• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How good was Gilchrist?

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
I’d go with Oldfield as the best stumper ever tbh. 52 stumpings in just 54 tests, still the record 80+ years later. Also had 263 in 245 first class matches.
Just quickly going thru Oldfield's fielding career, at a glance he must've kept up to the stumps to almost every bowler, not just the spinners.

CodeOfWisden

U19 Debutant
As Bambino pointed out, that's not what I said at all, however a choice between Andy Flower and Wriddhiman Saha is actually pretty close. I might go with Saha tbh, because the alternative is still playing Flower as a batsman. You don't lose him all together.

In fact Zimbabwe did almost exactly that in the early-00's when Tatenda Taibu came on to the scene. He was a tiny kid who was a decent keeper and could hold a bat (but nothing special) and he was rushed in so that Flower didn't have to keep (or try to) anymore. I can guarantee you if Zimbabwe had Saha during Flower's career there's absolutely no chance that he would have been keeping in Test cricket
Nah, you are beating around the bush here.
A direct one to one between Saha and Flower? Who do you pick. Considering that the one you pick will keep wickets.

CodeOfWisden

U19 Debutant
At the end of this series i will pull the stats of the second coming of Godfrey Evans and Rishabh Pant(horrible keeper according to quite a few posters here) .
Both with the bat and the gloves, actually i won't stop there this thread is going to get an update every series where Pant plays.

Just to point out how this convention of picking best keeper is quite illogical.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Nah, you are beating around the bush here.
A direct one to one between Saha and Flower? Who do you pick. Considering that the one you pick will keep wickets.
Depending on my bowling attack, probably Saha. I don't think you appreciate how sucky Flower's keeping was

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Just quickly going thru Oldfield's fielding career, at a glance he must've kept up to the stumps to almost every bowler, not just the spinners.
Yeah, there are recorded instances of him keeping up to the stumps to Ryder, Kelleway, McCabe & McCormick along with the litany of Aussie spin bowlers from the time such as Grimmett, O'Reilly, Fleetwood-Smith, Ward, Mailey & Ironmonger.

Cricnerds

Cricket Spectator
He was nothing special, he just played as opening batsman and many regards him as best wicket keeper. Gilchrist has scored over 15,000 runs in international cricket, averaging 47.60 in Tests at a strike-rate of 82. His ODI average is 35.89 at a strike-rate of 97. So nothing special.

Spark

Global Moderator
Also media: Foakes is a better keeper than Pant.

Reality in this series being polar opposite.
Who needs to actually watch cricket, right? Context, technique and past performances be damned, all that matters is one stat I can wave in everyone's face.

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
Who needs to actually watch cricket, right? Context, technique and past performances be damned, all that matters is one stat I can wave in everyone's face.
The irony of this post in regards to the original comparison is glorious.

Flem274*

123/5
why are we arguing the merits of an atg batsman who sucked at keeping vs a good keeper who isn't much of a batsman when gilchrist was an atvg batsman mixed with a good, solid test keeper?

cw is world class at finding an unwinnable argument in the easiest of discussions

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Well when you spent your youth standing up to Germans, it probably seemed like no big deal. Probably copped a few to the head in that time.

No wonder he survived Larwood.

the big bambino

International Captain
Yeah, there are recorded instances of him keeping up to the stumps to Ryder, Kelleway, McCabe & McCormick along with the litany of Aussie spin bowlers from the time such as Grimmett, O'Reilly, Fleetwood-Smith, Ward, Mailey & Ironmonger.
He'd have stood up to all others but if he stood up to McCormick I'd be impressed.