• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* 2nd Test at the MA Chidambaram Stadium, Chennai, 13 - 17 Feb 2021

Kirkut

International Regular
The blueprint to win in India is to have 2 quality spinners and a bowler skilled in reverse swing (if he can bowl at 87-90 mph, that's an added bonus). Just like how you cannot win in Australia without having minimum 2 quality hit the deck fast bowlers even if you have 3 ATG spinners/swing bowlers in your side.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Any chance pandya might play in that test? Shami returning is definitely good news though i don't really know whom we will play with bumrah resting this one.
If Shami is available, he plays in place of Ishant. Just call it resting, it will fly.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Hope England picks up Archer (if fit). He has bit of an X-factor.
Lot of decisions to make for the England selectors.

As the third is a day/nighter they'll definitely be thinking of both Anderson and Broad, and if Woakes isn't selected for it his presence in the squad has been a nonsense.

But Anderson, Broad and Woakes plus Stokes is definitely overkill, and we've also got Wood joining the squad too. Oh, and Sam Curran. Stone did nothing wrong in the second, really. And then there's Jofra.

It's definitely a case of trying to pour a gallon into a pint glass.

I just hope it isn't fudged by giving Jonny Red the gloves and batting Woakes or Curran at #7.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Not sure why Rohit didn't win Mom.

Nice to see we are resting to Moeen to make sure he can be fit to sit on the bench in the ODIs, T20 and the IPL. The other resting decisions I can kind of understand but spin bowlers are kinda key in these conditions and England don't exactly have a wealth of options to bring in.

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
avoid defeat? lol

we are the favourites.

England lucked out on the first test playing in the most benign of surfaces where India couldn't even field Axar. The next three innings have been mediocre and a reflection of England's true ability. That 500 odd was the outlier.

Even if the pitch aids seam (which it might but certainly not to the degree people imagine) England are hardly good against seam and with Bumrah, Ishant and Siraj I don't see them scoring much here. And don't be fooled by Anderson's two wickets on a wearing 5th day pitch. He is still a very very mediocre bowler outside England even in other pace friendly nations like Australia etc. In fact Bumrah (who has two less away 5 for compared to Anderson) in like 10-20% of the matches is far superior. Just compare their efforts in the respective first innings.

India have the better batsmen, better spinners, better pacers. England lucked out due to an unfair toss based pitch, selection/injury issues and India getting no practice after a historic high down under.

This match is what the two sides are on true potential. 3-1 India. English fans can support us during the WTC final in England.
Two words. Swing, Anderson.

Things can go very wrong in real quick time for India.

JOJOXI

International Vice-Captain
How grassy was the pitch vs Bangladesh in the D/N Test just wondering if the SG ball will swing under lights significantly or if the seamers ruling roost v Bangladesh was more pitch then conditions?

custodiansofcricket

Cricket Spectator
Two words. Swing, Anderson.

Things can go very wrong in real quick time for India.
Six words.

No dukes. No clouds. No green top.

The matches where it has gone wrong in real quick time due to Anderson had all these three components.

Anderson will be bowling in sunny Ahmedabad on prolly a turning track.

Even in the Adelaide D/N test he took wickets under lights in the 2nd innings. First innings Australia scored a ****load of runs.

Also India too will have an insane seam attack (better than England's tbh) so I don't see England scoring much runs either if conditions favour seamers. Hazlewood/Cummins made England go down on their knees and Ishant 2.0/Bumrah are as good.

karan_fromthestands

State Captain
We should find a way to combine him and Washy into one player.
Axar's bowling is good, needs to get a few more chances with the bat before we can really judge him(I am sure he can be a valuable asset with the bat like Ashwin). With Ashwin and Axar at 7 and 8(or the other way round), our lower order looks good even without Jadeja.

I think he'll end up becoming a better bowler than Jadeja, but might not be able to match his prowess with the bat. Axar's bowling is already a little refined(compared to how Jadeja bowled when he started off) and will only improve going forward. I've seen quite a few games where he has played for Gujarat, he can bowl at a quick pace like he did in this game, and can also slow it down and beat the batsmen in flight.

custodiansofcricket

Cricket Spectator
How grassy was the pitch vs Bangladesh in the D/N Test just wondering if the SG ball will swing under lights significantly or if the seamers ruling roost v Bangladesh was more pitch then conditions?
It was Eden in November. It always swings.

bhuvi killing it