• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Battle of the most memorable moments in Summer Olympics history

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
With the Olympics approaching I think this will be a gun batle.

I've decided to make the rules that everyone can nominate 10 moments and second 7 and we'll see how many we get, aiming for maybe 72 of the best moments, depending how popular this gets.

Are you feeling Olympic?

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
* Muhammed Ali lighting the flame at the 1996 Atlanta Olympics.

* 1992 Opening Ceremony Barcelona, the Archer lighting the flame..

* Michael Johnson 200m and 400m double at the Atlanta Olympics smashing the World Record in the 200m.

* Greg Louganis, diving hitting his head and coming back to win gold.

* USA Dream Team - Basketball - The team was awesome: Jordon, Magic, Bird etc.

* Cathy Freeman 400m 2000 Olympics, I've gotta include this.

* Nadia Comaneci first ever perfect 10.

Last edited:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
* 1992 Opening Ceremony Barcelona, the Archer lighting the flame..

A tad overly theatrical IMO. The arrow sailed way over the torch and then it magically burst into flames.

It was a nice effect and idea but so obviously false.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
A tad overly theatrical IMO. The arrow sailed way over the torch and then it magically burst into flames.

It was a nice effect and idea but so obviously false.
Yeah, I was what 9 or so at the time and I thought it was just incredible. Haven't see a replay of it in a while though.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Nominated
Muhammed Ali lighting the flame at the 1996 Atlanta Olympics.
1992 Opening Ceremony Barcelona, the Archer lighting the flame.
Michael Johnson 200m and 400m double at the Atlanta Olympics smashing the World Record in the 200m.
Greg Louganis, diving hitting his head and coming back to win gold.
USA Dream Team - Basketball - The team was awesome: Jordon, Magic, Bird etc.
Cathy Freeman 400m 2000 Olympics.
Perkins 1500 win from lane 8.
Eric the Eel.
Seb Coes 'I told you so' in the 1984 1500m. Breathtaking, beautiful and special. A man written off that destroys the field and is still the only back-to-back winner of Olympic 1500m.http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=KupBT6XdC2c
Jesse Owens.
Nadia Comaneci first ever perfect 10.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I'll go with the first things I think of:

1) - Linford Christie winning the 100m in 1992
2) - GB beating West Germany in the 1988 hockey final & especially Barry Davies's commentary "Where were the Germans? &, frankly, who cares?" Jingoism at its finest. :cool:
3) - Derek Redmond being helped round the track by his dad after his hamstring went in the 400m final
4) - Redgrave's "If you see me go near a boat you have my permission to shoot me" after winning gold in 1996. He, of course, returned 4 years later.
5) - Ben Johnson's run in the 1988 games. Doped he may've been, but it was awesome at the time.
6) - The Aussie swimming relay team air-guitaring in celebration after winning gold in a reference to some American swimmer's comment about "Smashing them like guitars".
7) - The siege at the 1972 Olympics. Nuff said.
8) - Chariots of Fire; Liddle, Abrahams & all that.
9) - Some Korean boxer refusng to leave the ring for what seemed like years after losing a points decision in 1988.
10) - Bob Beamon's leap in the 1968 Mexico games.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
I'll go with the first things I think of:

1) - Linford Christie winning the 100m in 1992
2) - GB beating West Germany in the 1988 hockey final & especially Barry Davies's commentary "Where were the Germans? &, frankly, who cares?" Jingoism at its finest. :cool:
3) - Derek Redmond being helped round the track by his dad after his hamstring went in the 400m final
4) - Redgrave's "If you see me go near a boat you have my permission to shoot me" after winning gold in 1996. He, of course, returned 4 years later.
5) - Ben Johnson's run in the 1988 games. Doped he may've been, but it was awesome at the time.
6) - The Aussie swimming relay team air-guitaring in celebration after winning gold in a reference to some American swimmer's comment about "Smashing them like guitars".
7) - The siege at the 1972 Olympics. Nuff said.
8) - Chariots of Fire; Liddle, Abrahams & all that.
9) - Some Korean boxer refusng to leave the ring for what seemed like years after losing a points decision in 1988.
10) - Bob Beamon's leap in the 1968 Mexico games.
All that is Porritt! Our only sprinting medallist in history.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
All that is Porritt! Our only sprinting medallist in history.
Ha. I imagine some dramatic licence was taken, but I remember in the film when he's presented to the Prince of Wales he said something like the NZ athletics board said that as he was at Oxford anyway he might as well have a go.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Seconded
3) - Derek Redmond being helped round the track by his dad after his hamstring went in the 400m final.

I dunno if this is working that well, lol.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Nominated
1 Muhammed Ali lighting the flame at the 1996 Atlanta Olympics.
2 1992 Opening Ceremony Barcelona, the Archer lighting the flame.
3 Michael Johnson 200m and 400m double at the Atlanta Olympics smashing the World Record in the 200m.
4 Greg Louganis, diving hitting his head and coming back to win gold.
5 USA Dream Team - Basketball - The team was awesome: Jordon, Magic, Bird etc.
6 Cathy Freeman 400m 2000 Olympics, the race that stopped the nation.
7 Perkins 1500 win from lane 8.
8 Eric the Eel.
9 Seb Coes 'I told you so' in the 1984 1500m. Breathtaking, beautiful and special. A man written off that destroys the field and is still the only back-to-back winner of Olympic 1500m.http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=KupBT6XdC2c
10 Jesse Owens.
11 Nadia Comaneci first ever perfect 10.
12 Linford Christie winning the 100m in 1992
13 GB beating West Germany in the 1988 hockey final & especially Barry Davies's commentary "Where were the Germans? &, frankly, who cares?" Jingoism at its finest.
14 Derek Redmond being helped round the track by his dad after his hamstring went in the 400m final
15 Redgrave's "If you see me go near a boat you have my permission to shoot me" after winning gold in 1996. He, of course, returned 4 years later.
16 Ben Johnson's run in the 1988 games. Doped he may've been, but it was awesome at the time.
17 The Aussie swimming relay team air-guitaring in celebration after winning gold in a reference to some American swimmer's comment about "Smashing them like guitars".
18 The siege at the 1972 Olympics. Nuff said.
19 Chariots of Fire; Liddle, Abrahams & all that.
20 Some Korean boxer refusng to leave the ring for what seemed like years after losing a points decision in 1988.
21 Bob Beamon's leap in the 1968 Mexico games.
22 Cricket at the 1900 Olympics.
23 Edwin Moses rounding out his stunning career with a win in the 400m hurdles at Seoul in 1988...

Seconded
1 Cathy Freeman 400m 2000 Olympics, the race that stopped the nation.
2 Nadia Comaneci first ever perfect 10.
3 Derek Redmond being helped round the track by his dad after his hamstring went in the 400m final

Last edited:

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Edwin Moses rounding out his stunning career with a win in the 400m hurdles at Seoul in 1988...

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Nominate:
- Mark Spitz's 7 Gold and 7 world records - Munich 1972
- Dawn Fraser wins her 3rd straight 100m freestyle - Tokyo 1964
- Shane Gould, wins 3 gold, and becomes the first ever female swimmer to win 3 Olympic Gold each in WR time (200m IM, 200m & 400m free). By doing so she also became the only male or female swimmer to ever hold the WR for each freestyle event from 100m to 1500m at the same time. She was only 15 at the time, and retired soon after - Munich 1972

Second:
- Mens 4x100m Relay Sydney 2000, take that Gary Hall Wkr.
- USA Dream Team Bball
- Johnsons 200/400 double

Will think of more later.

Soooo wanted to nominate Lewis vs. Powell, shame it was at the world champs though :(