• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

4th Test at the Gabba, Brisbane, 15 - 19 Jan 2021

Shady Slim

International Coach
just to give my ten cents that nobody really asked for, @Spark put it so well that yeah, while there is truth to the idea that there may be genetic factors there at play (eg ratio of fast to slow twitch muscle fibres as mentioned by TJB), black sportspeople are all too often pigeonholed into being Athletic Freaks and Biomechanical Marvels, compared to the whitey who plays sports with Smarts and Craftiness. you just have to look at aaron rodgers in the nfl and compare him to darren sproles to see why that isn't true. it's a very lazy, rudimentary, racist analysis, and there's a tendency to assume athleticism and intelligence are mutually exclusive especially when it comes to analysis of black sportspeople.

and while that's problematic enough you get a lot of pundits who go in to weird "i would have voted for obama a third time if i could" territory when they're talking about black sportspeople, which is what hodgey was doing on the bbl comms. but it's quite a widely held and accepted presumption that needs to be busted, because as it was pointed out by spark the theory itself has been on multiple occasions.

cnerd123

likes this
lol @ Shaw trying to hit the stumps but hitting Rohit with the ball instead.

Been a disaster of a tour for him

Need a wicket early this session to stay in contention.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
just to give my ten cents that nobody really asked for, @Spark put it so well that yeah, while there is truth to the idea that there may be genetic factors there at play (eg ratio of fast to slow twitch muscle fibres as mentioned by TJB), black sportspeople are all too often pigeonholed into being Athletic Freaks and Biomechanical Marvels, compared to the whitey who plays sports with Smarts and Craftiness. you just have to look at aaron rodgers in the nfl and compare him to darren sproles to see why that isn't true. it's a very lazy, rudimentary, racist analysis, and there's a tendency to assume athleticism and intelligence are mutually exclusive especially when it comes to analysis of black sportspeople.

and while that's problematic enough you get a lot of pundits who go in to weird "i would have voted for obama a third time if i could" territory when they're talking about black sportspeople, which is what hodgey was doing on the bbl comms. but it's quite a widely held and accepted presumption that needs to be busted, because as it was pointed out by spark the theory itself has been on multiple occasions.
Is this actually the theory put forth by anyone involved though?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Is there a way to remove a like from my post
:laugh: You didn't see that coming, did you?

Shardul is pretty much AA reincarnate. Our only hope is that somehow his good balls get us the wickets. Nattu has bowled well and created a couple of chances. Saini looked like the most effective one and of course, that means he is injured and off for good now. Maybe he can bowl in the second innings with some pain killers or something and some management of the injury.

I dont think all hope is lost yet though. This team has made a habit of coming back out of dire situations. Won't be surprised if we do it again next session.

Aritro

International Regular
Not least because American presidents only get two terms, unless they're FDR, and I wish more commentators would remember that when talking about right handed batsmen from Grenada :ranting:

Spark

Global Moderator
Is this actually the theory put forth by anyone involved though?
In aggregate it definitely comes out, in the nature of what's emphasised and what isn't. It's more a trope of lazy sports pundits who fall back on easy stereotypes rather than thinking and analysing for themselves, i.e. most sports pundits.

Spark

Global Moderator
:laugh: You didn't see that coming, did you?

Shardul is pretty much AA reincarnate. Our only hope is that somehow his good balls get us the wickets. Nattu has bowled well and created a couple of chances. Saini looked like the most effective one and of course, that means he is injured and off for good now. Maybe he can bowl in the second innings with some pain killers or something and some management of the injury.

I dont think all hope is lost yet though. This team has made a habit of coming back out of dire situations. Won't be surprised if we do it again next session.
Thought Siraj has been good throughout tbh. Don't know why he isn't bowling now.

aussie tragic

International Captain
Lol when India lose WTC points for slow over rate, they already needed 4-0 vs England to get in final, this will eliminate them :)

harsh.ag

In aggregate it definitely comes out, in the nature of what's emphasised and what isn't. It's more a trope of lazy sports pundits who fall back on easy stereotypes rather than thinking and analysing for themselves, i.e. most sports pundits.
Isn't it basically about comparative advantage?

A is amazing at X and good at Y
B is good at X and good at Y

Everyone does better if A focuses on X and B on Y, even though A and B may be near equal at Y.

Spark

Global Moderator
Isn't it basically about comparative advantage?

A is amazing at X and good at Y
B is good at X and good at Y

Everyone does better if A focuses on X and B on Y, even though A and B may be near equal at Y.
Not when everyone ignores Y and only focusses on X, especially when Y actually applies much more than X. Prefabricated thinking is never a good idea.

Starfighter

I tell you what, if there's a situation for Green to make his first really impactful contribution, it's here.

cnerd123

likes this
the weird thing about bringing genetics into a conversation at elite sports is that basically everyone playing has freak genetics, regardless of race. If not they wouldn't be a professional sportsman.