• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Interesting also that Worrell got picked, while neither Weekes nor Walcott were selected despite both averaging much more.
This was because of Worrell's stature as a great captain and ambassador of the game. Richie said Worell could manage the first XI and represent him anywhere.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
This was because of Worrell's stature as a great captain and ambassador of the game. Richie said Worell could manage the first XI and represent him anywhere.
Fair enough. I've seen a video showing how angry Richie was after the underarm, so I'm not surprised he needed another captain instead of G Chappell.

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
An interesting thought ... yet Larwood gets a berth!
And also Lillee, Warne, Mcgrath, Marsh etc. These guys almost never carried themselves well on the field.

Overall though, except for WI bowlers not making there, I really liked Benaud's teams. Better than most all time XIs ever created.

Himannv

International Coach
Marshall and Ambrose are really hard done by there. Also McGrath features a lot lower in the list than he should.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Benaud has just been super biased with his picks. I think the book came out in the early noughties? He was extremely biased as a commentator around this time too. So not surprised his picks reflect that.

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
Benaud has just been super biased with his picks. I think the book came out in the early noughties? He was extremely biased as a commentator around this time too. So not surprised his picks reflect that.
Which book? His 3 ATG teams was published in "My Spin on Cricket" in 2005 and the book "Remembering Richie" is a collection of his work plus contributions from colleagues and came out following his death in 2015.
I doubt these teams were his views in the early noughties. McGrath didn't debut until 1993 and Warne and Lara certainly hadn't reached their peak.
"Super biased" - probably no more than any other former player listing his greatest team.

trundler

Don't think Benaud was biased at all. He just had his own metrics and views on what makes a great team. That ended up throwing Qadir in the mix and excluding Marshall. Just quirky, not biased.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Don't think Benaud was biased at all. He just had his own metrics and views on what makes a great team. That ended up throwing Qadir in the mix and excluding Marshall. Just quirky, not biased.
It’s not “quirky” not including Marshall in 3 XIs. It’s weird. And wrong.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah but in a bias team why would 32 averaging Qadir make it over Grimmett

He's obviously got a weird metric but bias implies he only loves aussies

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Yeah but in a bias team why would 32 averaging Qadir make it over Grimmett

He's obviously got a weird metric but bias implies he only loves aussies
No, bias implies he selects sides based on the players he likes and dislikes. If I thought he was only biased towards aussies, I would said aussie bias, won't I?

Last edited:

the big bambino

International Captain
05 Australia vs RoW shouldnt be considered an actual test match. Was a thrown together thing and the fact that it counts as a test but WSC doesnt is a bit of a joke.
Agree with this. Thought tests were between actual countries not some harlem globetrotters like XI. I Aus were pissed with the ashes and wanted to beat up on someone until they could get their hands on England again. Also without that game as a test Murali's average in Australia blows out to 106 which would be great to throw into every Murali v Warne **** fight.

TheJediBrah

I don't mind that the 05 ROW game counts. It's the only time as far as I'm aware that a ROW team was actually pretty much legit full strength. Definitely wouldn't say it was just "thrown together" either, to get all those players available. Also wouldn't mind if it didn't count though. Guess what I'm saying is that if any game between not-both-countries was going to counted, that would be the one.