• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2020/21 New Zealand Domestic Season

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
Pretty good hitting by Van Beek towards the end. Pitch definitely slow and low. Are they still using the test deck? ND vs Canterbury one was quite a slow game as well.

Blundell hasn't found his bearing yet. He's trying to stay at the crease but eating up lots of balls in the process. Maybe be better off hit out and getting even 10 in 5 balls is a better option considering firebirds have a very long batting line up.

I don't think it's enough, Canterbury should get it.

Bracewell's bowling would have been crucial on this deck with firebirds playing only 5 bowlers...

Scratch that Gibson can also bowl.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Just saw Bracewell getting sconed :-O. On the one hand that seems like awful luck, on the other it's kinda surprising that sort of thing doesn't happen more often given the way the ball flies off the #bigbats these days.

nzfan

Just saw Bracewell getting sconed :-O. On the one hand that seems like awful luck, on the other it's kinda surprising that sort of thing doesn't happen more often given the way the ball flies off the #bigbats these days.
Add umpires to that... I'm surprised how the umpires haven't been sconed many times.

nzfan

Darryl Mitchell and Cole have been very good for Canterbury this year. Cole is coming along real nice. Turning out to be a serious all rounder.

kaetor

U19 Cricketer
Add umpires to that... I'm surprised how the umpires haven't been sconed many times.
I've seen one of the umpires in the BBL wears a helmet. I was worried for the umpire in the one that Todd Astle got injured on - I think if he doesn't get his hand to it the ump takes the hit there.

Ben Sears in for Bracewell, exciting for us to see him again! First ball wicket too!

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Good pace from Sears - no speed gun obv but looks rapid. Think he was lucky with the lbw v Mitchell though - looked high to me. Canterbury should still walk this - McConchie cake while others provide the modest impetus still required.

Makes sense to me that more umpires would wear a helmet, or one of those arm guard things.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Canterbury should still walk this - McConchie cake while others provide the modest impetus still required.
Or Carter and Fletcher could strike at less than a run a ball and leave it all to McConchie. 6 needed from 6...

edit: and good boundary from Fletcher for the win

James

Cricket Web Owner
Good job from Canterbury, but can't help but feel Wellington's poor ground fielding cost them here.

nzfan

Sears has been real good the last couple of games but only bowled like couple of overs each game and gone for nothing.

The Hutt Rec

Think the Bracewell injury cost Wellington more than anything ... he was set with his batting, and they missed his bowling as well.

nzfan

Think the Bracewell injury cost Wellington more than anything ... he was set with his batting, and they missed his bowling as well.
At least they got the game close enough. Helps the net run rate and it'd be awesome to have home finals for blaze and firebirds like last year.

Canterbury looking sorted in all formats this year. Only couple of years ago they were nowhere.

thundaboult

International Debutant
At least they got the game close enough. Helps the net run rate and it'd be awesome to have home finals for blaze and firebirds like last year.

Canterbury looking sorted in all formats this year. Only couple of years ago they were nowhere.
when u have will williams its hard to go wrong

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm late to the Finn Allen party here, but I've just seen a couple of his knock on Spark. Absolutely blown away by how far he hits it without much effort. Big guy obviously with long levers, not dissimilar to his old Suburbs New Lynn team-mate Gup. I'm sure he'll play for NZ and he'll do very well on our grounds especially, but in time. Give him another season for teams to work out where to bowl to him and see how he handles it.

Chewie

Southee Boult and Jamieson supposed to be back for Super Smash today but forecast isn't looking too good - was going to head down to the ground if it was ok

jcas0167

International Debutant
Chad Bowes coming across as a thoughtful, philosophical character through the onfield mic - discussing how cricket is like life.

A smart tactical move by Canterbury to open with spin against Conway & Allen. McConchie was surprisingly effective.

nzfan

McConchie has been quite good this season. He also took 3 wickets and scored a hundred vs WI A in the 4 day game. His batting has been quite solid. Not explosive but solid. He's led Canterbury real well this season.

He could be a surprise package for Black caps. Still reasonably young but he could fill that off spinning all rounder role. If he keeps performing the way he is he could make the T20 WC Squad.

nzfan

Loved Broom on mic. He was so full of compliments for Finn Allen. Otago were under the pump but his take was it's great for NZ cricket seeing someone young play the way Allen did. That takes big heart and very inclusive sort of attitude seeing the big picture.

Flem274*

123/5
mcconchie looks like an elliott type. if he works on his one day batting he could be an absolute pest at #5 and bowling annoying offies. problem for him is other guys are a lot better imo.

nice to see ben sears recover from the other week, and conways dismissal last night continued my press x to doubt for an indian tour debut. he's not dean brownlie meme bad to random offies but certainly should never bat lower than #4 to provide maximum chance for him to get his eye in with some quicks.

a guy who i think would benefit from debuting in india if he's ready would be rachin. opening is one of the better times to bat there, and he likes to play shots so i would definitely avoid a debut in england. him against the english with the cheat ball would be a real hazing for an aggressive opener, so while india have the better attack it's a kinder introduction given the conditions imo.