• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Indian players racially abused at SCG

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
It's awful that he had to be subjected to racial abuse, but, and I hate to be that guy, but this:

while also being told to "stop waving (his) f--king flag" and to "shut the f--k up and sit down."
... isn't racist, and sounds like he maybe his excitement about attending the game might've geared him up to be *that annoying guy* at the cricket. "That Annoying Guy" should always be told to can it IMO.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
It's awful that he had to be subjected to racial abuse, but, and I hate to be that guy, but this:

... isn't racist, and sounds like he maybe his excitement about attending the game might've geared him up to be *that annoying guy* at the cricket. "That Annoying Guy" should always be told to can it IMO.
Yeah but the context matters... If you were frisked more coz of your skin color, if you were watched more because of your skin color, it is not unreasonable to conclude that you were told to can it because of your skin color too. So, yes, it does seem to be racist to me.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That bar has gone now, actually. I went past yesterday and that whole building has been demolished.

I can’t recall whether you did or not mate, but will catch it up on the flip side

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If it's bookened by chants of curry muncher then you probably don't need to mention the fact that you were told to stop waving your flag to make your point.
We don't know what he was asked though. Maybe he didn't use it to make his point.

In the stands, Kumar says he heard chants of "curry munchers" directed at India's players and fans, while also being told to "stop waving (his) f--king flag" and to "shut the f--k up and sit down."
e.g. "I heard chants of curry munchers at fans and players"

5 minutes of other questions from CNN reporter

"Oh I was also told to stop waving my ****ing flag and stfu"

And then the reporter put those two together.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
We don't know what he was asked though. Maybe he didn't use it to make his point.

e.g. "I heard chants of curry munchers at fans and players"

5 minutes of other questions from CNN reporter

"Oh I was also told to stop waving my ****ing flag and stfu"

And then the reporter put those two together.
Yeah that's fair enough. I'm always on board to just ignore the corporate press.

cnerd123

likes this
also in the context of local fans yelling at visiting fans to stop doing things to support their team. Like maybe they were not asking Australian flags to be taken down, only Indian ones? Dunnow the deets, but there are contexts where it is worse than it sounds in isolation.

It's weird because the fandom in International cricket runs down national lines, and a lot of domestic cricket runs along ethnic/regional lines. So being a dick to another cricket fan often involves being a dick to someone of a different race, leading to questioning the motivations behind the dickishness.

Shri

Mr. Glass
its weird because when i went to the ashes test in 2017 at the scg, security didn't say more than one word to me and they were not very chatty in general

maybe they got people in from brisbane for security gigs back in the day because of covid? idk

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
its weird because when i went to the ashes test in 2017 at the scg, security didn't say more than one word to me and they were not very chatty in general

maybe they got people in from brisbane for security gigs back in the day because of covid? idk
State of the game and opponent may have played a role too...

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
If it's bookened by chants of curry muncher then you probably don't need to mention the fact that you were told to stop waving your flag to make your point.
Nah, this is stupid. When someone asks what happened and you tell them what you were told, you should not be thinking "hah, let me only talk about the directly racist abuse and leave the rest of the abuse out", that is just dishonest.

Spark

Global Moderator
I've gone to a few games involving India here -- the ODI here and the Test in Perth the last time out -- and I can say that there is a difference in what the Indian vs Australian fans do. Waving flags (especially) and really loudly cheering boundaries, for example, is definitely not something most of the Australian fans did whereas it's something lots of the Indian fans did. I will say, though, that most of the Australian fans I was around really enjoyed that as adding to the atmosphere and some of them them actually actively took part in the chanting and cheering. You have to be a real **** to try and police people cheering their team on at a game of cricket.

I have seen, though, that some people do get really annoyed by flags, for the simple reason that they block other people's view. That would happen at most games of cricket, tbh, the most obvious instance of "sit the **** down" that I can recall was directed at a white lady during the Women's WT20 who had a Beth Mooney sign and kept waving it in the air whenever Mooney hit any runs, which was often that day.

All of which is to say that it seems to me that, like 99% of the focus and opprobrium should be focussed on the "curry muncher" people, whereas "shut up and sit the **** down/take the flags down" is something that I would find pretty generic at an Australian cricket ground. People, understandably, do not like having their view blocked.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
My point is there is no reason to seperate these things. Even if one is more common and perhaps not racist in isolation, I do feel these are connected here. We also saw a lovely video of an Aussie fan at Brisbane singing with the Indian fans. So, it is obviously the very odd idiot who is like this and they spoil it for the greater crowd. At the same time, you have to notice how scarred the guy who is making this complaint was due to this incident.

Long point short, I dont believe in isolating different things here and it all should be addressed together. Maybe this guy wont have even brought up the flag thing if there was no racial abuse surrounding it.

Spark

Global Moderator
But people also have a right to be able to, you know, watch the cricket. Treating "take the flag down" as the same as racial abuse just doesn't make sense, bigger picture or not.