• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Josh Hazlewood vs James Anderson

Hazlewood vs Anderson

• Hazlewood

• Anderson

Results are only viewable after voting.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Still, experience helps. Anderson struggled at the start of his career. Slightly unfair on Hazlewood to cherry pick stats. The longer Anderson has played the better he’s got and the same will probably happen to Hazlewood. I do think Anderson just gets my vote but it is a close call. I wouldn’t have bothered with the thread otherwise. 25.65 average from 55 tests is still excellent for Hazlewood. One great innings return from Anderson doesn’t change anything about the thread really considering overall Anderson still averages more. There is a case to vote for Hazlewood counting the whole career considering that but I’m voting for Anderson based on current time which was why I made the thread
A lot of people want to have their cake and eat it too. Like ingoring the first part of Anderson's career because his stats aren't as good, and then also giving him all the credit for having such a long career in the same breath. You have to either accept both or neither.

Groundking

International Debutant
A lot of people want to have their cake and eat it too. Like ingoring the first part of Anderson's career because his stats aren't as good, and then also giving him all the credit for having such a long career in the same breath. You have to either accept both or neither.
If you get rid of the **** years he's still had a long career, 113 tests since the start of 2010 (458 @ 23.92) is still ridiculous for a fast bowler, only 5 have had longer careers (Kallis, Broad, McGrath, Kapil Dev and Walsh)

greg

International Debutant
If you get rid of the **** years he's still had a long career, 113 tests since the start of 2010 (458 @ 23.92) is still ridiculous for a fast bowler, only 5 have had longer careers (Kallis, Broad, McGrath, Kapil Dev and Walsh)
Well quite. The complaints that Anderson's stats are being "cherry picked" are ridiculous when you consider that these stats are covering a period and number of matches that would be in excess of the vast majority of bowlers in history.

BSM

U19 Cricketer
I'm not ignoring the early part of his career generally tbf, I just don't think its relevant to a comparison of Anderson and Hazelwood currently - the subject of this discussion - when Anderson has been better over the seven years of Hazelwood's career. You could argue that a lot of people also do the reverse of that as well; give too much weight to his early career in arguing he isn't good away, and then do not give credit to him for blatantly improving overtime when he actually starts to perform consistently well in those same conditions.

Flem274*

123/5
when james anderson takes a 6fer in sri lanka the english declare him an atg, when tim southee takes 19 wickets @ 15 from 4 tests in the same country the goalposts disappear to a new field.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Well Tim's career is following a similar trajectory to Jimmy's, seemingly getting better and better over time. Only he's more in the 2015 Jimmy phase, when many were still on the fence about his greatness. Then he had the best 5 years of his career.

If Tim does that he may well become a great yet. Go for it Tim, I've always rated you.

BSM

U19 Cricketer
when james anderson takes a 6fer in sri lanka the english declare him an atg, when tim southee takes 19 wickets @ 15 from 4 tests in the same country the goalposts disappear to a new field.
Well no, people were using Anderson's 6/40 to counter the stupid argument that Anderson couldn't bowl away from home. I think it was just you that was obsessed with the atg thing iirc.

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
Anderson has taken twice as many wickets as Southee at a much superior average. They're the goalposts.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Anderson has taken twice as many wickets as Southee at a much superior average. They're the goalposts.
When Jimmy was Southee's age his average was actually worse.

If Southee goes on to play consistently until he's 38 and averages 20 between now and then I'll definitely rate him ahead of Jimmy tbh. That's... very unusual for a fast bowler though, which is why Jimmy is so great.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I guess its just repeating myself at this point and it gives me no real pleasure to say this coz he does come across as a very **** person, but Anderson is a great cricketer and a great bowler. Not quite ATG but surely the tier below that. Hazlewood has made a strong start to his career but he still has at least half of his career to go, so no comparison would be just between either, but if I have to pick, I will pick Anderson.

TheJediBrah

I'm not ignoring the early part of his career generally tbf, I just don't think its relevant to a comparison of Anderson and Hazelwood currently - the subject of this discussion - when Anderson has been better over the seven years of Hazelwood's career. You could argue that a lot of people also do the reverse of that as well; give too much weight to his early career in arguing he isn't good away, and then do not give credit to him for blatantly improving overtime when he actually starts to perform consistently well in those same conditions.
Wasn't referring to anyone in particular, just a general observation

TheJediBrah

will be a cloudy day in hell before some admit anderson is any good
In this regard he's a victim of his own success. Of course he's a great bowler with an incredible career but him holding records like most wickets triggers people who then have to point out his shortcomings to make sure he isn't rated ahead of Hadlee, McGrath, Marshall, Ambrose etc. Which is somewhat understandable because they are clearly superior, but as a result it can come across as people saying that Anderson is no good

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
he isn't rated ahead of Hadlee, McGrath, Marshall, Ambrose etc. Which is somewhat understandable because they are clearly superior, but as a result it can come across as people saying that Anderson is no good
Not at CW, where the argument seems to be that he actually is no good without a particular ball or particular conditions which is stupid, tstl.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
lol english spam against windies etc and an average difference of 2 runs
I like Southee but a comparison of their respective records does not favour him. If you were to adjust Southee's record so that he played the same relative mix of opponents as Anderson (both home and away), Southee would be averaging 33.18. Southee also averages 34 with the 'cheat ball' so you can't really point to that as a reason for the difference. Now I think there are several reasons why that probably exaggerates the gap between the two, but crapping on about how Anderson is rubbish, or even about how Anderson and Southee are on the same level just makes you look like a bit of a dickhead.

TheJediBrah

Not at CW, where the argument seems to be that he actually is no good without a particular ball or particular conditions which is stupid, tstl.
Yes but what I'm saying is that his success exacerbates those comments. If he had 300 wickets you wouldn't see them anywhere near as much.