• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

let’s remember some guys

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Usman Afzaal to come in for him?

3 tests in the 01 Ashes, one 50 (and out, pretty much) that he celebrated like he'd just secured the urn with a triple ton at the SCG.
Don't I remember Afzaal from ducking a catch under lights as a sub in the 2002 Test at Eden Park? What a bloody night that was

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
I maybe remembering wrong but didn't Gary Ballance feature in a Zimbabwe tour to Kenya before jumping ship and becoming English?

Also does Lou Vincent meet the criteria of being a Guy?

Bahseph

State Captain
I was mulling over whether to mention him but I'm going to do it: Justin Ontong. His selection initially caused quite the controversy in South Africa. But on purely cricket terms he managed to play for South Africa as an "off-spinning allrounder" while never being more than a part timer. Snuck in 2 Tests ,32 Odis and 14 T20s over 14 years. Never scored a fifty or took more than 3 wickets in an innings. Oh,and he managed to Captain the team in a T20. Perhaps wasn't good enough to be a "Guy" as he didn't contribute much. But he kept popping up for over a decade. He played alot when he wasn't good enough and I actually believe that by the time he could have been a serviceable LO batsman and part-timer SA had middle order players like Kallis,ABDV,Faf,Miller,Jp Duminy etc. Was never going to break into that.

Last edited:

thierry henry

International Coach
I maybe remembering wrong but didn't Gary Ballance feature in a Zimbabwe tour to Kenya before jumping ship and becoming English?

Also does Lou Vincent meet the criteria of being a Guy?
102 ODIs and 23 tests over 7 years, and a very high profile character to boot given the Cairns/fixing stuff. I feel like y’all need to try a bit harder with some of these guys.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Ian Blackwell too played around that time, right? From what I recall he had some big hitting ability but rarely showed it. Also bowles useful Yardy-esque slow left arm.
Yep played the one Test. Feel like one cap guys are in their own special category.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Does arguably the All Black's greatest ever right wing qualify as a guy?

Jeff Wilson played ODIs for NZ as a 19 year-old in 1993 (hitting 44 not out off 28 balls to beat Australia), then concentrated on rugby and was perhaps the most talented back in the world pre- Dan Carter.

After retiring from rugby he returned to cricket in 2004/05 and played a few more ODIs and a T20 with limited success.

If he'd stayed in cricket he could've been better than Chris Cairns.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Rory Kleinveldt

Alwats remember him for missing his runup on numerous occasions on dayboo in Brisbane, his breif ban for marijuana use, and generally having a build somewhere inbetween Chris Christie and Andre the Giant
Physically speaking, kind of reminded me of Thumper Lawford.

Howsie

International Captain
gonna defend the mug here. he was a decent bowler, good areas at 130 clicks, and was far from the worst odi performer we've ever selected.

he played in the 07 tri series and the 07 wc, and emerged invisible but undisgraced. he signed off his career by coming out of retirement and trolling central to a ford trophy final win with the bat.

in the same vein, another guy was brent arnel. thoroughly ok medium pacer who even howsie supported because he played for the right team. arnel did not disgrace us, but lacked the extra something needed to take wickets at test level. when you watched him bowl though what he sent down was always very tidy, just not dangerous.
Arnel just had a very short prime (which sounds crazy given he played domestic cricket for another 5 years after his last test). He definitely wasn’t anything special but had he been given a run from say 2008 to 2011 he might’ve put up a decent little test record.