Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: For a country with only twenty million people we don't do too badly....

For a country with only twenty million people we don't do too badly....

You see that old chestnut thrown around from time to time (read: whenever the Olympics is on in Aus) but you've got to ask yourselves whether that holds true relative to the amount of money we pour into sports in the country.

It's no secret that the amount spent on athletes has a pretty direct correlation to how well they do in the games, see England and the lottery. China start pouring money into sports and they overtake America. If India did the same thing, they'd shoot up the medal tally in no time.

Part of the reason Australia have been able to invest so much is because we are a relatively well off country, so I guess the question remains do we really do that well when taking into account the state of our country and investment in sport compared to others?

Furthermore, should we be be investing so heavily into sports? Some would say that us doing well in the Olympics has a tremendous boost on the nations self esteem which would translate well into productivity not to mention health and obesity advantages from making us a 'sporting nation' (though figures may suggest otherwise), others would say the money could be better spent on roads, hospitals, education etc.

A final question which was raised by howardj, should athletes have to pay back a certain amount of what is spent on them if they succeed? When I start working, I'll have to pay the government back for my training, should athletes be any different?

Thoughts?
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

Request Your Custom Title Now! Simon's Avatar
    Don't think it's such a case of just pouring money into sports. It's just the Australian way that everyone is given an oppourtunity to follow their dreams and the economy allows us to have good enough access to facilities etc... The infostructure in most sports allow us to have a good chance at success. Coaches are developed well and as a result there is a better chance of doing well.

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    I don't think I'm betraying any state secrets to say that we've basically nicked the Australian Insitute of Sport idea (not to mention quite a few Ocker coaches) and the improvements speak for themselves. 12 years ago the coxless 4 was our only gold, this time we've won 18 & counting. Even allowing for natural variation across sporting generations I think the extra investment must be largely responsible.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"as much a news event as an actual footballer, a worthy stop-start centre forward, but an all-time hyper-galactico when it comes to doing funny things with cars and hats, a player whose signing proves once again that the Premier League is still undoubtedly the best in the world when it comes to doing things with cars and hats."
    - Barney Ronay on Mario Balotelli

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Don't think it's such a case of just pouring money into sports. It's just the Australian way that everyone is given an oppourtunity to follow their dreams and the economy allows us to have good enough access to facilities etc... The infostructure in most sports allow us to have a good chance at success. Coaches are developed well and as a result there is a better chance of doing well.
    It has probably changed recently with 2012 and greater British investment, but the number 10 or so years ago was the Aussies has 1/3 of UKs population and spent twice as much on sports. Obviously giving 6 times the level of investment per person.

I think sports success is a combination of things. Finance (along with culture, climate etc) being an important factor.

Still, it has to be spent correctly and in the right places and is a tool for success rather than a guarantee.
    Last edited by Goughy; 23-08-2008 at 01:48 PM.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

"I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Mister Wright's Avatar
    Burger Time Champion!
    We're a country who loves to follow their teams/players etc, and we love it when they win. For me, personally, I'm happy for my taxes to go towards these athletes achieving their goals. They work much, much harder at their occupations than I do, so good luck to them. It's important for Australia's to be competing with the big guns.
    Cricketweb Colts Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    Hayden > Lehmann
    I'm a member of Club Kerry

I'm Green

The color of immortality, nature and envy - you are truly a unique person. While clearly the color of nature, you also symbolize rebirth, fertility and hope in the world. On the other side of the spectrum, a natural aptitude to money with green coming to signify money and possibly even *********!

Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    Jamaica has 2.7m people and they cleaned up this Olympics. More impressed tbh.
    Sreesanth said, "Next ball he was beaten and I said, 'is this the King Charles Lara? Who is this impostor, moving around nervously? I should have kept my mouth shut for the next ball - mind you, it was a length ball - Lara just pulled it over the church beyond the boundary! He is a true legend."

It's no secret that funding of Olympic sports in Australia has decreased since the 2000 Olympics whilst some other countries have ramped theirs up

For example:

The 4 British swimmers competing in the open water races receive more funding than the entire Australian swim team

Each British boxer receives a "salary" of 75,000 quid per annum plus housing

The Cuban boxers all attend university on scholarship

However, that doesnt tell the whole story and isnt the sole reason why Australia has underperformed in a number of sports

It also comes down to participation rates, sheer talent and performances on the day

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mxyzptlk View Post
    And no drug testing

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mxyzptlk View Post
    Jamaica's success is limited to athletics tho. Whereas Australia has generally got golds from a wide variety of sports and in events they weren't expected to (e.g. diving, pole vault etc.)

Did you know Usain Bolt used to want to be a fast bowler. Reckon he would be gun - rhythmical run up and probably generate a lot of bounce out of his 6 ft 5 in frame. I bet no one would try sneaking extra runs when he is in the outfield.

Hall of Fame Member superkingdave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by social View Post
    It's no secret that funding of Olympic sports in Australia has decreased since the 2000 Olympics whilst some other countries have ramped theirs up

For example:

The 4 British swimmers competing in the open water races receive more funding than the entire Australian swim team

Each British boxer receives a "salary" of 75,000 quid per annum plus housing

The Cuban boxers all attend university on scholarship

However, that doesnt tell the whole story and isnt the sole reason why Australia has underperformed in a number of sports

It also comes down to participation rates, sheer talent and performances on the day
    Think that quote about the open water swimmers is probably smoke and mirrors from Alan Thompson as part of an attempt to get more funding for swimming in Australia. It's not funded the same way out here as it is in GB, in GB its all centrally distributed to the athletes through UK Sport so the whole 4 years that swimming receives is the figure quoted. Over here a lot of the funding goes through the different swim associations in each state. The figure he's probably comparing to is something like the budget to actually take the swimmers to the games.

Take for example Rebecca Adlington, she won 2 golds and received 12,000pounds a year funding, thats about $25000 dollars, thats to pay to enter competitions, buy here own kit etc. She admitted herself she got a lot of money from her parents. Sure it will change now, but the level of funding she was on leads me to think the line about the open water swimmers is not true.

International Coach biased indian's Avatar
    And no drug testing
    haaaaaa....same as ian thorpe i think
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
    RIP Craigos

Stranger leering through a pair of binoculars
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Wright View Post
    We're a country who loves to follow their teams/players etc, and we love it when they win. For me, personally, I'm happy for my taxes to go towards these athletes achieving their goals. They work much, much harder at their occupations than I do, so good luck to them. It's important for Australia's to be competing with the big guns.
    I agree.
    Mark Waugh
    "He's [Michael Clarke] on Twitter saying sorry for not walking? Mate if he did that in our side there'd be hell to play. AB would chuck his Twitter box off the balcony or whatever it is. Sorry for not walking? Jesus Christ man."
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it into a fruit salad
    RIP Craigos

Cricket Web Content Updater roseboy64's Avatar
    And no drug testing
    Ignorance I think.
    Sir Alexander Chapman Ferguson = Greatest Ever Manager
    "One from ten leaves zero." - Eric Williams, former T&T PM
    Member of Cricket Web Green
    Member of Northside Power

R.I.P Fardin Qayyumi

State Vice-Captain ohtani's jacket's Avatar
    Australia at the Olympics: