Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Olympic football thread

Olympic football thread

Or do you not care? Post tips in here (or not ) on who you might think will win.

Brazil have Ronaldinho in their ranks after AC Milan released him to go to Beijing, while the other Brazilian Diego of German club Werder Breman has given them the two fingered salute. The stupid thing is, why can't they just make it under the FIFA Guidlines and make it easier on everybody and stop these petty arguments which will end up as a full-blown falling out and I wouldn't be surprised if Breman tell Diego to GAFG now. Mind you, he has nobody but himself to blame for that.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Because we don't bother with it* (all due to Wales, Scotland & Northern Ireland being nervous about losing their international status if we compete as GB in yer Olympics, appparently) it's always been a bit "meh" to me. Couldn't even tell you who's in it or who the current champions are. Although Argentina (boo, hiss, etc) rings a bell for some reason.

*& we woulda ****ing qualified this time too.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"The committee discussed the issue of illegal bowling actions, and believed that there are a number of bowlers currently employing suspect actions in international cricket, and that the ICC's reporting and testing procedures are not adequately scrutinising these bowlers."
    - Even the ICC's own official press release thinks things must change

Yeah Argentina are the defending champs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Mitch Johnson is ****ing awesome for cricket.
    Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    Ponting's ability to ton up in the first innings of a series should not be understated. So much pressure, so important. What a great!

U19 Cricketer
    Care a bit about it, especially pissed with Seven's coverage here in Australia.

Argentina as defending champs and with some of their selections should be favourites this time around.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Because we don't bother with it* (all due to Wales, Scotland & Northern Ireland being nervous about losing their international status if we compete as GB in yer Olympics, appparently) it's always been a bit "meh" to me. Couldn't even tell you who's in it or who the current champions are. Although Argentina (boo, hiss, etc) rings a bell for some reason.

*& we woulda ****ing qualified this time too.
    what makes you say we'd qualify?

Anyway, we were supposed to be playing in 2012 but the provinces don't want to get involved. Should just play the England side as GB IMO. I don't see why they are so arsed about losing international status anyway, it is the only chance most of them will ever get to play in a WC/EC (though it's obviously not a guarantee in recent times!)
    "It was an easy decision to sign. I could have gone elsewhere, I had calls, but it never entered my mind it's not about the money."
    Jason Koumas

SWA

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    what makes you say we'd qualify?

Anyway, we were supposed to be playing in 2012 but the provinces don't want to get involved. Should just play the England side as GB IMO. I don't see why they are so arsed about losing international status anyway, it is the only chance most of them will ever get to play in a WC/EC (though it's obviously not a guarantee in recent times!)
    Because we did. The European U21 championship doubles up as qualifying for the Olympics and as we got to the semis we'd have had one of the 4 spots. IIRC Serbia & Italy (who finished third in their respective groups) played off for the final spot. Went to pens, but can't remember who actually won.

Ah right I assumed they'd have separate qualifiers for the Olympics as it's an U23 comp IIRC. Shows the disregard for it here though

Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    Ah right I assumed they'd have separate qualifiers for the Olympics as it's an U23 comp IIRC. Shows the disregard for it here though
    The Under-21s is a bit of a misnomer, really. It's effectively under-23s, in practice. The tournaments run in two-year cycles (co-inciding with the qualifcation for world cups/european nations cups) & if a player is 21 or under in the first year of the cycle (we're obv just starting one again now) they're classed as eligible right up until the end of it, which will be 2010 when that player could be 23.

Ah yeah, I did know that actually.Seem to remember friendlies in years gone by where players aged about 24 actually got a game, dunno if rules are different for friendlies or where different back then, or perhaps I am making it up, Jamie Redknapp springs to mind though

What is the big deal about as competing as Great Britian in the 1st place? I mean why not just compete as England, Scotland etc.?

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Samuel_Vimes's Avatar
    Defend Your Castle Champion! Monkey Diving Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    What is the big deal about as competing as Great Britian in the 1st place? I mean why not just compete as England, Scotland etc.?
    IOC won't allow it. Basically it'll be four teams representing one Olympic committee.
    Messi scores on the rebound.

Founder of ESAS - Edgar Schiferli, the best associate bowler
    A follower of the schools of Machiavelli, Bentham, Locke, Hobbes, Sutcliffe, Bradman, Lindwall, Miller, Hassett and Benaud
    Member of JMAS, DMAS, FRAS and RTDAS

Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Grünbaum
    Is the conduct approved by the gods right ("pious"), because of properties of its own, or merely because it pleases the gods to value or command it?

There really are simple solutions.

Which ever of the Home Nations qualifies then they represent the GB team. If 2 nations qualify then there is a play off.

If no nation qualifies then GB doesnt send a team.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    IOC won't allow it. Basically it'll be four teams representing one Olympic committee.
    Then they each have one Olympic committee. Viable then?

I'd be fine with it tbh but Athletics is one sport where we have always competed as GB and is usually the main focus of the Olympics. It will never happen

International Vice-Captain Jungle Jumbo's Avatar
    Olympic football has never made much sense to me really. For most sports, the Olympics represents something near the height of achievement - a gold in the 100m is probably worth more than a gold in the 100m in the world championships. Football has the World Cup. An U23 event which promiment players are often reluctant to participate in doesn't make much sense.

I also think it goes against the amateur spirit - these guys are being paid big bucks week in, week out, yet appear alongside those who get the only exposure of their careers at the Olympics. Doesn't work for me.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information