Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 61

Thread: Olympic Sports you don't like

  1. #46
    Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    The Castle
    Posts
    41,448
    BMX. FFS, expecting Nicole Kidman to make an appearance here.

    Just can't see the relevance at all TBH.

    Will change my mind if an Aussie wins it though
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

    "When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

    "Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

  2. #47
    Hall of Fame Member _Ed_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Auckland, Aotearoa
    Posts
    19,857
    I like BMX, because we've got someone awesome in it.

  3. #48
    U19 12th Man anoop4real's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    TVM,India
    Posts
    237
    Sync Swimming and Gymnastics
    *****Cricket Rules******
    ______________________________________
    "Born to play Cricket"

  4. #49
    International Coach biased indian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    office
    Posts
    11,008
    BMX,Dressage,Sync Swimming,Baseball,Mens Football,Soft ball,Trampoline,Rhythmic Gymnastic

    And one more thing no country should be allowed to have more than 2 participant in the same event...its no fun seeing people from same country winning all the medals
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
    RIP Craigos


  5. #50
    World Traveller Craig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Super Happy Fun Sugar Lollipop Land!
    Posts
    34,131
    Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post
    Look there are millions of sports out there. Anyone who likes them can make a case for them.

    I mentioned sports I enjoy that I dont think should be there. It isnt realy about personal preference.

    Handball goes as the game is as shallow as a puddle, repetetive and looks like designed by a 6 year old with no imagination. There are obviously players that are better than others but I cant se anything that makes handball players particularly skillful. Every attack follows the same pattern and the players dont look right in their outfits. England have signed a small group of people to learn the game in 4 years and be competetive in 2012. Any time you can hope a small group of people with no experience can get to top level in 4 years doesnt say much for the sport.

    I wouldnt also care if triple and pole vault went (and I was a triple jumper). Though I would love the mile added. Its an easy 4 laps of the track and 1500m is so awkward.

    There are so many sports in the Olympics. Its great to see the cull beginning with softball removed for 2012.

    Anyone can make a case for any sport but I dont want to see bicyle jousting in there, just as I dont want to see beach voleyball.

    Actualy, Id be tempted to take all team sports out apart from Basketball and Volleyball. Goodbye to football, handball, baseball, softball etc and also Id get rid of Tennis (another tacky add-on).
    ?

    The only sport I can think of is the Keiran, and believe it or not it is pretty big business in Japan. Anyway cycling is a bloody hard sport, it is more then just turning your feet over and over and keep on pedaling.

    What counts as a legit sport? Is Gridiron a legit sport even though it tends to be boring as bat**** as the players do not have the ability to think for themselves or rugby?

    Anyway I agree about football, the more fact a player wants to play in it, his club just tells him to GAGF anyway and doesn't let him travel. In the case of the Athens Olympics, Rangers transfer listed their then captain Craig Moore because he wanted to go (they also took his captaincy away).
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

    RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

    Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

  6. #51
    U19 Captain sanga1337's Avatar
    KickUps Champion!
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Australian living in Japan
    Posts
    641
    Quote Originally Posted by anoop4real View Post
    Sync Swimming and Gymnastics
    Disagree, love gymnastics. Some of the stuff some gymnists can do, like the american bloke on the pommel horse is incredible. That said everyone is entitled to their opinion I guess.

  7. #52
    Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    On a trip to the moon
    Posts
    48,550
    Quote Originally Posted by biased indian View Post
    BMX,Dressage,Sync Swimming,Baseball,Mens Football,Soft ball,Trampoline,Rhythmic Gymnastic

    And one more thing no country should be allowed to have more than 2 participant in the same event...its no fun seeing people from same country winning all the medals
    The idea is to recognise the best athletes in the world, hence why there are three from each country, so that in theory the world's top 3 can all get medals...
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    gimh has now surpassed richard as the greatest cw member ever imo

    RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

  8. #53
    Hall of Fame Member _Ed_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Auckland, Aotearoa
    Posts
    19,857
    Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    The idea is to recognise the best athletes in the world, hence why there are three from each country, so that in theory the world's top 3 can all get medals...
    I don't get that, we were only allowed one single sculls rower when arguably we had two of the top 10 or so in the world in Drysdale and Waddell.

  9. #54
    Hall of Fame Member Johnners's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    19,046
    It changes between sports though, strangely enough. All the rowing/kayaking events have only allowed one representative from others, whilst the rest have allowed 2, and only T&F has 3.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Mitch Johnson is ****ing awesome for cricket.
    Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    Ponting's ability to ton up in the first innings of a series should not be understated. So much pressure, so important. What a great!

  10. #55
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Samuel_Vimes's Avatar
    Defend Your Castle Champion! Monkey Diving Champion!
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Bonn, BRD
    Posts
    22,865
    Quote Originally Posted by _Ed_ View Post
    I don't get that, we were only allowed one single sculls rower when arguably we had two of the top 10 or so in the world in Drysdale and Waddell.
    It's different in each sport. Rowing and kayaking only allow one even at their world championships, so it's clearly not an IOC decision (in many sports with team events you're usually allowed to enter the individual as long as the team is qualified).

    Agreed with the general principle though - the best should be there. Winter Olympics has the balance right I think, each nation can enter up to four athletes (with the exception of figure skating for some reason).
    Messi scores on the rebound.

    Founder of ESAS - Edgar Schiferli, the best associate bowler
    A follower of the schools of Machiavelli, Bentham, Locke, Hobbes, Sutcliffe, Bradman, Lindwall, Miller, Hassett and Benaud
    Member of JMAS, DMAS, FRAS and RTDAS

    Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Grünbaum
    Is the conduct approved by the gods right ("pious"), because of properties of its own, or merely because it pleases the gods to value or command it?

  11. #56
    Hall of Fame Member Johnners's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    19,046
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    It's different in each sport. Rowing and kayaking only allow one even at their world championships, so it's clearly not an IOC decision (in many sports with team events you're usually allowed to enter the individual as long as the team is qualified).

    Agreed with the general principle though - the best should be there. Winter Olympics has the balance right I think, each nation can enter up to four athletes (with the exception of figure skating for some reason).
    You mean.. Blades of Glory wasn't a true story?

  12. #57
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Samuel_Vimes's Avatar
    Defend Your Castle Champion! Monkey Diving Champion!
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Bonn, BRD
    Posts
    22,865
    Quote Originally Posted by Clapo View Post
    You mean.. Blades of Glory wasn't a true story?


    (actually, looking it up, they do have quotas of three for all skating sports, and four + defending champion for the skiing sports.)

  13. #58
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    ksfls;fsl;lsFJg/s
    Posts
    28,390
    If we got rid of every sport voted in this thread we'd have to change the Olympics to simply the world athletics festival or something. Look, if you don't like it then don't watch it. Its what I do, I don't care much for a few sports but I don't mind them being there because I have a choice to not watch it. FFS if it bothers some people that synchronized swimming or whatever is on their TV for a few hours then get off your fat arse and do something else, or at least change channel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

  14. #59
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    ksfls;fsl;lsFJg/s
    Posts
    28,390
    Quote Originally Posted by 16 tins of Spam View Post
    Equestrian - Despite our proud record in this, the Olympics is for humans.
    I'll have to pull you up here. I don't mind if you don't like it, thats fine, we're all different. Thats why you're silly and vote Labour and I'm normal and support Stephen Fleming. Anyway, in equestrian there's this person sitting on the horse, or if you're Andrew Nicholson, inventing a new way to fall off and ruin it for the team, controlling it. Before you say that the rider is not an athlete I'll extend an invitation to you, or anyone else, to come to my farm and have a go. I'll even be nice and give you our best horse, and we'll see how you go. No getting away with a silly little circus horse that from my viewing, have an amazing tolerance of useless riders, you can come ride a real horse. And lose miserably.

    I spose if you're saying just people because the Olympic ideal is about people and all the other PR stunts they pull to look good then fine, but if its in reference to riders suppossedly not doing anything of note then you're wrong. Sorry.

    FTR, I'd keep the lot bar football, because football is really just done strangely at the Olympics. If it had the best players in the world there then it should stay, but atm its a bit meh. However I don't mind if it stays, because as I mentioned previously, I don't have to watch it.

  15. #60
    RTDAS pasag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Looking for milksteak
    Posts
    31,678
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    If we got rid of every sport voted in this thread we'd have to change the Olympics to simply the world athletics festival or something. Look, if you don't like it then don't watch it. Its what I do, I don't care much for a few sports but I don't mind them being there because I have a choice to not watch it. FFS if it bothers some people that synchronized swimming or whatever is on their TV for a few hours then get off your fat arse and do something else, or at least change channel.
    .....
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Olympic Betting
    By superkingdave in forum Olympic Games 2008
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 18-08-2008, 08:47 PM
  2. Olympic cricket
    By Don in forum Olympic Games 2004
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 31-08-2004, 01:16 AM
  3. Olympic Passion
    By Mister Wright in forum Olympic Games 2004
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 23-08-2004, 10:19 PM
  4. Olympic Tennis
    By Simon in forum Olympic Games 2004
    Replies: 98
    Last Post: 22-08-2004, 06:23 PM
  5. London's Olympic Bid
    By Langeveldt in forum Olympic Games 2004
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 20-07-2004, 05:45 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •