• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* 2nd Test at the MA Chidambaram Stadium, Chennai, 13 - 17 Feb 2021

Burner

International Regular
I really place no stock in this historical anachronism about how we should show ultimate deference to the guys responsible for holding hats and giving LBWs but Kohli was really pushing it. I think he thought he could get away with more because the umpires were Indian and BCCI are always going to back him over the umpires. And I think that's what left a bad taste in my mouth - it seemed intimidatory. I think if the umpires were neutral, I would be much more willing to dismiss it. Deserves a ban IMO.

He was also getting irate with the umpire when he clearly ran onto the pitch (even though it may not be on purpose) and they (rightly) gave him a warning for it. I think a one match ban is not unreasonable
It's not the first time he's behaved like this to home umpires. I remember a game in IPL where he was even more a prick. It's a really really bad look into the superstar culture of Indian cricket when you see an umpire who theoretically has the authority to tell someone like Kohli to go get ****ed, look like he's trying his best to not lose his job and aquiesce to the bullying.

custodiansofcricket

Cricket Spectator
Sure our seam bowling is good, but we're not there yet.
Naah. We are the best.

Since Bumrah's debut.

Stat's don't lie. Don't fall for the narratives set up by the Aus/Eng media. They overhype their players a lot.

Nathan Lyon isn't an ATG or anywhere close to Ashwin. He is a solid good to very good spinner. Nothing more.
Anderson/Broad aren't ATGs. They are very good players who are great at home and adequate away. Nothing more.

cnerd123

likes this
Axar Patel has only crossed 100 with the bat one time in his professional career - 110 in a Ranji game vs Baroda in 2016 on a road. It was a meaningless innings as the match was drawn without either side batting a 2nd innings. In the 2019/20 domestic season he scored 3 fifties in the Ranji trophy, a couple of fifties in the SMAT, and 98* for India C in the Deodhar Trophy. Useful for a number 8/9, but that's about it. His career batting accomplishments are nowhere close to Ashwin's or Jadeja's.

He's did score some serious runs for Gujurat U19s and U25s, but I guess that's either the cap of his ability, or his batting has deteriorated significantly since then.

karan_fromthestands

State Captain
Moeen took 8 wickets and was England's top scorer in the 4th dig but I can't help but feel like he did more bad then good for England this game. Truely weird feeling.
Moeen did well overall, got Kohli twice, and produced a lot of unplayable deliveries. You can blame him for bowling a few bad deliveries here and there, but Bess is the same. Maybe going with three spinners would have helped? and Moeen shouldn't be your main spinner IMO. He can bat at 7(or open) and provide support to the main bowlers.

Also, his batting in the second innings was entertaining, he was just attacking any round object that came near him as there was a number 11 on the other end :p . Having said that, why can't Moeen simply open in SC conditions and go after the bowlers? I think that's the best way his batting can be used in these conditions.

karan_fromthestands

State Captain
Axar Patel has only crossed 100 with the bat one time in his professional career - 110 in a Ranji game vs Baroda in 2016 on a road. It was a meaningless innings as the match was drawn without either side batting a 2nd innings. In the 2019/20 domestic season he scored 3 fifties in the Ranji trophy, a couple of fifties in the SMAT, and 98* for India C in the Deodhar Trophy. Useful for a number 8/9, but that's about it. His career batting accomplishments are nowhere close to Ashwin's or Jadeja's.

He's did score some serious runs for Gujurat U19s and U25s, but I guess that's either the cap of his ability, or his batting has deteriorated significantly since then.
You are right, but we are kind of expecting him to do too much with the bat because we are looking at him as Jadeja's replacement. But if you are just looking at him as a bowling-allrounder, he has great potential as he is someone who can bowl according to the conditions(go for the wickets or block the flow of runs if the pitch isn't favourable) and bat at number 8 to score useful 30s and 40s.

the big bambino

International Captain
Just like how you cannot win in Australia without having minimum 2 quality hit the deck fast bowlers
India have won the last 2 series in Australia. Apart from Bumrah who have been India's hard length bowlers? Even Ishant proved more effective in the series he played by moving the ball.

Kirkut

International Regular
Naah. We are the best.

Since Bumrah's debut.

Stat's don't lie. Don't fall for the narratives set up by the Aus/Eng media. They overhype their players a lot.

Nathan Lyon isn't an ATG or anywhere close to Ashwin. He is a solid good to very good spinner. Nothing more.
Anderson/Broad aren't ATGs. They are very good players who are great at home and adequate away. Nothing more.
I would prefer a duration of over 5 years to see where our seam attack ranks among the best of all time. The year 2025 will give a good picture of it, till then I am content that we have a pretty good seam attack.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Six words.

No dukes. No clouds. No green top

The matches where it has gone wrong in real quick time due to Anderson had all these three components.

Anderson will be bowling in sunny Ahmedabad on prolly a turning track.

Even in the Adelaide D/N test he took wickets under lights in the 2nd innings. First innings Australia scored a ****load of runs.

Also India too will have an insane seam attack (better than England's tbh) so I don't see England scoring much runs either if conditions favour seamers. Hazlewood/Cummins made England go down on their knees and Ishant 2.0/Bumrah are as good.
That's 7 words

Kirkut

International Regular
India have won the last 2 series in Australia. Apart from Bumrah who have been India's hard length bowlers? Even Ishant proved more effective in the series he played by moving the ball.
Ishant Sharma does not move the ball much in Australia, Shami too does not get too much lateral movement when he's bowling in Australia. Both bowled at good pace and made the most of the bounce offered by the pitch. Our recent series triumph in 2020/21 was more due to brilliant teamwork than individual performances by bowlers, rare to happen again.

Teams mandatorily need 2 bowlers who have good pace and utilize the bounce best to win in Australia. South Africa had the ideal blueprint for it with Steyn and Morkel.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Like the first test of this series or even the series in 2012? Look mate, you seem to be new here. Just wondering if you've thought about youtube or cricinfo to discuss your cricket thoughts?
Something tells me he's very familiar with CW

hazsa19

International Regular
Genuine question, all this talk of ‘green tops’ in England... do we actually see ‘green tops’ outside of the CC these days? The pitch at TB is usually pretty helpful, but apart from that our pitches are pretty flat now aren’t they? It’s more the overheads that bring swing into the equation.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Genuine question, all this talk of ‘green tops’ in England... do we actually see ‘green tops’ outside of the CC these days? The pitch at TB is usually pretty helpful, but apart from that our pitches are pretty flat now aren’t they? It’s more the overheads that bring swing into the equation.
Not many, one greentop in about ten matches.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Genuine question, all this talk of ‘green tops’ in England... do we actually see ‘green tops’ outside of the CC these days? The pitch at TB is usually pretty helpful, but apart from that our pitches are pretty flat these days aren’t they? It’s more the overheads that bring swing into the equation.
Yeah green tops in England are rare as ****.

You get them in New Zealand and South Africa sometimes.