• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Olympic Sports you don't like

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
tbf SBS are all about football normally so its only natural they will show as much of the football at the olympics as possible.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
yeah love football, hate olympic football, just find it incredibly boring to watch and its on a lot (on SBS as well which is much the better channel to watch)

Like tennis, hate olympic tennis.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Beach Volleyball (Normal Volleyball is fine) Synchronised swimming, Tennis, Baseball, Softball and Soccer/football.

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
Tbh I actually like Beach Volleyball as a sport. Seems better to watch two people construct their three shots than six people. I'd argue that it's also a mission to trek through the sand but then you'd have to make a case for every other beach sport.

Dressage is the worst excuse of a sport since the walk. Definitely agree with everyone who said that all sports whose points system is entirely subjective should go. Artistic >>> RG as well.

Strongly disagree with the notion that doubling a distance doesn't make it any different. 100m and 200m running rely on completely different energy systems ffs.

pasag

RTDAS
Have enjoyed pretty much all sports in the Olympics besides soccer, tennis, table tennis and dressage. Have even come around to gymnastics.

Burgey

BMX. FFS, expecting Nicole Kidman to make an appearance here.

Just can't see the relevance at all TBH.

Will change my mind if an Aussie wins it though :ph34r:

biased indian

International Coach
BMX,Dressage,Sync Swimming,Baseball,Mens Football,Soft ball,Trampoline,Rhythmic Gymnastic

And one more thing no country should be allowed to have more than 2 participant in the same event...its no fun seeing people from same country winning all the medals

Craig

World Traveller
Look there are millions of sports out there. Anyone who likes them can make a case for them.

I mentioned sports I enjoy that I dont think should be there. It isnt realy about personal preference.

Handball goes as the game is as shallow as a puddle, repetetive and looks like designed by a 6 year old with no imagination. There are obviously players that are better than others but I cant se anything that makes handball players particularly skillful. Every attack follows the same pattern and the players dont look right in their outfits. England have signed a small group of people to learn the game in 4 years and be competetive in 2012. Any time you can hope a small group of people with no experience can get to top level in 4 years doesnt say much for the sport.

I wouldnt also care if triple and pole vault went (and I was a triple jumper). Though I would love the mile added. Its an easy 4 laps of the track and 1500m is so awkward.

There are so many sports in the Olympics. Its great to see the cull beginning with softball removed for 2012.

Anyone can make a case for any sport but I dont want to see bicyle jousting in there, just as I dont want to see beach voleyball.

Actualy, Id be tempted to take all team sports out apart from Basketball and Volleyball. Goodbye to football, handball, baseball, softball etc and also Id get rid of Tennis (another tacky add-on).
?

The only sport I can think of is the Keiran, and believe it or not it is pretty big business in Japan. Anyway cycling is a bloody hard sport, it is more then just turning your feet over and over and keep on pedaling.

What counts as a legit sport? Is Gridiron a legit sport even though it tends to be boring as bat**** as the players do not have the ability to think for themselves or rugby?

Anyway I agree about football, the more fact a player wants to play in it, his club just tells him to GAGF anyway and doesn't let him travel. In the case of the Athens Olympics, Rangers transfer listed their then captain Craig Moore because he wanted to go (they also took his captaincy away).

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
BMX,Dressage,Sync Swimming,Baseball,Mens Football,Soft ball,Trampoline,Rhythmic Gymnastic

And one more thing no country should be allowed to have more than 2 participant in the same event...its no fun seeing people from same country winning all the medals
The idea is to recognise the best athletes in the world, hence why there are three from each country, so that in theory the world's top 3 can all get medals...

_Ed_

The idea is to recognise the best athletes in the world, hence why there are three from each country, so that in theory the world's top 3 can all get medals...
I don't get that, we were only allowed one single sculls rower when arguably we had two of the top 10 or so in the world in Drysdale and Waddell.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It changes between sports though, strangely enough. All the rowing/kayaking events have only allowed one representative from others, whilst the rest have allowed 2, and only T&F has 3.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
I don't get that, we were only allowed one single sculls rower when arguably we had two of the top 10 or so in the world in Drysdale and Waddell.
It's different in each sport. Rowing and kayaking only allow one even at their world championships, so it's clearly not an IOC decision (in many sports with team events you're usually allowed to enter the individual as long as the team is qualified).

Agreed with the general principle though - the best should be there. Winter Olympics has the balance right I think, each nation can enter up to four athletes (with the exception of figure skating for some reason).

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It's different in each sport. Rowing and kayaking only allow one even at their world championships, so it's clearly not an IOC decision (in many sports with team events you're usually allowed to enter the individual as long as the team is qualified).

Agreed with the general principle though - the best should be there. Winter Olympics has the balance right I think, each nation can enter up to four athletes (with the exception of figure skating for some reason).
You mean.. Blades of Glory wasn't a true story? :-O

Flem274*

123/5
If we got rid of every sport voted in this thread we'd have to change the Olympics to simply the world athletics festival or something. Look, if you don't like it then don't watch it. Its what I do, I don't care much for a few sports but I don't mind them being there because I have a choice to not watch it. FFS if it bothers some people that synchronized swimming or whatever is on their TV for a few hours then get off your fat arse and do something else, or at least change channel.

Flem274*

123/5
Equestrian - Despite our proud record in this, the Olympics is for humans.
I'll have to pull you up here. :p I don't mind if you don't like it, thats fine, we're all different. Thats why you're silly and vote Labour and I'm normal and support Stephen Fleming. Anyway, in equestrian there's this person sitting on the horse, or if you're Andrew Nicholson, inventing a new way to fall off and ruin it for the team, controlling it. Before you say that the rider is not an athlete I'll extend an invitation to you, or anyone else, to come to my farm and have a go. I'll even be nice and give you our best horse, and we'll see how you go. No getting away with a silly little circus horse that from my viewing, have an amazing tolerance of useless riders, you can come ride a real horse. And lose miserably. :p

I spose if you're saying just people because the Olympic ideal is about people and all the other PR stunts they pull to look good then fine, but if its in reference to riders suppossedly not doing anything of note then you're wrong. Sorry. :p

FTR, I'd keep the lot bar football, because football is really just done strangely at the Olympics. If it had the best players in the world there then it should stay, but atm its a bit meh. However I don't mind if it stays, because as I mentioned previously, I don't have to watch it.

pasag

RTDAS
If we got rid of every sport voted in this thread we'd have to change the Olympics to simply the world athletics festival or something. Look, if you don't like it then don't watch it. Its what I do, I don't care much for a few sports but I don't mind them being there because I have a choice to not watch it. FFS if it bothers some people that synchronized swimming or whatever is on their TV for a few hours then get off your fat arse and do something else, or at least change channel.
..... :p