• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Are you pleased with your country's performance?

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well?

I am. I was amazed by the Evers-Swindell twins, who after seeming almost invincible in 2004 have been quite frankly average since but proved themselves to be true champions when the big event came around again, and by Valerie Vili's immense performance, and I was surprised but elated with the gold medal earnt by Tom Ashley (from Takapuna! Just down the road from me. WAG). I was also proud of the other medal performances by our cyclists, rowers, Bevan Docherty in the triathlon and Nick Willis in the 1500. Also special mention for Mahe Drysdale, haven't seen a sportsperson representing NZ give as much effort as that in a long time and I'm sure he would have done better if he'd been 100% fit. Hope to see him again in four years.

Our best Olympics in the time I've been old enough to take interest, so plenty of reason to be proud. Well done NZ. :happy:

Last edited:

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Absolutely agree Ed. Am extremely proud of our results and I'm sure the athletes will received an immensely warm and deserved reception once they return home.

_Ed_

Absolutely agree Ed. Am extremely proud of our results and I'm sure the athletes will received an immensely warm and deserved reception once they return home.
Yeah, hope so. Apparently we're 2nd in terms of medals per capita behind Slovenia. That's absolutely brilliant. Congrats to Slovenia though!

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Quite. Think it's fair to say we've wildly exceeded expectations in just about every sport except athletics. :cool:
TBH even there we've about matched expectations I'd say. Sotherton maybe we should have expected a medal from but she finished 4th, Ohorugu wasn't really expected to get gold and did, and Idowu was expected to and didn't. Other than that, medals for Danvers and Mason weren't expected yet and I fancy a couple of relay medals tomorrow, or whenever those finals are LOL

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yes I am, not bad for 20 million people. I think we'd need to look at more funding for sport again to improve.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
3 Golds so far, First woman Olympic Champ, 8th (6th consecutive)steeplechase title, and with contenders in the 5000m men and the mens marathon. This is turning out to be a really good olympics

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Most pleased. Got the gold medals today after a little bit of a rut of silvers, to make the best Nordic country. Got three medals in the two big ones, first swimming medal ever, genuine shock from Tufte, a shooting medal and mostly decent performances there (women excepted), kayaker doing ok, handball team going through in style except for one minute of hilarity, Thorkildsen throwing a world season best when it counts, and beach volleyballers knocked out hilariously early. Can't complain.

ohtani's jacket

State Vice-Captain
Best Olympics for NZ since Barcelona. Can't complain.

There's always going to be disappointments regardless of what country you're from.

Enjoyed the entire Olympics.

howardj

International Coach
Our cycling performance, when compared to previous Olympics, was absolutely woeful.

That was the only real area of underachievement for Australia.

Burgey

Our cycling performance, when compared to previous Olympics, was absolutely woeful.

That was the only real area of underachievement for Australia.
AWTA. Have to say the athletics was great by our paltry standards.

We really should have sent a 4 x 100m relay team though. That was disappointing.

Swimmers unlucky in a number of events imo.

Still, anytime we're finishing lower than GB is a devastating loss IMO.

Flem274*

123/5
Yep pretty happy. Was getting worried before "super Saturday" seeing as we hadn't won anything until then and its always good to get off the mark early.