• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian Domestic Season 2020/21

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
not counting head, the 3 are pretty obviously usman, maxwell & maddinson, which I think just so happens to be the 3 with the best FC averages, with patterson not considered due to time away and the poor results on his return

if you rule that usman and maddinson are to be considered for top order only, maxwell and henriques are probably the two, and look henriques results have been good, and they've often been game changing runs scored at a quick rate. I don't hate the idea of him at 6, but also, the chances of success aren't great.
I think Usman and Maxwell are kind of blacklisted as long as Langer is coach. I'd actually love to see Maxwell at 6 or Usman as inevitable backup opener when Pucovski and/or Warner are out but I think it's just unrealistic to even bring up.

I think next in line after those guys is probably McDermott. And I rate him but his FC record is gross. Score some runs ****.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
I think Usman and Maxwell are kind of blacklisted as long as Langer is coach. I'd actually love to see Maxwell at 6 or Usman as inevitable backup opener when Pucovski and/or Warner are out but I think it's just unrealistic to even bring up.

I think next in line after those guys is probably McDermott. And I rate him but his FC record is gross. Score some runs ****.
He was scoring runs pretty freely for Tas this season as well as the bbl, hopefully he's turned a corner and can keep it up for a year or two.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Supposedly Usman was "on call" for SA, whatever that means when you've already picked 17 players.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I am old enough to remember Moises dominating in the U17 world cup and everyone thought he was going to be a superstar of the game. A season or two he started to play for NSW and really never took off. It's a shame because he was supposed to be Watson's successor.

What the Australian batsmen pecking order should be in my mind:

Smith
Labuschagne
Warner
Pucovski
Green
Khawaja
Maxwell
Head
Maddinson
Hughes
Harris

I honestly feel that Australia's next test batting lineup should be:

Warner
Khawaja*
Labuschagne
Smith
Green
Maxwell
Paine+
Pattinson
Cummins
Lyon
Hazlewood

Maxwell is contentious, but I thought many times during the summer that he had the potential to turn Australia's fortunes around in a way that Head or Wade scoring 30 and then getting out wouldn't. He's aggressive, something that no other lower order contenders really are (well Wade is, but he can't really build an innings). Starc is wildly out of form and needs to demonstrate some rhythm before he should be picked again.

I know that this lineup isn't going to ever play together because Langer, but that would be my XI for the next test, if it was to be played tomorrow.

DJellett

International Debutant
I haven't really seen Uzzies "gamecraft" as a captain long form closely, excepting scorecards, but he can act a bit gimmicky around "the boys" so I dunno how he'd go as captain of Australia from that pov - same brought Paine down a bit in my eyes - but I'd love if it could happen and he went well. What a smile

the big bambino

International Captain
I kind of suspect Langer isn't a fan of mad dog either. So if Henriques hasn't done anything to upset him he might jump over Usman, Maxie and mad dog. Presuming Head's career continues to fail to launch.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I kind of suspect Langer isn't a fan of mad dog either. So if Henriques hasn't done anything to upset him he might jump over Usman, Maxie and mad dog. Presuming Head's career continues to fail to launch.
Well he was in the squad for SA, so I do think this is the most likely outcome atm.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Who was it around here who really rates Charlie Stobo?

Because he has been called up into the injury and international duties weakened WA 50 over side

TheJediBrah

I don't think he's ever deserved a consistent run in the side, and he's a 30yo+ player with a FC average in the mid 30s which as I've said before, is not exactly promising. Maybe the only time he deserved selection was when he was selected, vs India in 2012-13 when Watson wasn't bowling. But also: he had only scored his FC ton a handful of months before. I can't even recall why he was picked vs SL that one time.

That India tour, he scored twin 50's in the first game, and he hasn't passed 10 in his 3 tests since.
Actually I think he's deserved being picked over the last 2 years more than ever before in his career (as a batsman at least). He's been incredibly consistent and scores runs in a variety of conditions across Australia, not just batting friendly ones.

I don't know if his numbers reflect that tbh, but I'm judging this on watching how he's gone about building an innings, technique etc

Spikey

He looked good in his first couple of games iirc and then disappeared. NSW were doing very weird things with their bowling attack at the time so he probably looked better than he was

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Green's made 201*, 168*, 0 and 144 in his four hit outs since the test series, in some unreal form. Has the potential to do anything