• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** English Football Season 2020-21

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Nuno can't coach an attack either, I'd say you'd look pretty similar under him as under Arteta. Ancelotti was exactly the wrong type of coach for where Arsenal were. Allegri, meh. He's a good tactician but he tends to leave clubs in worse shape than they were when he arrived. Again, not what Arsenal needed.

Arteta was always likely to "fail" because he inherited a mid-table squad with expectations of a top four challenge. But he had good upside and made sense given the club's situation at the time. Just because it might not work out doesn't mean he was the wrong choice.
Yeah this is the crux of the issue for me. Aubameyang excepted, I doubt any of Arsenal's players would be coveted by teams challenging for the top 4 (hell, Chelsea released Willian and basically gave away David Luiz), which means there's only really so much you can reasonably expect Arteta to get from them. He's probably not helped himself in terms of expectations by winning a trophy so early, although even that was done mostly on the back of being well organised defensively and some individual brilliance on the part of Aubameyang.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Yeah this is the crux of the issue for me. Aubameyang excepted, I doubt any of Arsenal's players would be coveted by teams challenging for the top 4 (hell, Chelsea released Willian and basically gave away David Luiz), which means there's only really so much you can reasonably expect Arteta to get from them. He's probably not helped himself in terms of expectations by winning a trophy so early, although even that was done mostly on the back of being well organised defensively and some individual brilliance on the part of Aubameyang.

:ph34r:

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Trying to remember if Pulis is one of those managers who cbf'd with cups, hope so could do with the prize money.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Nuno can't coach an attack either, I'd say you'd look pretty similar under him as under Arteta. Ancelotti was exactly the wrong type of coach for where Arsenal were. Allegri, meh. He's a good tactician but he tends to leave clubs in worse shape than they were when he arrived. Again, not what Arsenal needed.

Arteta was always likely to "fail" because he inherited a mid-table squad with expectations of a top four challenge. But he had good upside and made sense given the club's situation at the time. Just because it might not work out doesn't mean he was the wrong choice.
Can't he? Sure his style is different to most of the leading coaches around at the moment but Wolves in general are very well coached side no? Think people rather take for granted how good he has been at Wolves, yes they obviously have some really good players but that whole project could have easily gone horribly wrong.

Don't really have a strong opinion on Allegri but don't think he can really be blamed for the decline at Milan or Juventus. Milan were heading in the wrong direction anyway and he did a good job to win one last title with them and Juventus have just started to do weird things because they are desperate to win the Champions League. No idea if he would have worked out at Arsenal or not.

Don't at all disagree with the basic point that Arsenal just don't have especially good players.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Can't he? Sure his style is different to most of the leading coaches around at the moment but Wolves in general are very well coached side no? Think people rather take for granted how good he has been at Wolves, yes they obviously have some really good players but that whole project could have easily gone horribly wrong.

Don't really have a strong opinion on Allegri but don't think he can really be blamed for the decline at Milan or Juventus. Milan were heading in the wrong direction anyway and he did a good job to win one last title with them and Juventus have just started to do weird things because they are desperate to win the Champions League. No idea if he would have worked out at Arsenal or not.

Don't at all disagree with the basic point that Arsenal just don't have especially good players.
Yeah I rate Nuno but he’s a defensive coach. Wolves don't combine especially well in the final third, and so obscenely talented players like Jota, Podence and Traore had/have disappointing output when playing for them. It would be a bit like hiring Benitez, which maybe isn't even the worst idea but you can see why they don't do it.

JOJOXI

International Vice-Captain
Yeah I rate Nuno but he’s a defensive coach. Wolves don't combine especially well in the final third, and so obscenely talented players like Jota, Podence and Traore had/have disappointing output when playing for them. It would be a bit like hiring Benitez, which maybe isn't even the worst idea but you can see why they don't do it.
I do think Arsenal would basically be like the Arsenal of last season under Arteta - where there were signs of definitive improvement and they were a bit more fluent in attack than they are now but not as fluent as some of the Wenger teams even in the latter part of his reign.

I do think Nuno is a pretty pragmatic coach but think there is a risk of underplaying just how well Nuno has done as Pothas has said.

When Jota joined he was a youngster with potential but not much else, got some goals for Pacos in Portugal then on loan from Atletico at Porto. Adama Traore looks far better then when he was at Villa or Boro (although I did see a couple Boro fans say during his last season he was showing signs of improvement). Neither player had done all that much to guarantee they would perform to a high level with Wolves. Far better players have joined PL teams and it not work out for one reason or another. Sure Jota has gone a great run of goalscoring since joining Liverpool but I think that's a combination of a hot streak, Klopp and playing for a high pressing, attacking team giving him more chances. Podence has looked solid whenever I've seen him too despite still beiing relatively new in a new league and new country. Certainly they play within themselves Wolves but I think its harsh to say the output from their attackers are poor with Pedro Neto doing solidly at Wolves too and their star man Jimenez - if another manager took over following their promotion I don't think their goal tally would be any higher and I reckon we'd be speaking about them as a top 10 challenger rather then a side who has finished 7th 2 seasons in a row.

I do think it'll be interesting to see how they approach things without Jimenez though - looking forward to seeing Fabio Silva get a run of games

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Haha. Was a 65% chance tbf.

Kind of hoping I miss out for the following game (midweek in mid-December at home to Stevenage, doesn't get any less appealing) so I can go on Boxing Day.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Around 75% of our fans have said they will definitely go if allocated a ticket. The rest are either unsure or definitely won't until the pandemic is over. I assume each club will have their own cross section.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Yeah I'm not sure about that VAR decision in the City game :laugh:
I thought it was Cancelo who was given offside in the build up?

There was definitely an appeal from Porto when the ball was passed wide before it was crossed. BT Goals Show didn't have a clue.

Balances out the stonewall penalty not given against Ederson.