• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian test selection 2020/21

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That is purely your opinion. Plenty of players have performed well in Shield games without receiving a Test call-up.
I stand by my opinion that he never warranted a decent run in Tests.
In 7 Tests on the subcontinent, including 2 against minnows in Bangladesh, and, in 14 innings he averaged just 26.08 with just one half ton. On the spin-friendly wickets he took just 8 wickets at 42.63 with an ordinary strike rate of 57.75. These are hardly the figures of a player having claims for an all-rounder berth, let alone a batting position. There have been plenty of players who performed better in Tests yet played fewer than Maxwell.
On a personal note, you need to back down from calling poster's opinions "bad calls". When it comes to opnions there are no right or wrong or good or bad calls. All members are free to voice their opinions ... a simple "I disagree" is far better than your present mode of debate.
On a personal note, you should refrain from having such strong opinions on subjects that you are clearly ignorant about, as your posting of meaningless stats as if they are somehow definitive demonstrates. Refer to my earlier post re. Maxwell being shoved in for 1-2 Tests at a time in difficult away conditions and not playing a single game at home. In addition the tests against Bangladesh were far more challenging than home games against the likes of NZ, Pak and England. A further correction, he also didn't just make "one half ton", he made a match-saving hundred in India.

re. "Opinions" versus "bad calls", not sure what you're getting at. An opinion can very well be a bad call. eg. It is my opinion that Travis Head is a complete waste of space, and as GAS will tell you, that is a very bad call. And I can, occasionally, actually be a decent debate partner when you have a clue what you're talking about.

I'm not trying to be a dick you obviously didn't really see or understand much of Maxwell's test career, or his domestic performances, but have looked at the stats, drawn questionable conclusions and seem completely resistant to correction. Which is fine, but don't throw a hissy fit when someone calls you out on it. "I am entitled to my opinion" isn't the same as "I am entitled to my opinion and no one is allowed to argue against me".

There seems to be two seperate points of argument here. Would Maxwell be a viable middle order option in the current day and age? I'm unsold. Was he handled in a shoddy manner by the selectors around the time Smith and Warner were banned? Absolutely IMO
Me too. He hasn't played enough First-class cricket recently to be a shoo-in like he was a few years ago. It was a travesty that he wasn't given a run in the side back then when he was putting good Shield numbers up.

Ironically with the way our selectors work, if he starts gunning it in ODIs he'll probably be more likely to get a look in to the Test side than when he was smashing it in the Shield.

Last edited:

Spikey

There seems to be two seperate points of argument here. Would Maxwell be a viable middle order option in the current day and age? I'm unsold. Was he handled in a shoddy manner by the selectors around the time Smith and Warner were banned? Absolutely IMO
good areas

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
On a personal note, you should refrain from having such strong opinions on subjects that you are clearly ignorant about, as your posting of meaningless stats as if they are somehow definitive demonstrates. Refer to my earlier post re. Maxwell being shoved in for 1-2 Tests at a time in difficult away conditions and not playing a single game at home. In addition the tests against Bangladesh were far more challenging than home games against the likes of NZ, Pak and England. A further correction, he also didn't just make "one half ton", he made a match-saving hundred in India.

re. "Opinions" versus "bad calls", not sure what you're getting at. An opinion can very well be a bad call. eg. It is my opinion that Travis Head is a complete waste of space, and as GAS will tell you, that is a very bad call. And I can, occasionally, actually be a decent debate partner when you have a clue what you're talking about.

I'm not trying to be a dick you obviously didn't really see or understand much of Maxwell's test career, or his domestic performances, but have looked at the stats, drawn questionable conclusions and seem completely resistant to correction. Which is fine, but don't throw a hissy fit when someone calls you out on it. "I am entitled to my opinion" isn't the same as "I am entitled to my opinion and no one is allowed to argue against me".
Seriously, stop. You might be right or wrong but you're coming off pretty poorly here. L&L is a pretty decent, respectful guy. You don't need to do this at all.

TheJediBrah

Seriously, stop. You might be right or wrong but you're coming off pretty poorly here. L&L is a pretty decent, respectful guy. You don't need to do this at all.
Hey I didn't start this at all. He's the one who moved onto "on a personal note". I have no problem with him at all but he clearly got very upset about me disagreeing with him which is not a positive thing for an online discussion forum.

I understand 100% that I come across as rude af most of the time but you need to be able to handle someone calling you out when you say something dumb. Can you imagine if I got personal every time someone on here told me I said something dumb?

TheJediBrah

@Line and Length I do apologise if I offended you, definitely nothing personal you can ask anyone I treat everyone here the same way. If i see someone say something I think is "dumb" or "ignorant" I don't pull punches.

Generally a fan of your posting from what I've seen but think you're way off the mark on this one. I can use less inflammatory language with you in the future if you want, i already do so with certain posters so no skin off my back.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I definitely think Head should be safer than Burns, though in fairness there's no other Plan B for opening as I don't think Warner and Maddinson complement each other well enough and Khawaja's effectively in the doghouse.
I'll open.

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
@Line and Length I do apologise if I offended you, definitely nothing personal you can ask anyone I treat everyone here the same way. If i see someone say something I think is "dumb" or "ignorant" I don't pull punches.

Generally a fan of your posting from what I've seen but think you're way off the mark on this one. I can use less inflammatory language with you in the future if you want, i already do so with certain posters so no skin off my back.
Thanks TJB.
I happy for you to say when you consider my opinion to be "way off the mark" and I certainly wasn't intending to convey a sense of "I am entitled to my opinion and no one is allowed to argue against me". I possibly misinterpreted your "bad call" remark. I always thought that a bad call was a poor decision (eg winning the toss and bowling is often a "bad call") and that you were criticising me for having an opinion. I will confess to judging Maxwell's Test credentials more on his Test performances on the sub-continent than his Shield performances but I don't believe that makes me guilty of "having such strong opinions on subjects that you are clearly ignorant about".

TheJediBrah

Thanks TJB.
I happy for you to say when you consider my opinion to be "way off the mark" and I certainly wasn't intending to convey a sense of "I am entitled to my opinion and no one is allowed to argue against me". I possibly misinterpreted your "bad call" remark. I always thought that a bad call was a poor decision (eg winning the toss and bowling is often a "bad call") and that you were criticising me for having an opinion. I will confess to judging Maxwell's Test credentials more on his Test performances on the sub-continent than his Shield performances but I don't believe that makes me guilty of "having such strong opinions on subjects that you are clearly ignorant about".
Regarding Maxwell, who knows whether he would have been any good. I'll admit there's every chance, even likelihood, that had he come in for a cakewalk home summer against the likes of NZ, WI, Pak, England he still would have ****ed it up, given that it's Maxwell. But I think most would agree that he'd earned that chance.
I'm no stranger to **** opinions too. GAS is well aware of this. I argued for years on here that Lyon was a hack and should have been dropped. I called for Starc to be dropped just last year. So I'm not pretending to have faultless opinions. Personally I think this site would be boring as all hell if everyone kept their calls purely evidence-based and reasonable. That's what real life is for.
Never changing my mind on Travis Head though. I don't care if he averages 100 for the next 10 years, I hate his face.

Quite fair IMO. :p
try reading the whole sentence m8

Shady Slim

International Coach
my stance on maxi is if you give him the opportunities head or harris got, like feasting on an out of their depth sri lanka when they came here, he likely would have come up aces too. man has had to contend with a lot of testing situations.

TJB and i are in unison with regards to middle order selections and this is good for the world

the big bambino

International Captain
You might favour maxie over over Travis or Wade but it’s no way the clear cut decision. At best a minority one and most likely flat out wrong. I loved his potential but over the years hasn’t taken his chances despite the fact he’s been given plenty to be a regular international in all formats. What is he now - 32? His last odi innings gives him a spot in limited over sides until he’ll inevitably disappoint again and that should see out his unfulfilled career. Whereas Travis has time on his side and Wade taken the opportunities Maxie to date hasn’t.

Shady Slim

International Coach
yeah but as TJB points out it’s hardly a fair shake of the sauce to compare the opportunities head and wade have had to maxwell’s wrt strength of opposition and so on and so forth; like, i could have tonned up when the lanks came to town tbhwy

TheJediBrah

You might favour maxie over over Travis or Wade but it’s no way the clear cut decision. At best a minority one and most likely flat out wrong.
Look again at what I said. I was specifically referring to the past where Maxwell should have been the clear decision. I also specifically said that right now it's a bit late.
Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't mind seeing Maxwell given a belated run now ahead of Wade or Head at all but as you say, it's far from a clear decision now.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
yeah but as TJB points out it’s hardly a fair shake of the sauce to compare the opportunities head and wade have had to maxwell’s wrt strength of opposition and so on and so forth; like, i could have tonned up when the lanks came to town tbhwy
I hate that Rudd ruined that saying. It's "Fair suck of the sauce bottle".

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
I should point out that my opinion expressed earlier regarding Maxwell was done in the context of the thread's title, "Australian Test Selection 2020/21".
I agree that he may have been unfairly overlooked by selectors in the past, especially with regard to having the opportunity to represent his country at home.