• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian test selection 2020/21

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Head has had the single most cushy, unquestioned run in the side. He's averaging 30 over the last 11 tests with two half centuries and a century in those 17 innings. Of those only one innings wasn't cashing in when the side were 4-200+. He averages under 30 against India, England and Pakistan, 42 against NZ and 150 against Sri Lanka.

He needs to go, work on his footwork and come back stronger later. Ideally Maxwell would come in at 5 to replace him but moving Wade back to the middle order and picking Warner/ Pucovski up top is ideal.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Head has had the single most cushy, unquestioned run in the side. He's averaging 30 over the last 11 tests with two half centuries and a century in those 17 innings. Of those only one innings wasn't cashing in when the side were 4-200+. He averages under 30 against India, England and Pakistan, 42 against NZ and 150 against Sri Lanka.

He needs to go, work on his footwork and come back stronger later. Ideally Maxwell would come in at 5 to replace him but moving Wade back to the middle order and picking Warner/ Pucovski up top is ideal.
People are going to think I've hacked your account

Anyway since I'm me and I feel like I have to try and find something to disagree on, I would say Joe Burns has had possibly an even cushier experience as a Test cricketer as far as conditions and opposition go, though of course he's been in and out

TheJediBrah

Honestly it astonishes me that Pucovski is even being considered after all that has happened of late

Something about this just doesn't sit right with me
Desperate times I guess. Aus failing to get past 200 in 2 Tests at home is pretty dire straits. If they had a firing line-up making 450+ he would probably be left to sort himself out a bit more.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Desperate times I guess. Aus failing to get past 200 in 2 Tests at home is pretty dire straits. If they had a firing line-up making 450+ he would probably be left to sort himself out a bit more.
I just simply think the risks vastly outweigh the benefit at this point. Somebody like Burns failing isn't a disaster, his Australia days are likely over so he can just go back and play out the rest of his career for Queensland. The worry is that if Pucovski fails it could set his career back years, that isn't a gamble I'm even remotely willing to take

At the very least somebody should kidnap and gag Greg Chappell if he does play

TheJediBrah

I just simply think the risks vastly outweigh the benefit at this point. Somebody like Burns failing isn't a disaster, his Australia days are likely over so he can just go back and play out the rest of his career for Queensland. The worry is that if Pucovski fails it could set his career back years, that isn't a gamble I'm even remotely willing to take

At the very least somebody should kidnap and gag Greg Chappell if he does play
Something doesn't sit right about it with me either, I think I've said on here before that I've heard from guys who play with him they doubt he'll ever be "right". We can only assume (and hope) that the selectors know more than us and that their decision is being well thought-out, whatever it ends up being.

aussie tragic

International Captain
Time to shake up the batting order?

1. Warner
2. Wade
3. Pucovski
4. Labuschagne
5. Smith
6. Green
7. Paine

Good enough for Border and Waugh to bat 5, why not Smith until he gets back in form

stephen

Time to shake up the batting order?

1. Warner
2. Wade
3. Pucovski
4. Labuschagne
5. Smith
6. Green
7. Paine

Good enough for Border and Waugh to bat 5, why not Smith until he gets back in form
The problem is that once Smith is in form you want to give him as many batting partners as possible.

Gnske

Warner fixes the opening conundrum anyway and I agree with Spark that Wade would thrive with someone batting next to him that isn't horridly out of touch.

Pucovski is a middle order bat anyway, put him where he belongs.

TheJediBrah

Can only assume that Head will be the other one to miss out, and in that case it is also possible that Puc could slip into the middle order and Wade stay opening, unlikely though.

the big bambino

International Captain
I like Travis Head and I've defended him a bit on here before, but he's played 13 of his 19 matches at home. In that time Australian pitches have been the flattest in the world, with only this season really an exception in any way. His average definitely flatters his actual performances so far in Tests, regardless of what you think of his future prospects, and moreover he's averaging under 30 in his last ten Tests.

I'd still rather keep him in the side than Wade, but I don't think his dropping would be particularly harsh.
The pitches in India's last tour were a bit of a mix weren't they? He was one of our better performers then. I like Travis but I think Wade has done more and asked to sacrifice more for the team. If Puc and Warner play I'd prefer Wade over Head for the next test.

stephen

Head and Wade are averaging virtually the same since Wade's recall. Head has more upside but honestly Wade deserves to keep his spot more. Wade also doesn't have glaring flaws in his technique and appears to be in form.

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain
Wade is more in form with the bay and better fielding option too. That drop from Head was so bad it just boggles me what he was thinking about. I don’t want to see him Aw his Head for a while