Thread: Power Training

International Coach HeathDavisSpeed's Avatar
    Rummaging through Iain O'Brien's dustbins.

Power Training

Having read the help files, I'm not too sure on my strategy for training power.

I had some U-19 NT guy tell me my player won't play as his power's too low. I personally don't see that I should be training an U-19 in power as it trains slower at a younger age, whilst other skills train quicker at U-19.

Just wondering if anyone is training Power in their Youth team? Also, what is the best age for Power training? What are your targets for Power for batsmen, seamers and spinners?

Any tips would be welcome. Pretty sure I'm missing a trick here.
    >>>>>>WHHOOOOOOOOOSHHHHHHH>>>>>>
    Fascist Dictator of the Heath Davis Appreciation Society
    Supporting Petone's Finest since the very start - Iain O'Brien
    Adam Wheater - Another batsman off the Essex production line
    Also Supporting the All Time #1 Batsman of All Time Ever - Jacques Kallis and the much maligned Peter Siddle.

Vimes tells it how it is:
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    Heath worryingly quick.

From what I understand, power is not needed for spin bowlers.
    The one, the only CW Black
    Code:
    47.3 W Coppinger to Heads 
        Smacked the ball straight into the groin of Iwuajoku who has fallen over, 
        miraculously with the ball still caught in his scrotal area! Out!

Hall of Fame Member chaminda_00's Avatar
    That explains why my backup spinners have better bowling summaries then my backup seamers. Even though they have the same level of bowling, tech, experience, endurance and similar form. Their low power doesn't make any difference, yet it does for seamers.

Usually start training power when guys are 20 and start focusing more when they are 23. Don't train power at youth level personally.
    The man, the mountain, the Mathews. The greatest all rounder since Keith Miller. (Y)

Jaffna Jets CC (Battrick & FTP)

RIP WCC and CW Cricket

Member of the MSC, JMAS and CVAAS

I train power to a basic level at 20/21, pops pretty quickly at that age - takes 4 weeks usually. Leave the higher levels for mid/late 20s.

For seam all-rounders I train power more at an earlier age.
    National Scrabble Champion 2009, 8th, 11th and 5th in 2009/2011/2013 World Championships, gold medal (team) at Causeway, 2011 Masters Champion
    Australia’s Darren Lehmann is a ‘blatant loser’ insists Stuart Broad
    Countdown Series 57 Champion
    King of the Arcade
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in public:
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in private:

MSN - evil_budgie @ hotmail.co.uk

State 12th Man
    I train seamers one level while they're in youths, usually to poor or ordinary. I've also trained a couple of my batsmen because U19 managers wanted me to, I probably wouldn't have otherwise though. Once they're in the seniors I just give them another pop each season. I want them all to have power equal to their primaries eventually.

Hall of Fame Member NZTailender's Avatar
    I tend to get train mine to reasonable before switching them back to primary training (usually around 20/21). Only have a couple of players in the optimum training age range (they're 24 and 25).

Given that power trains faster in the mid 20s, has anyone got an idea when exactly would be a good time to start said training? I've heard 23-27 for power but also 24-27 and 24-26.
    President of SKAS - Kat is King | Proud member of CVAAS - One of the best | LRPLTAS - Rosco rocks!
    The NZTailender Supporting XI:
    H Rutherford, T Latham, N Broom, M Bracewell, D Brownlie, BJ Watling, D de Boorder+, M Henry, B Wheeler, H Bennett, A Milne
    Go Tigers!
    R.I.P. Fardin & Craig

Because training times for other skills drop off I think 25+ is the best time to train power.

Power might train a little faster at 24 than 28, but then so will other skills - and presumably that difference is going to be exaggerated when Ash slows the training down for older players.

Hall of Fame Member NZTailender's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scaly piscine View Post
    Because training times for other skills drop off I think 25+ is the best time to train power.

Power might train a little faster at 24 than 28, but then so will other skills - and presumably that difference is going to be exaggerated when Ash slows the training down for older players.
    Ah, yeah makes sense. Might make it mandatory that once a player turns 25 he'll go on power training until he turns 27...

Thread Information