, Axar may go on to have a stellar career and take 500 test wickets, in which case we'll look back at this like we do at Warne's 1993 Ashes exploits. But for the moment you just wonder why they can't do better against him.
Heh. Reminds me of that Pakistani left arm spinner who kept skittling England (a much better batting line up that vintage) with mostly straight balls in the UAE in 2012. Not 100% sure of his name. Which is kinda the point.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I don’t actually think there’s a lack of fight or determination to do well. They’re just inadequate in unfamiliar conditions against quality opposition.
Someone made a joke about Somerset losing points for the third test's wicket and, like all the best gags, it's rooted in truth.

Aside from the Cidermen's home track and maybe Wantage Road, how many times will a tyro English bat have seen a spinning wicket?

Playing practically all the CC either before June or after August doesn't help either.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Heh. Reminds me of that Pakistani left arm spinner who kept skittling England (a much better batting line up that vintage) with mostly straight balls in the UAE in 2012. Not 100% sure of his name. Which is kinda the point.
Rehman was it? Yeah, that was an absolutely disgusting performance by a bunch of guys who were good enough to have made a much better fist of things. This lot are, for the most part, just not very good.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Someone made a joke about Somerset losing points for the third test's wicket and, like all the best gags, it's rooted in truth.

Aside from the Cidermen's home track and maybe Wantage Road, how many times will a tyro English bat have seen a spinning wicket?

Playing practically all the CC either before June or after August doesn't help either.
Which will obviously be helped by squeezing the Hundred into the sunnier weeks of the season. Yup, this performance is largely down to the idiots running our domestic game.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Played Lawrence. In fairness to the guy he’s done all that could reasonably be asked of a guy who’s selection has meant England went in a bowler short.