Cricket Player Manager
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Boycotting the Olympics?

Global Moderator nightprowler10's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    SS, out of interest, is this a common opinion round your way?
    I'd say its starting to become less acceptable day by day.
    Forever 63* at the SCG

International Vice-Captain andruid's Avatar
    Sometimes I'm online, Sometimes I'm offline
    Quote Originally Posted by Anil View Post
    no offense but that's a seriously hypocritical attitude by the developed nations...they wanted the globalization in the first place because they wanted expanding markets for their products...so they talked/coerced a lot of developing countries into doing it...and they didn't give a hoot about the local industries in those developing markets succumbing to the assault of global competition....well finally they are getting their global markets...just forgot that global trade works both ways, didn't they(and it is not as if the playing fields are anything close to level even now)? after all this, it is so stupid to hear the moaning and groaning about industries/work going to so-called 3rd world countries and a newly developed sense of "patriotism"....sorry clapo i know this is off-topic and the rant is not directed specifically at you but i see this sort of attitude a lot around me nowadays and the hypocrisy just sickens me...
    What he said x2 food miles be damned
    Quote Originally Posted by fredfertang View Post
    Why don't the boxers have any head protection any more?
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Burgey submitted a class action suggesting they harden the **** up.

Quote Originally Posted by andruid View Post
    What he said x2 food miles be damned
    no idea what that means...

Quote Originally Posted by nightprowler10 View Post
    I'd say its starting to become less acceptable day by day.
    Not in American Football. Shawn Merriman, Rodney Harrison are two of the most accepted players by their fans. It is a hogwash, really.

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by _Ed_ View Post
    I certainly will be, to an extent. Usually I find it hard to get away from the TV even for sleep during the Olympics, but for the reasons you mentioned (mostly the Chinese government) I won't be taking much of an interest this time.

I've got a family friend in the NZ rowing team so I'll watch her races, not planning to watch much more than that though. Having said that, I'll still find it hard not to watch when there's a NZer in with a strong medal chance.
    So, as you said, you'll rarely be watching
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

Quote Originally Posted by andyc View Post
    So you are boycotting it then?

Dammit, got me by a good stretch!

I'm totally against steroids...now. I did take them for a while though to make me smaller for the ladies:

Aww yeah
    That`s right baby.
    Girl, tonight we`re gonna make love. You know how I know, baby? `Cause it`s Wednesday. And Wednesday night is the night that we make love. Tuesday night`s the night that we go and visit your mother, but Wednesday night is the night that we make love. `Cause everything is just right conditions are perfect. There`s nothing good on TV. Conditions are perfect. You lean in close and say something sexy like, "I might go to bed I`ve got work in the morning." I know what you`re trying to say baby. You`re trying to say, "Oh, yeah. It`s business time. It`s business time."

It`s business.
    It`s business time.
    That`s what you`re trying to say you`re trying to say let`s get down to business it`s business time.

It`s business.
    It`s business time.
    Next thing you know we`re in the bathroom brushing our teeth. That`s all part of it, that`s foreplay. Then you go sort out the recycling. That`s not part of it but it`s still very important. Then we`re in the bedroom. You`re wearing that ugly old baggy t-shirt from that team building exercise you did for your old work. And it`s never looked better on you.

Oh, team building exercise `99.

Oh, you don`t know what you`re doing to me.
    I remove my jeans but trip over them `cause I still got my shoes on. But I turn it into a sexy dance.
    Next thing you know I`m down to just my socks and you know when I`m down to just my socks what time it is?it`s time for business. It`s business time.

It`s business.
    It`s business time.
    You know when I`m down to just my socks it`s time for business that`s why they call it business socks.

It`s business.
    It`s business time.
    Oh.
    Ooh, makin` love.
    Makin` love for two.
    Makin` love for two minutes.
    When it`s with me you only need two minutes, `cause I`m so intense. Two minutes in heaven is better than one minute in heaven. You say something like, "Is that it?" I know what you`re trying to say. You`re trying to say, "Aww yeah, that`s it." Then you tell me you want some more. Well I`m not surprised. But I`m quite sleepy.

It`s business.
    It`s business time.
    Business hours are over. Right, right.

It`s business.
    It`s business time.

International 12th Man Shaggy Alfresco's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Anil View Post
    no offense but that's a seriously hypocritical attitude by the developed nations...they wanted the globalization in the first place because they wanted expanding markets for their products...so they talked/coerced a lot of developing countries into doing it...and they didn't give a hoot about the local industries in those developing markets succumbing to the assault of global competition....well finally they are getting their global markets...just forgot that global trade works both ways, didn't they(and it is not as if the playing fields are anything close to level even now)? after all this, it is so stupid to hear the moaning and groaning about industries/work going to so-called 3rd world countries and a newly developed sense of "patriotism"....sorry clapo i know this is off-topic and the rant is not directed specifically at you but i see this sort of attitude a lot around me nowadays and the hypocrisy just sickens me...
    Your rant may be incoherent and factually innacurate, but the jist of it is right. Protectionism makes my blood boil.

Quote Originally Posted by Son Of Coco View Post
    So, as you said, you'll rarely be watching
    Still bitter about Los Angeles 1984?

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Alfresco View Post
    Your rant may be incoherent and factually innacurate, but the jist of it is right. Protectionism makes my blood boil.
    why is it incoherent, because i used lower case throughout? and factually there is nothing inaccurate about it although the post didn't go into details...it is the truth, i have seen/experienced both aspects of the issue...

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    I would say that if you ask a pointed question, most people would say they don't like steroids and wish they didn't exist. On a practical level, no one cares. And if you ask if it would be worth it to you if your entire team was pumped full of steroids if it means you could win a championship, you'd get an overwhelming yes.

Not as many. The question is, does it affect my enjoyment, or popularity of the sport because of it? The answer is a resounding no, at least from me.

Athletes have gotten bigger and stronger "naturally" too, via better nutrition, supplements and training. Steroids, as far as I am concerned, are just other supplements. To me, the line is very blurred. After a weight lifting session, many players take over the counter or prescribed protein shakes that pretty much do what steroids do, to a lesser degree. The line we draw in terms of what is legal and what isn't is extremely arbitrary.

That's the big elephant in the room no one wants to talk about. At what point does a substance become too good to take? Where is the line there?
    If a team has to pump themselves full of drugs to win something, then they can't be that talented in the first place, either that if everybody else is pumped full of drugs so you have to have a shot in the first place, then it is a greater issue that needs to be adressed.

As far as I'm concerned, I'm sick of the drug cheating in sports, frankly it is fraud, sporting wise at least, and the greater the effort to stamp it out, the better IMO.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    If a team has to pump themselves full of drugs to win something, then they can't be that talented in the first place, either that if everybody else is pumped full of drugs so you have to have a shot in the first place, then it is a greater issue that needs to be adressed.

As far as I'm concerned, I'm sick of the drug cheating in sports, frankly it is fraud, sporting wise at least, and the greater the effort to stamp it out, the better IMO.
    Again, I ask where is the line drawn in terms of which supplements are OK and which are not? It's weird to make the statement that you don't want chemists involved in sport - but guess what? Every supplement is designed by chemists.

And yes, everyone is shot, so it evens out.
    Last edited by silentstriker; 02-07-2008 at 07:29 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Quote Originally Posted by _Ed_ View Post
    I certainly will be, to an extent. Usually I find it hard to get away from the TV even for sleep during the Olympics, but for the reasons you mentioned (mostly the Chinese government) I won't be taking much of an interest this time.
    Hmm, that didn't last long.

My indifference lasted until the day before the Opening Ceremony...but it's the Olympics!

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    http://www.smh.com.au/news/off-the-f...306898050.html

haha, awesome. Love this line.

"Mr Chen said the original choice for the lead was a 10-year-old girl, who was used throughout the rehearsals for Friday's opening extravaganza but she was dumped after the director, Zhang Yimou, deemed her "a little too old".

Well yes, of course. Would hate to interrupt the lolita fantasties of some viewers....
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    It wasn't because she was old, it was because she was ugly. The officials admitted as such, then changed their story to 'old' when they realized what douchebags they sounded like.
    Last edited by silentstriker; 12-08-2008 at 07:08 PM.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread Information