• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2020/21 New Zealand Domestic Season

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
I thought Owen Pringle was a left arm spinner? (Sure that's what he was listed as in cricket archive)

But that looks like mini-Chris Pringle bowling right arm medium.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
I thought Owen Pringle was a left arm spinner? (Sure that's what he was listed as in cricket archive)

But that looks like mini-Chris Pringle bowling right arm medium.
Yes Tim Pringle is the spin-bowling son of Chris. Ollie Pringle is just an unheralded 28yo Auckland have promoted up onto the roster this season.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
5fer for Jamieson to open his account this season. That last one to Rae looked suspiciously like it might've swung back in a bit. Good stuff.

The Hutt Rec

I was hopeful we might get live feeds of Plunket Shield this year with Sky no longer in the picture.

Then again, nobody needs to see that from Wellington.

nzfan

Yes I hate when a South African gets ribbed about his cautious Mr. Red Ink status and tries to ingratiate himself. That loose cover drive on the up gave Daryl Mitchell a 40-pointer in our draft.

If only we could bring Sears into this game now as a Covid replacement. If we can't win, these Cantabs certainly deserve to feel it for what they've done.
Uni exams are on... For Sears priority will be exams first and rightly so. He would have been more than handful on this deck.

nzfan

What really went wrong for Wellington?
I didn't expect that.
Couple of early soft dismissals. Blundell hooking one to fine leg, Ravindra flicking one down leg to the Keeper and Conway out after looking very good to a loose shot. That's your top 3 that is expected to get most runs for Firebirds. The rest in my opinion don't have the skills to cope on a deck like this for too long. If one or two of the top three go all right then the lower order fires. Still you'd expect the rest of the order to chip in with 100 odd runs at least. Bowling has always been good and will perform as they usually do.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
What really went wrong for Wellington?
I didn't expect that.
Yeah in some ways Conway's growing 'Michael Jordan for the Bulls' status within a Wellington XI can conflict the team tactics when inserted on a Basin Reserve pitch like that one.

There's no shortage of highly McCullum-influenced players in any 2020 NZ domestic team who would've been itching to try and have a lash at Matt Henry's pace, fly a few nicks over the slips, post a pretty quickfire total in the low 200s, but it's not as easy to go out for a night of gambling and floozies with Conway at the other end trying to bat with impeccable vigilance and propriety, so we sort of got the worst of both worlds. 65 all out.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
No, I posted an article early in our draft thread that's worth finding and reading, it quotes Gary Stead as being reasonably keen on sending Conway through the usual international 'A' cricket hoops and probably retaining Nicholls for the West Indies' tour. Watling missed this Shield round with his old hip injury though, so Nicholls, Conway, and Blundell all playing isn't without a chance.

Last edited:

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Kept in Fletcher being nastily hit by Nuttall at 2:57 in.

Yeah this sort of theatrically watchful Conway being sent out with Latham in home conditions could become NZ's favoured path, I suppose.

Apparently the spinner-dominated game I saw seven months ago, where he made 94 but he wasn't looking all that assured, not having it all his own way against no-name spinners Delport and Glenn Phillips, that's sort of how it was in Gauteng cricket too, so potentially not a guy you'd take to the UAE or India and bat at 5 with major success, aside from being a proven player of marathon knocks.

Last edited: