• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is This India's Greatest Test Series Victory Overseas?

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It would have been better for us had more centuries been scored though. It wasn't like we were ever in a position to do declaration batting.

Chrish

International Debutant
I don't know if wickets have become more bowling friendly or overall bowling quality has gone up a notch higher, or is it t20 influence, but overall no. of centuries per inning must have declined in past few years. I mean entire series with just one or two centuries aren't rare occurrences these days.

Bijed

International Regular
I don't know if wickets have become more bowling friendly or overall bowling quality has gone up a notch higher, or is it t20 influence, but overall no. of centuries per inning must have declined in past few years. I mean entire series with just one or two centuries aren't rare occurrences these days.
Since Root's debut imo :ph34r:

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I mean it's even hard to get worked up and call for Langer/Paine's blood over this because the fairy tale is such an overwhelming narrative in this series.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I mean it's even hard to get worked up and call for Langer/Paine's blood over this because the fairy tale is such an overwhelming narrative in this series.
Langer is ensuring it stays so too. :laugh: I can see why Aussie fans think he is a brown noser tbh.

Really do think it is time for you guys to make Cummins the test captain.

cnerd123

likes this
So now that the buzz is dying down a bit, I think we should consider some other major overseas victories for India

Their was their first ever overseas Test win, and overseas Series win, came against the New Zealanders in 1967/68. They won the 4 match series 3-1 under the captaincy of the legendary Tiger Pataudi.
A good article on the first win can be found on The Cricket Monthly:

This kicked started a bit of a golden run for India, for they won their next two overseas assignments as well! There was the famous win over the West Indies in 1970/71, where Ajit Wadekar's men won an attritional 5-match series 1-0. This was Sunny's breakthrough series, as he topped the run scoring charts with 774 runs, and was also arguably Dilip Sardesai's greatest performance for India, as he was 2nd in the list with 642 runs. Venkat nabbed 22 wickets in a series dominated by spin - Syed Abid Ali was the leading fast bowler from either side, with 11 wickets across the 5 games.

Later that same year this Indian side made even more history, by winning 1-0 in a 3 match series in England. 1971 was truly a great year for Indian test cricket. It was the spinners who lead the way for India again, with Venkat, Chandra and Bedi playing all 3 Tests for 37 wickets. No English bowler managed more than 8.

India did not win another overseas tour until 1986, tho they did pick up Test wins in New Zealand, West Indies and Australia. However India did not win an overseas Test from Feb 1981 till June 1986, when skipper Kapil Dev put in a MOTM effort to topple Gower's England side at Lords by 5 wickets. There was a century for Vengsarkar and a 5-fer for Chetan Sharma too, and India would go on to win the series 2-0.

Through the 90s and early 00s India picked up overseas wins against Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Zimbabwe and the West Indies, but the highlights were winning in Pakistan in 2004 (for the first time in 6 attempts dating back to 1978. 7 attempts if you include the one-off Asian Test Championship match) and in England in 2007 (the first time since 1986). The next major overseas series win was beating NZ in 2009, and finally beating Australia in 2018.

So looking back through history really quickly, this series ranks up there with the 1971 wins in Eng/WI and the 2018 BG trophy win. It's arguably more of a fairytale than any other overseas series wins tho, and the gap between the Indian and Australian sides on paper in the Gabba test is perhap the biggest gap between any winning Indian side and their rival.

vcs

We didn't even win a Test outside Asia between '87 and '02 or something like that (not counting Zimbabwe I think). Dark times.

Kirkut

International Regular
We didn't even win a Test outside Asia between '87 and '02 or something like that (not counting Zimbabwe I think). Dark times.
Very good teams then. Barring England, all teams were hard to beat, including Zimbabwe which was competitive as well.

vcs

Very good teams then. Barring England, all teams were hard to beat, including Zimbabwe which was competitive as well.
Nah we were garbage. WI post '95, England, NZ etc. were nothing particularly special.

Saying that we played fewer overseas series as well in that period, unsurprisingly boards were reluctant to invite us given how dire and boring we were.

Kirkut

International Regular
Nah we were garbage. WI post '95, England, NZ etc. were nothing particularly special.

Saying that we played fewer overseas series as well in that period, unsurprisingly boards were reluctant to invite us given how dire and boring we were.
NZ and WI at home were hard to beat, WI had Ambrose/Walsh, Bishop and Franklyn Rose till 2000. Back then I guess there weren't any A team tours to foreign countries to get a feel of international conditions, so batsmen had virtually no experience against bounce or lateral movement.

Slifer

International Captain

Only Australia in '95 beat the WI at home in the 90s, so as ordinary as WI were, they were still tough to beat at home. Actually, India had a golden opportunity i think in '96 or '97 but were bundled out for 80 odd chasing 120 or so.

OverratedSanity

Only Australia in '95 beat the WI at home in the 90s, so as ordinary as WI were, they were still tough to beat at home. Actually, India had a golden opportunity i think in '96 or '97 but were bundled out for 80 odd chasing 120 or so.
Ugh that was woeful. Sachin and Dravid had batted brilliantly in the first innings to get india into that position. But probably should have known that any pitch where Kuruvilla can take 5fer isnt going to be easy in the 4th innings.

sunilz

International Regular
So we all seem to be in agreement that this was Indias greatest ever test series victory overseas. But across all formats it’s still the Nidahas trophy isn’t it?
There are 2 kinds of Cricketers, those who played in Nidahas trophy and those who didn't.

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
If we had achieved a series victory in WI series in 1997, it would have been our greatest test series victory overseas ever, at least until this point. That team had awesome reputation, even though they were declining from 1995 or so. Such a shame that it was this close and yet, so far.

Franklyn Ross !!!!!