• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2020/21 New Zealand Domestic Season

James

Cricket Web Owner
LOL, can understand the frustration from Phillips. You have DRS but no actual technology for the 3rd umpire to refer to?

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Well you could flip this around into a more interesting, less stale and leftist atheist musing too. Ponder why New Zealand tends to get such bashful and self-deprecating Charlie Brown returns from a lot of the Indian cricketers that it has tried to promote up into that type of stoic New Zealand sportsman you could put on a coin. It's almost like their hearts may not truly beat with the same pro-individual liberties, anti-patriarchy vision that the white liberal would want them to.

If they could just get a bit more XXX-looking white mischief happening at their local NZ domestic T20s too, rather than Frankie Mackay's more cerebral and homely type of white mischief, there'd be feeling a lot more motivated, probably flourish in a whole new way. Eventually they may do a rival News Corp Super League type of thing with cricket perhaps, just to feel less shackled by leftist messaging.
Athlai:
Well, here we are. Burgey, the Kippax writing staff.
Burgey:
[stops and stares] Wha? [before him is a wall tank the height of the writing room. Manatees are swimming slowly within, and a huge pile of plastic balls sits at one end of the tank. Some of them are snacking on snall fish] What are they?
Athlai:
They're manatees. [gray manatees] Tracey and Corey are from the Gulf of Mexico. Debbie, Grant and Emily are from the Caribbean Sea.
Burgey:
Kippax's posts are written by manatees? [rethinks] Of course, it all makes sense now.
Athlai:
They really are brilliant creatures. [the camera focuses on the ball pile] You see, the right side of the tank is filled with idea balls. [the camera zooms in and pans across] Each ball has a verb, noun, or pop culture reference written on it. There's millions of them. [A manatee swims to the left side of the tank balancing a ball on its nose] The manatees choose an idea ball and swim it over to the joke combine on the other side of the tank. [another manatee swims into the pile] Uh there goes Tracey! She's comin' up with an idea. Oh, she came up with Lance Dry. [another manatee reaches the combine and drops a ball in] The idea balls drop into the joke combine and form part of the new script. [the ball reads "Nairnville Park" as it goes down the pipe into the sorter] Agribusiness Political Buzzwords Historical References Nairnville Park Lance Dry. A perfect Kippax post! I can see it now!

Flem274*

123/5
just watched the guptill dismissal. geez he might be toast. guptill bad form is usually finding fielders then getting out after eating balls, not that.

he can't line up in our next t20 in this state.

thundaboult

International Debutant
Athlai:
Burgey:
[stops and stares] Wha? [before him is a wall tank the height of the writing room. Manatees are swimming slowly within, and a huge pile of plastic balls sits at one end of the tank. Some of them are snacking on snall fish] What are they?
Athlai:
They're manatees. [gray manatees] Tracey and Corey are from the Gulf of Mexico. Debbie, Grant and Emily are from the Caribbean Sea.
Burgey:
Kippax's posts are written by manatees? [rethinks] Of course, it all makes sense now.
Athlai:
They really are brilliant creatures. [the camera focuses on the ball pile] You see, the right side of the tank is filled with idea balls. [the camera zooms in and pans across] Each ball has a verb, noun, or pop culture reference written on it. There's millions of them. [A manatee swims to the left side of the tank balancing a ball on its nose] The manatees choose an idea ball and swim it over to the joke combine on the other side of the tank. [another manatee swims into the pile] Uh there goes Tracey! She's comin' up with an idea. Oh, she came up with Lance Dry. [another manatee reaches the combine and drops a ball in] The idea balls drop into the joke combine and form part of the new script. [the ball reads "Nairnville Park" as it goes down the pipe into the sorter] Agribusiness Political Buzzwords Historical References Nairnville Park Lance Dry. A perfect Kippax post! I can see it now!
:lol: :lol:

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
just watched the guptill dismissal. geez he might be toast. guptill bad form is usually finding fielders then getting out after eating balls, not that.

he can't line up in our next t20 in this state.
Been thinking this for months ? Look at his recent scores on cricinfo, he hasn’t managed anything decent all season.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Feel for Gup, especially because there's a decent queue of guys working to take his spot. He gets this season and deserves it though, he wouldn't be the first cricketer to have a trash season and come back from it, even at his age.

Immenso

I see Mark Chapman has only played 1 T20 game this season for Auckland. Is this a stacked squad reason? Not injured I take it?
He might have a missed a round or 2 pre-xmas because of NZ T20 squad inclusion.

nzfan

Feel for Gup, especially because there's a decent queue of guys working to take his spot. He gets this season and deserves it though, he wouldn't be the first cricketer to have a trash season and come back from it, even at his age.
Yeah he's probably our best ever white ball cricketer along with Ross. Do others warrant a selection in his place? Yes if you are keeping in mind the world cup in India and starting to plan for that. Does Guppy still deserve a place? Yes considering how good he's been in the past. He's still one of the fittest around so age is not necessarily a factor in his case and will be able to turn in around but no reason why he can't play two games out of 3 for BCs and the other one we play an up coming player. I think we should continue with him in one day cricket and get someone else in the squad for T20.

jcas0167

International Debutant
Under the old Charlesworth/Bracewell regime he would probably be out like Astle when he lost form at a similar age. I suppose they did leave Taylor out of the last T20 series and Allen's form is hard to ignore. Australia might not be the team to debut him against though so I suspect they will keep Guptill for those T20's and maybe give Allen a game against Bangladesh.

Flem274*

123/5
seifert / kane / conway / phillips / chapman / neesham / cdg / santner / milne / ferguson / boult imo. if worried about the 5th bowler insert jamieson and bench an allrounder.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Under the old Charlesworth/Bracewell regime he would probably be out like Astle when he lost form at a similar age. I suppose they did leave Taylor out of the last T20 series and Allen's form is hard to ignore. Australia might not be the team to debut him against though so I suspect they will keep Guptill for those T20's and maybe give Allen a game against Bangladesh.
Astle wasn't dropped due to form, he retired because he didn't feel like he was up to it anymore. Probably the worst Bracewell form dropping leading to retirement was Styris from tests.

The Hutt Rec

Astle wasn't dropped due to form, he retired because he didn't feel like he was up to it anymore. Probably the worst Bracewell form dropping leading to retirement was Styris from tests.
I think it was more desire with Astle, wasn’t it? He was dropped prior to that though, then fought his way back in and had some great form before retiring. From memory in his book he said the Bracewell coaching methods and the whole dropping incident sapped a lot of his enjoyment for the game.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Athlai:
Burgey:
Athlai:
Burgey:
Athlai:
This was only mildly amusing until "she came up with Lance Dry". I lost it :lol:

nzfan

Athlai:
Burgey:
Athlai:
Burgey:
Athlai:
Can't make head and tail of either yours of Kippax but I guess that's the intent.

jcas0167

International Debutant
I think it was more desire with Astle, wasn’t it? He was dropped prior to that though, then fought his way back in and had some great form before retiring. From memory in his book he said the Bracewell coaching methods and the whole dropping incident sapped a lot of his enjoyment for the game.
Ah, that's right. I thought he got dropped for Vincent in the World Series, but he had actually been dropped a season or so earlier as part of the philosophy of keeping players on their toes. I think Fleming said that might have also contributed to Cairns' retirement.

Chubb

International Regular
Speaking of Lance Dry, @ch00baka hasn't posted for ages.
When I moved to Wellington I was told to avoid Easts because of Lance, but I ended up joining them a couple of years later, for a fourth grade side run by a friend. Never met Lance. Met his dad, Gordie, loads of times because he ran the social grade teams. Lance' influence on the rest of the club has been overstated here in the past.