• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Phelps V Bolt

Who was the more impressive athlete?

• Total voters

biased indian

International Coach
Bolt..because many thought he wont break the 200 m record...

as for Phelps almost all was the opinion that he would win the 8 gold and WR's as said by shaggy was too many in pool.....

Bobisback

International Regular
You can't dangle the bait like that & then lift it away! It's inhumane!! :-O

Anyway, Bolt for me, regardless. Became the world's fastest human being with (to paraphrase that great line from Chariots of Fire) the apparent effortlessness of a god.
I dont think that the 200 was effortless, he put everything into it and threw himself at the line. The 100 was nothing for him though.

Phelps, just.

The fact that Phelps did something no-one has ever done before
Had anyone else ran the 200 in 19.30 into a 0.09 (iirc) head wind. Dont think so.

and isn't likely to (unless he does it again himself) in the near future was the over-riding factor for me.
Same goes for Bolt and the above.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Phelps didn't have the charisma of Bolt, but what Phelps did has never been done before and there's a good chance it won't ever be done again. So Phelps for me.
what bolt did has never been done before either...winning the sprint triple, all of it in world record times...

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I dont think that the 200 was effortless, he put everything into it and threw himself at the line. The 100 was nothing for him though.

Had anyone else ran the 200 in 19.30 into a 0.09 (iirc) head wind. Dont think so.

Same goes for Bolt and the above.
I was excluding the world/olympic records, because both guys broke world records with ease. People have won 3 golds on the track before, and it's likely to happen again. No-one has ever won 8 golds at the one olympics (and that is far less likely to happen again), and no-one has ever won as many gold medals as Michael Phelps, period.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
what bolt did has never been done before either...winning the sprint triple, all of it in world record times...
Betty Cuthbert, 1956.

200 & 4x100 were definitely WR. I know she set a record in the 100m, not sure if it was world or olympic though.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Betty Cuthbert, 1956.

200 & 4x100 were definitely WR. I know she set a record in the 100m, not sure if it was world or olympic though.
well the commentators were saying it has never been done before, don't know whether they were specifically talking about men...

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
I am sure that is a great achievement but what Phelps achieved hasn't been done either ever in Olympics. No one has won 8 Gold medals in a single Olympic and all of that by breaking Olympic Records in each of the event (7 WR and 1 OR).

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
I am sure that is a great achievement but what Phelps achieved hasn't been done either ever in Olympics. No one has won 8 Gold medals in a single Olympic and all of that by breaking Olympic Records in each of the event (7 WR and 1 OR).
i know and i acknowledge that, look at the post i was replying to...in any case, fraz beats the both of them pretty easily...

andmark

International Captain
Considering the amazing fact that Usain Bolt broke all the records of which he entered in his events is just amazing.
I think that justifies my vote.