• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
England AT XI is way out of India's league, but that's not exactly unexpected given England have been playing Tests for 150 years

as an aside surely Stokes being in England's ATG Test team is a bit of a stretch

ataraxia

International Coach
FTR my Eng AT XI is:

Hobbs
Sutcliffe
Hutton
Hammond
Grace
Ranji
Ames/Knott
Rhodes/Verity
Lohmann
Trueman
Barnes

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hobbs
Hutton
Barrington
Hammond
Root
Botham
Knott
Verity
Trueman
Anderson
Barnes

Should probably have a really quick bowler in there but hey it is England.

Flem274*

123/5
mine are

players i haven't seen the careers of

hobbs
hutton
hammond
barrington
grace
botham
knott
laker
tyson
trueman
barnes

players i did

cook
trescothick
trott
root
kp
stokes
prior
flintoff
swann
broad
anderson

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
England have a lot of combinations which are possible. I think an attack of Truman, Laker and Botham would be at the centre of any team, as is a top order of Hobbs, Hutton, Sutcliffe and Hammond. Knott is generally the keeper I see most picked. Around this core a number of sides can be built. Grace, Barrington, Ranji, Compton, Rhodes are all batting options. Tyson, Anderson, Larwood and a few others are all options for the other pace position.

Personally today I prefer:

Hobbs
Hutton
Sutcliffe
Hammond
Barrington
Rhodes
Botham
Knott
Truman
Larwood
Laker

Australia are flexible in their openers and their 5/6. Pretty much every other position picks itself - Bradman at 3, Smith at 4, Gilchrist, Warne, Lillee and McGrath are all locks. The third seamer could easily be any of Davidson, Lindwall or Cummins (personally I prefer Davo for the left arm variety). Openers could be any two of Hayden, Trumper, Simpson, Lawry, Ponsford or a few others. 5/6 has Border, Waugh, Miller, G Chappell, Ponting all competing for a spot.

Today I prefer:

Simpson
Hayden
Bradman
Smith
Chappell G
Border
Gilchrist+
Davidson
Warne
Lillee
McGrath

The West Indies have a huge number of choices for their middle order in particular. They lack an ATG spinner but do have Gibbs who would be an adequate backup on decks that required it.

Today I prefer:

Greenidge
Haynes
Richards
Lara
Headley
Sobers
Dujon+
Marshall
Holding/Gibbs
Garner
Ambrose

a massive zebra

International Captain
I agree the England all time XI is well ahead of India. The batting is about the same but England's bowling is way out of India's league, unless they are playing on a raging turner. Even then Laker, Verity, Underwood, Wardle, Rhodes and Swann are arguably comparable to any spin attack India could produce. Having said this, most of the guys who would make the England all time XI are very old players. If we did a post 1965 all time XI, India probably have the edge over England.

Hobbs
Hutton
Hammond
Barrington
Ranji
Botham
Knott
Rhodes
Laker
Trueman
Barnes

And of those I've seen:

Cook
Stewart
Root
Pietersen
Thorpe
Stokes
Prior
Flintoff
Swann
Gough
Anderson

Broad could come in for Flintoff if they had been struggling for wickets and really need to win a game.

Last edited:

Engle

State Vice-Captain
An England AT XI must be picked with the intention of trying to beat the #1 AT XI, an Australia AT XI (and Bradman). The person who may be able to pull this off is Jardine, who was no slouch with the bat. Thus, he gets in as captain, and provided with the tools to do the job.

01. Hobbs
02. Sutcliffe
03. Barrington
04. Hammond (vc)
05. Jardine (c)
06. Botham
07. Knott
08. Trueman
09. Tyson
10. Barnes
11. Verity

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Hobbs
Sutcliffe
Hutton*
Hammond
Barrington
Botham
Knott+
Laker
Trueman
Anderson
Barnes

So long as Anderson is fine at first change this team will do very well. Certainly should have an edge over any Indian side. Lose to Australia, lose to South Africa and the Windies unless its on a turning wicket, where they have a distinct spin advantage. Would be quality contests though.

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
An England AT XI must be picked with the intention of trying to beat the #1 AT XI, an Australia AT XI (and Bradman). The person who may be able to pull this off is Jardine, who was no slouch with the bat. Thus, he gets in as captain, and provided with the tools to do the job.

01. Hobbs
02. Sutcliffe
03. Barrington
04. Hammond (vc)
05. Jardine (c)
06. Botham
07. Knott
08. Trueman
09. Tyson
10. Barnes
11. Verity
So bodyline is allowed in this scenario? Or are we expecting Jardine to come up with another funky anti-Bradman plan

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
XI

B.Lawry
B.Simpson
D.Bradman
G.Chappell
K.Miller
A.Border
A.Gilchrist
R.Lindwall
S.Warne
D.Lillee
G.McGrath

Touring squad

V.Trumper
S.Smith
P.Cummins
A.Davidson
B.OReilly
I.Healy

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Ponting not even in the squad? Harsh AF.
tbh I usually just forget someone in these scenarios. He could replace any of Trumper, Border or Smith. Most likely Trumper, but he is also my reserve opener.