• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Phelps V Bolt

Who was the more impressive athlete?

• Total voters

pasag

RTDAS
More or less equal, both went the highest you could pretty much go in each of their respective fields though Bolt had a little bit more of the 'wow' factor.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Phelps didn't have the charisma of Bolt, but what Phelps did has never been done before and there's a good chance it won't ever be done again. So Phelps for me.

sanga1337

U19 Captain
They've both dominated in different ways. Phelps has won more medals, but the way in which Bolt won the 100m and 200m race was incredible IMO. He just made the rest of the sprinters look pedestrian. He completely embarrassed them. You could argue that Phelps did that in a few of his races, but he didn't have the same effect, compared to when Bolt won the 100m. Im going to go for Bolt just for his charisma.

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
Bolt, based on the idea that running is perhaps the most accessible sport to the world's population (whereas swimming isn't) and the completely illogical nature of all swimming events except freestyle. To take nothing away from Phelps though, still an astonishing achievement.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Not even close.. 14 Gold Medals and 13 of which have been Olympic Records..Wow.

He would have been close had he won the Long Jump which IMO is one of the toughest event and a highly technical one.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Phelps didn't have the charisma of Bolt, but what Phelps did has never been done before and there's a good chance it won't ever be done again. So Phelps for me.
Well I haven't checked this before but I don't think any sprinter has ever broken three WRs in one games before.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
All I'm saying is that Bolt's achievement was also unique. Haven't made my mind up who to vote for yet.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Bolt knocked off arguaby two of the hardest world records to break in men's sport.

Everyone knocked off records in the pool it got to the stage nobody cared.

Bolt for mine.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
You can't dangle the bait like that & then lift it away! It's inhumane!! :-O

Anyway, Bolt for me, regardless. Became the world's fastest human being with (to paraphrase that great line from Chariots of Fire) the apparent effortlessness of a god.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Phelps, just.

The fact that Phelps did something no-one has ever done before (8 Gold, 8 Olympic Records, 7 World Records), and isn't likely to (unless he does it again himself) in the near future was the over-riding factor for me. No doubt Bolts winning margins were impressive, but apart from the 100 fly, it was the same for Phelps really.

ripper868

International Coach
Bolt.

Phelps broke this many records and blah blah...so did the guy who came second and third in alot of those. The pool is three metres deep (less resitance) there were extra lanes on the side to avoid wash from the walls.

As Roy and HG said, all records and times from beijing should not stand...it's not an olympic sized pool.