• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Olympic cycling thread

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
True. How do they do that? Like Woods at the US Open.

Mentally tough stuff.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If you're seriously questioning Cadel Evans' mental toughness because he was unable to win a medal whilst riding with a snapped ligament, or win the tour de france when he was racing 1 again 9, you're an idiot.

Burgey

If you're seriously questioning Cadel Evans' mental toughness because he was unable to win a medal whilst riding with a snapped ligament, or win the tour de france when he was racing 1 again 9, you're an idiot.
Jesus mate, I wasn't questioning his mental toughness. I just asked how they (him, Woods or whoever) do it when they're carrying an injury like it.

Craig

World Traveller
New Zealand's Hayden Roulston absolutely smashed his Dutch rival, not only catching him, but putting enough time on him to qualify 2nd fastest. Great Britian's Bradley Wiggins (and yes he is clean) finished fastest beating Roulston's time by 3 seconds and set a new WR.

Roulston got into trouble in 2004 when he made the squad for Athens, he went out and celebrated in a bar in Christchurch with his mates (as you do), when he got asked to move on, he went on a rampage shouting 'Do you know who I am?', evidently not it seemed. And was charged with assault. At the time he was signed to ride for the then Discovery Channel squad, famous for Lance Armstrong and was lucky for that not to end up in smoke. A year on he was lucky not get the arse after getting into a pub fight in Timaru and was charged with that. Then in 2006 he had to retire after being diagnosed with a serious heart problem with a bloked artery but was able to make a comeback.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
yeah we'll take that, another Gold. We weren't expected to take this one out either, always good to beat the French. Wiggins looked good for later as well as did the two women.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Excuse my ignorance, Craig said one of the cyclists we have is from round my way, which one? Been nothing in the local press :unsure:

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Excuse my ignorance, Craig said one of the cyclists we have is from round my way, which one? Been nothing in the local press :unsure:
there's a guy from Bolton who just won gold, Kenny, i'm not sure if that's who Craig means, he probably wouldn't have got much coverage as he's only 20 and wasn't expected to be in the team he got selected ahead of someone else at the last minute

Craig

World Traveller
yeah we'll take that, another Gold. We weren't expected to take this one out either, always good to beat the French. Wiggins looked good for later as well as did the two women.
Your in luck as well, as Wiggins bases himself up near your neck of the woods in England.

Steve Cummings. From the Wirral/Birkenhead area and has been a World Champion in 2005 in the Team Pursuit. But it doesn't matter since he supports the ***** called Liver****.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Your in luck as well, as Wiggins bases himself up near your neck of the woods in England.

Steve Cummings. From the Wirral/Birkenhead area and has been a World Champion in 2005 in the Team Pursuit. But it doesn't matter since he supports the ***** called Liver****.
Nah I could never think that.
Phew. A Birkenhead bloke, really? ITSTL, will check the Wirral Globe/Bebington & Bromborough News, really, heard nothing. Last Wirralian I remember doing anything significant in the Olympics was Chris Boardman in 92, he got told in, i think the Indvidual Pursuit? Defo in cycling, anyway.

Goes without saying really that someone to make it big at something from round my way would be a ****in tunnel rat

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
That was an outstanding performance.
Some armchair expert just rung up Newstalk ZB and reckons Roulston was only on a 102-inch (? - whatever that means) gear and will step it up even further today, and claims he's a very good chance of gold. I'll take that with a grain of salt though..

_Ed_

Yeah I'd be surprised, the Brit was even more impressive.

A medal would be great though.