• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Olympic cycling thread

Craig

World Traveller
Nicole Cooke of Great Britain has won the gold medal in the women's road race. :happy:
Yeah she looked gone when lost contact with the bunch when it came to a dodgy chicane, but she did not give up and got back on and was too strong for them. Serves them right IMO.

pasag

RTDAS
Haha yeah feel pretty bad but burst out laughing as well.

Still was a pretty cool race being in the rain and all. Better than the soccer :yawn:

Craig

World Traveller
Yeah, was listening to it on the radio in the car. Sounds a gutsy win too. :)

Shame she's Welsh, but you can't have everything.
Yeah some of your best track (men) chances from the Isle of Mann, Welsh, Scottish and another one from where GIMH hails from (but is a Liverpool supporter). The other one is from London, but born in Belgium and has an Australian dad.

But I guess it the old story, now that she won she is British but when she is dire she is Welsh.

Chubb

International Regular
Yeah some of your best track (men) chances from the Isle of Mann, Welsh, Scottish and another one from where GIMH hails from (but is a Liverpool supporter). The other one is from London, but born in Belgium and has an Australian dad.

But I guess it the old story, now that she won she is British but when she is dire she is Welsh.
Yeah, but England has produced many fine track and road cyclists in the past, it's just a cycle, (no pun intended) I think.

The extent to which the British winner, regional loser thing happens is not actually as common as you probably think- it's largely confined to the tabloid press. The BBC is certainly not in the habit of doing that- they said straight away how happy Wales would be that Cooke won. And the same was true for Cavendish's victories- the article usually began "Britain's Mark Cavendish won the stage... the Manxman, 21....". What Scots and Welsh people really don't like is people calling their athletes "English" which doesn't happen very often anymore. And the same thing happens and happened for English victories. the British media isn't dominated by English people, and English people aren't always going to claim Scots and Welsh athletes as their own, any more than the other constitutent countries will. It's bound to happen when you have a nation composed of several countries- I actually think it makes Britain stronger.

Last edited:

andmark

International Captain
A surprising ending with the British woman losing pace near the finish but still winning. A BBC commentator seemed puzzled because Italy were celebrating after winning the bronze. If you won an olympic medal you would celebrate though.

Last edited:

Chubb

International Regular
A surprising ending with the British woman losing pace near the finish but still winning. A BBC commentator seemed puzzled because Italy were celebrating after winning the bronze. If you won an olympic medal you would celebrate though.
It was because the caption erroneously showed the Italian had won the race and the woman saw it and started celebrating.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
thought Cook backed off on purpose on the chicane tbh, she knew she had them in a sprint, didn't want to lose it on that dodgy chicane.

Anyway unexpected Gold to start of with is not bad

Craig

World Traveller
thought Cook backed off on purpose on the chicane tbh, she knew she had them in a sprint, didn't want to lose it on that dodgy chicane.

Anyway unexpected Gold to start of with is not bad
I would of said she was a favourite, not the number 1 but up there. Anyway Karma came back to get Judith Arndt, who is famous for given the German selectors the one fingered salute when she got silver in Athens after they did not pick her friend and team mate Petra Rossner (well they are more then just friends if you know what I mean).

BTW that Korean chick who went head first into the ditch did not finish.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
yeah she was amongst the favourites, but in most of the predictions i've seen 8 or 9 of the other events were rated as being better Gold Medal chances for GB. In one she was rated a 2/5 chance of Gold and another i saw predicted a bronze.

Craig

World Traveller
Albero Contador gave Stef Clement (Netherlands) a hiding early on but may be paying for starting too quickly. Sweden's Gustav Erik Larsson is looking a decent outside chance for a medal.

Fabian 'Spartacus' Cancellara has given Stefen Shumacher and absolute pasting and is looking like an absolute cert to get gold at this stage.

andmark

International Captain
In the women's cycling, Britain have been performing brilliantly.
Also with the men's race, today Cancellara gave an honourable race.