• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia in New Zealand T20s 2021

Chewie

International Vice-Captain
I want this guy named and shamed, through official or non-official channels. What a ****. Has symptoms, linked to Papatoetoe High and also the airport, but goes to the gym after a test. Because of that selfish behaviour, 4 million people have to suffer the consequences. People lose money, their mental health suffers.

Jacinda's boring old kindness **** needs to take a walk. 'No one invites COVID in'. No, bull****. This guy did. It's nice to be kind but there's also a time and place for letting people know they will suffer consequences if they're selfish ****ers.
That's people's emotional reactions but we don't want to make people afraid to get tested because of the risk they will be named and shamed - we want as many people to get tested as we can and we don't want any stigma associated with it. It's especially important in South Auckland with many people there not trusting of the healthcare system because of past experiences with racism in the system and due to its proximity with the airport and many people who live in South Auckland working in that area.

At the end of the day, at least this guy did get tested and we haven't had a longer period of covid spreading unnoticed throughout South Auckland - that would be even worse for businesses.

The person probably feels pretty ****ty about it already and if you add the whole country as well piling on as well, I'd hate to imagine what that would do to someone's mental health.

Flem274*

123/5
This is interesting because I’ve heard Wellington is lovely on the dozen or so days a year it’s sunny and not windy. A mate I went to school with went there for a week way back and got that sort of weather. Loved it so much he moved there and opened a recording studio in town. Been there twenty plus years so and still loves it, but said the first visit was the longest stretch of good weather he’s had there
i dont have many issues with welly but its in danger of going full melbourne with the pretentiousness

it's still infinitely better than auckland. if youre a sports fan you can't move to christchurch either, ever. the bias is incredible. "urrr reeeee bryn hall should be an all black urr duurrrrr will jordan best playa on planet reeeeeeeee"

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Love the area around Hagley Park in Christchurch. All those lovely old Victorian-era buildings that you only get in Christchurch and Dunedin. You always get a strange feeling of it being a much smaller town than it is - not really any high-rises so it kinda feels a bit like Lower Hutt on steroids.

Wellington proper is lovely. Nothing beats taking the dog for a walk through the town belt on a sunny day, before nipping down the hill to go grab lunch somewhere around Oriental Bay or Cuba Street. Very right about the level of underinvestment in public infrastructure though. It's ridiculous that there's still no dedicated bike lane on Old Hutt Road connecting the city to Lower Hutt (biking on the side of the road with cars whizzing past at 100k's is not fun), and so many of the hill side streets are so narrow that trying to drive through them is a nightmare.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
That's people's emotional reactions but we don't want to make people afraid to get tested because of the risk they will be named and shamed - we want as many people to get tested as we can and we don't want any stigma associated with it. It's especially important in South Auckland with many people there not trusting of the healthcare system because of past experiences with racism in the system and due to its proximity with the airport and many people who live in South Auckland working in that area.

At the end of the day, at least this guy did get tested and we haven't had a longer period of covid spreading unnoticed throughout South Auckland - that would be even worse for businesses.

The person probably feels pretty ****ty about it already and if you add the whole country as well piling on as well, I'd hate to imagine what that would do to someone's mental health.
I don't really understand this viewpoint, and I heard both Ardern and Hipkins say it. There's no issue in getting tested. Having symptoms, or not even having symptoms and going to get tested is to be admired. It's a scary thing. Even having COVID, that's something I have sympathy for. What I do not have sympathy for is being that ****ing stupid that you go for a test, having presented with symptoms and not only being a close (or close plus, whatever it is) contact for Papatoetoe High, but also working at the airport FFS, and thinking it's OK to then shoot off to the gym. That is a new level of dumb. And reckless. That's taking a flamethrower to people's health and the economy. And Jacinda says the government has the power to impose penalties on people who don't comply (idle threat).

OK, he got tested...but honestly, that was obvious as something he needed to do given the warning signs. He should feel ****ty about it, he did something really, really stupid. I have no problem with a very clear warning shot to the rest of the country that if you do something equally as dumb, there will be repercussions. I probably got too heated about naming him but to me the trust model and the 'be kind no one means to get COVID' is running pretty thin.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Regional beefs are so stupid. Just face it, your town sucks just like every other town.
My town is awesome, and everyone wants to live in it or holiday in it.

Wellington is pretty decent. It is basically a bigger, windier version of Dunedin with no off street parking.
True I've never lived there but I absolutely adore Wellington. It's just an amazing place to visit for so many reasons. I've thought many times about going to live there, but my happiness is too dependent on good weather.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Also, I’ve not been there but heard Invercargill is quite grim. I also seem to recall there was a lot of anti-Auckland sentiment on here several years back.

Personally I liked Auckland but it’s always different when you’re there as a tourist. Loved Napier, all that Art Deco architecture is fantastic. Some very good wines around there too. Went there to play golf at Cape Kidnappers in about 2007 or 2008. What a ****ing course that is.
Any town where the weather is as variable as Invercargill, and as grim at its worst, is bound to be not as high on the to-do list.

What's the sentiment around the best places to be in NZ? Napier used to be a bit **** but is now great. Hastings just down the road is on the improve as well, and Havelock is beautiful. Taupo is magic but probably over-touristy. Queenstown is probably dead-ish now, and has been soulless thanks to relocated Aucklanders and overreliance on tourism for the last 10 years. I love Paihia but it's probably too remote to rank high, New Plymouth goes alright, and as I said before I'd put Wellington at the top as long as by the sounds of it you don't have to live there and commute/be brought down by the climate.

Flem274*

123/5
new plymouth is gorgeous, arguably the most beautiful town behind queenstown, but you've gotta conform (tho things are improving).

impressed with the mount on the few times i've been there. any coastal village in the coromandel goes all right too.

i can't remember too much of napier and hamilton doesn't take advantage of its river. raglan is quite nice.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
The Mount is getting too big for its boots, turning into the Hamptons. It is beautiful though and plenty to do, ideal outdoor lifestyle - which is why all the money is heading there

TheBrand

First Class Debutant
I've lived in Wellington, Auckland and now Christchurch over the last decade. Have loved all of them for different reason, but with the amount of progress thats gone into Chch lately - I definitely think it's the best place to live in the country, definitely will be in 5-10 years. Plus as exorbitant as house prices are it's only just starting to hit here now... haha.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Any town where the weather is as variable as Invercargill, and as grim at its worst, is bound to be not as high on the to-do list.

What's the sentiment around the best places to be in NZ? Napier used to be a bit **** but is now great. Hastings just down the road is on the improve as well, and Havelock is beautiful. Taupo is magic but probably over-touristy. Queenstown is probably dead-ish now, and has been soulless thanks to relocated Aucklanders and overreliance on tourism for the last 10 years. I love Paihia but it's probably too remote to rank high, New Plymouth goes alright, and as I said before I'd put Wellington at the top as long as by the sounds of it you don't have to live there and commute/be brought down by the climate.
Nelson for the win imo, although a bit isolated.

Last edited:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's curious, but some of the places people are referencing here are ones I've never heard of, including Cambridge and The Mount. I don't know if they're decent sized centres or not, but I was talking more generally about bigger cities - the sort of equivalent of State capitals and/ or Cairns/ Newcastle type places here.

Like, if you're talking all over Australia, the biggest **** hole would be somewhere like Oodnadatta which is in the middle of the SA desert and there's literally nothing around. They even sell "Asshole of South Australia" tee shirts there with pics of a Donkey on them. It's terrible beyond measure, basically it just exists to be at the bottom of the Birdsville Track, and no other reason. It literally has a sign saying "Ausralia's hottest and driest town" which, you know, isn't a great selling point imo.

But no one cares, because it's population is 204. I'm talking about decent sized places that are ****. I don't know, what I've seen of NZ has always been thoroughly charming so there really may not be any decent sized **** joints around, but it would be unusual for there not to be in pretty much any country imo, save a micro State.

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
It's curious, but some of the places people are referencing here are ones I've never heard of, including Cambridge and The Mount. I don't know if they're decent sized centres or not, but I was talking more generally about bigger cities - the sort of equivalent of State capitals and/ or Cairns/ Newcastle type places here.

Like, if you're talking all over Australia, the biggest **** hole would be somewhere like Oodnadatta which is in the middle of the SA desert and there's literally nothing around. They even sell "Asshole of South Australia" tee shirts there with pics of a Donkey on them. It's terrible beyond measure, basically it just exists to be at the bottom of the Birdsville Track, and no other reason. It literally has a sign saying "Ausralia's hottest and driest town" which, you know, isn't a great selling point imo.

But no one cares, because it's population is 204. I'm talking about decent sized places that are ****. I don't know, what I've seen of NZ has always been thoroughly charming so there really may not be any decent sized **** joints around, but it would be unusual for there not to be in pretty much any country imo, save a micro State.
We only really have three decent sized places, so it's thin pickings in the first place :laugh: