• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

let’s remember some guys

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
also entering the england side was spinner Scott Borthwick who came in for monty panesar (dropped after getting to celebrate his 50th test cap the match before), who came in for graeme swann (who quit). he went for seven an over in his debut innings as australia piled on 326, before managing to take a three for in the second dig. he had also played two ODIs for england in 2011, where he didn't take a wicket and went for eight an over. only 30 now, it would still be technically possible for him to have a long career with the three lions. also has a first class batting average of 35 and has got 19 tons and 50 fifties, which was a surprise to me as i write this because he averaged 2.5 here with the bat.
There was a big push on here a few years ago for Borthwick to be picked as a batsman.

England picking whoever the hell is left in the squad at the end of the tour is a fine tradition. Mason Crane and Tom Curran last time round, although think Curran played a couple of matches.

Gnske

There was a big push on here a few years ago for Borthwick to be picked as a batsman.

England picking whoever the hell is left in the squad at the end of the tour is a fine tradition. Mason Crane and Tom Curran last time round, although think Curran played a couple of matches.
Haha I remember that phase. The dude gave off some big Shaun Marsh vibes.

Pothas

Liam Plunkett looked absolutely destined to be remembered as a guy. Then he became a total hero whilst still kind of being a guy. What a man.

Moss

International Vice-Captain
Has John Hastings been mentioned already? Just recalled apart from ODIs he played in the 2012 Perth test (Ricky Ponting's final test and that brilliant Amla counterattack).

One of the ATG guys has to be Chamara Kapugedera. Had a ridiculously long career as an international (2006-2017), even captained the T20 side I think towards the end of his career, and I struggle to remember anything of note he did.

Jehan Mubarak too but nowhere near the same extent.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Samit Patel

England have a lot of Guys don’t they
Was just thinking that. Wonder if it's partly due to having so many first class players to choose from and you don't know whether they are really any good until you try them

Jarquis

Liam Plunkett looked absolutely destined to be remembered as a guy. Then he became a total hero whilst still kind of being a guy. What a man.
If plunked never got recalled he’d have been a total guy.

Dimitri Mascheranhas
Shaun Udal
Owais Shah

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Was just thinking that. Wonder if it's partly due to having so many first class players to choose from and you don't know whether they are really any good until you try them
Yes possible. Also they rarely get any good cricketers other than the ones they poach, so there’s always a lot of people in and out of the team.

Pothas

If plunked never got recalled he’d have been a total guy.

Dimitri Mascheranhas
Shaun Udal
Owais Shah
Two absolute greats here. Love that they both had their moments against India. Dimi should obviously have played a lot more for England.

Shah 100% a guy. Rob Key as well of course.

Gnske

Has John Hastings been mentioned already? Just recalled apart from ODIs he played in the 2012 Perth test (Ricky Ponting's final test and that brilliant Amla counterattack).

One of the ATG guys has to be Chamara Kapugedera. Had a ridiculously long career as an international (2006-2017), even captained the T20 side I think towards the end of his career, and I struggle to remember anything of note he did.

Jehan Mubarak too but nowhere near the same extent.
I'll add Upul Tharanga to this list.

Starfighter

Speaking of Tharangas, Paranavitana belongs here. For someone who played quite a few tests there's a great lack of anything memorable.

thierry henry

International Coach
James Tredwell has reminded me of Adam Lyth. We joke about some of the Pakistan or Afghanistan guys, but England have produced some incredibly old-looking cricketers too. I can’t find any evidence of Lyth ever being any younger than 40.

Gnske

Can't back this I'm afraid, way too many international games (and centuries) to be a guy
Oh god you're right. I had no idea he had that many ODI centuries. He's definitely a champ.

I can't be paying that much attention. I thought he hadn't played in more than a couple of years too. I'll retract that one quickly.