• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian test selection 2020/21

Flem274*

123/5
mcgraths ave there just ridiculous

pat cummins is also really good given he bowls first change. the spinners there might be getting affected by only getting 3-4 rather than all 6 chances to dismiss a top 6 bat.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Not sure it works like that given it's based on pure averages rather than quantity
Yeah for all the wickets Warne isn't taking against openers who get out before he bowls, he's also not conceding runs against them.

I don't think it's a particular revelation that spinners - particularly spinners with good variations - are disportionately good against the tail though, which means their averages would have to be weaker against the top order than you might initially think for their final averages to make sense.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Yeah for all the wickets Warne isn't taking against openers who get out before he bowls, he's also not conceding runs against them.

I don't think it's a particular revelation that spinners - particularly spinners with good variations - are disportionately good against the tail though, which means their averages would have to be weaker against the top order than you might initially think for their final averages to make sense.
Lyon is not someone I would consider having "good variations" though.

Spark

Global Moderator
The BBL is by far the most effective means Australian has of reaching younger generations and less traditional (i.e. non-Anglo) demographics that otherwise are getting courted extremely heavily by the AFL/NRL. The long-term health of the game depends as much on broadening the talent pool and getting as many of these kids interested in cricket as it does the Shield.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
The BBL is by far the most effective means Australian has of reaching younger generations and less traditional (i.e. non-Anglo) demographics that otherwise are getting courted extremely heavily by the AFL/NRL. The long-term health of the game depends as much on broadening the talent pool and getting as many of these kids interested in cricket as it does the Shield.
100%

sunilz

International Regular
Just completed The Test documentary.
My question here is what do you people feel about Warner?
Smith gave his best effort in IND tour 2017 and Eng tour 2019 and Warner flopped in both those series despite being the 2nd most important batsman. Infact if Warner had averaged even 40 in those tours , Aus could have won both these series.

Gob

International Coach
Smith gave his best effort in IND tour 2017 and Eng tour 2019 and Warner flopped in both those series despite being the 2nd most important batsman. Infact if Warner had averaged even 40 in those tours , Aus could have won both these series.
That's probably why Warner is significantly inferior to Smith. Both Broad and Ashwin have had Warner's number in right conditions for years.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Warner is immensely useful in home conditions. He's also been a useful batsman overseas at times. He's also far better than his replacement options. He's really the batting equivalent of Ashwin.