• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

OK then, a Dutch thread

Steulen

International Regular
The stated aim of the Dutch governement and sports administrators is to be one of the ten leading sports countries in the world. Which is ambitious for such a small country, to say the least. My prediction is they will fall short this time, but should still come 12th-13th in the medals table.

Sure bets for medals are in hockey, swimming, rowing, sailing, cycling and horseback silliness.

Unfortunately a medal in athletics isn't too likely, unless in the shot put with Rutger Smith. Other hopes include the male beach volleyball duo, the baseball team, and of course the soccer team which is the reigning double European Champion.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Dutch Soccer team is going to Olympics after 50 years...Is there any reason why they didn't participate for so long ?

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
The stated aim of the Dutch governement and sports administrators is to be one of the ten leading sports countries in the world.
When Norway have a similar aim (I think it's top ten here too actually) we count the winter medals. Do the Dutch as well?

The football team looks half-decent. Think Babel will withdraw with an injury though.

Craig

World Traveller
Theo Bos should get a medal or two. If cyclo-cross was an Olympic sport then Lars Boom would of had a great chance.

Steulen

International Regular
Dutch Soccer team is going to Olympics after 50 years...Is there any reason why they didn't participate for so long ?
Basically they have been ****e for 50 years. The U23 or amateur team was never taken seriously, so there were no serious efforts to qualify. That changed a few years ago, with instant rewards in winning the Euro champs twice and thus qualifying for Beijing. They should get out of the group, and then it's basically a lottery.

Steulen

International Regular
Theo Bos should get a medal or two. If cyclo-cross was an Olympic sport then Lars Boom would of had a great chance.
Yeah, the track cyclists should get a fair collection of medals. For me, the track cycling battles between GB and the Netherlands will be among the highlights of the Olympics.

In road cycling, Marianne Vos is the big favourite for the women's road race, and there's always a chance one of the men nicks a medal in the same event. In the time trial Stef Clement should finish close to a medal position as well.

In BMX there are some medal favourites as well, although unfotunately in my gfavourtie event, the mountain biking, things are not looking good.

Cycling should be the big medal spinner for us.