• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Battle of the most memorable moments in Summer Olympics history

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeup Second this, One of the greatest moments in Olympic History and a very touching and inspiring story of not only the American athletes but also the Aussie who won the silver medal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aodCkVOzj8g&feature=related

(4:00)

''I said to John, 'You got another one of those badges?' '' Norman said, referring to the human-rights badges Smith and Carlos planned to wear over their hearts. ''He said, 'If I get you one, will you wear it?' I said, 'I sure would.' ''

Wow..
Yeah, Norman's legacy is amazing, his actions were extremely admirable. The actions of the Olympic Committee, and the US and Australian publics following the incident however were the exact opposite.

Norman not only wore a human-rights badge in support of the two that night, but in an interview years later he told me he actually came up with the idea to split Smith's black gloves in the athletes' lounge, so both at least had one to cover their fists.

Many of us were children or not yet born, but there was a time when having a social conscience superseded personal wealth and popularity in sports, a time when empowerment among elite athletes had nothing to do with economics. You either believed in a cause and took action or you hushed up. In 1968, against the wish of his own nation, Peter Norman did something.

"Any other white guy, I don't think he would have had the courage to go through with it," Carlos said yesterday. "Our lives were threatened. We were being demonized in the media. People were saying we wanted the destruction of society instead of what we really wanted, equal rights. I just don't think most white individuals would not have been strong enough to make that commitment.

"At least me and Tommie had each other when we came home," he added. "When Peter went home, he had to deal with a nation by himself. He never wavered, never denied that he was up there with us for a purpose and he never said 'I'm sorry' for his involvement. That's indicative of who the man was."

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, Norman's legacy is amazing, his actions were extremely admirable. The actions of the Olympic Committee, and the US and Australian publics following the incident however were the exact opposite.
Indeed. They were not even his countrymen, not even his team mates. These two Athletes were Americans, whom Norman probably met first time during the Olympics. Yet having that kind of empathy to their cause in such a short span from someone coming from his background is just so extraordinary, courageous and commendable.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Nominated
1 Muhammed Ali lighting the flame at the 1996 Atlanta Olympics.
2 1992 Opening Ceremony Barcelona, the Archer lighting the flame.
3 Michael Johnson 200m and 400m double at the Atlanta Olympics
4 Greg Louganis, diving hitting his head and coming back to win gold.
85 USA Dream Team - Basketball 1992 - The team was awesome: Jordon, Magic, Bird etc.
6 Cathy Freeman 400m 2000 Olympics, the race that stopped the nation.
7 Perkins 1500 win from lane 8.
8 Eric the Eel. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zjCc...eature=related
9 Seb Coes 'I told you so' in the 1984 1500m. Breathtaking, beautiful and special. A man written off that destroys the field and is still the only back-to-back winner of Olympic 1500m.http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=KupBT6XdC2c
10 Jesse Owens winning 4 Gold Medals in Berlin.
11 Nadia Comaneci first ever perfect 10.
12 Linford Christie winning the 100m in 1992
13 GB beating West Germany in the 1988 hockey final & especially Barry Davies's commentary "Where were the Germans? &, frankly, who cares?" Jingoism at its finest.
14 Derek Redmond being helped round the track by his dad after his hamstring went in the 400m final
15 Redgrave's "If you see me go near a boat you have my permission to shoot me" after winning gold in 1996. He, of course, returned 4 years later.
16 Ben Johnson's run in the 1988 games. Doped he may've been, but it was awesome at the time.
17 The Aussie swimming relay team air-guitaring in celebration after winning gold in a reference to Gary Hall Jnr comment about "Smashing them like guitars".
18 The siege at the 1972 Olympics. Nuff said.
19 Chariots of Fire; Liddle, Abrahams & all that.
20 Some Korean boxer refusng to leave the ring for what seemed like years after losing a points decision in 1988.
21 Bob Beamon's leap in the 1968 Mexico games.
22 Cricket at the 1900 Olympics.
23 Edwin Moses rounding out his stunning career with a bronze in the 400m hurdles at Seoul in 1988...
24 DFK hurdles gold in 1988. [Debbie Flintoff-King]
25 Mark Spitz's 7 Gold and 7 world records - Munich 1972
26 Dawn Fraser wins her 3rd straight 100m freestyle - Tokyo 1964
27 Shane Gould, wins 3 gold, and becomes the first ever female swimmer to win 3 Olympic Gold each in WR time (200m IM, 200m & 400m free). By doing so she also became the only male or female swimmer to ever hold the WR for each freestyle event from 100m to 1500m at the same time. She was only 15 at the time.
28. Shane Heal v Yanks 1996.
29. Jane Saville - Disqualification in the 20km walk, just out of the stadium, losing a certain gold.
30. Abebe Bikila of Ethiopia Wins the Olympic Marathon, Running Barefoot! 1960 Summer Olympic Games in Rome.
31. Olga Korbut's performance in 1972 Russian Gymnast.
32. Cecil Healy 1912 Stockholm - silver in 100m freestyle. Olympic spirit at it's finest.
33. Karoly Takacs, pistol shooter from Hungary, right handed rapid fire shooter loses right hand in WW2, comes back and wins gold with his left hand!
34. Carl Schumann 1896 - Won 3 Golds in Gymnastics and 1 in Greco Roman Wrestling, he also competed in long jump, triple jump and shot put and in weightlifting.
35. African American athletes Tommie Smith and John Carlos perform their Power to the People salute at the 1968 Summer Olympics in Mexico City.
36. Sydney Olympic mascots 10m bomb diving http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg8YSKc6pgc&feature=related

Seconded and through to the finals.
1 Cathy Freeman 400m 2000 Olympics, the race that stopped the nation.
2 Nadia Comaneci first ever perfect 10.
3 Derek Redmond being helped round the track by his dad after his hamstring went in the 400m final
4 8 Eric the Eel. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zjCc...eature=related
5 Perkins 1500 win from lane 8.
6 The Aussie swimming relay team air-guitaring in celebration after winning gold in a reference to Gary Hall Jnr comment about "Smashing them like guitars".
7 USA Dream Team - Basketball - The team was awesome: Jordon, Magic, Bird etc
8 Michael Johnson 200m and 400m double at the Atlanta Olympics
9 Jesse Owens winning 4 Gold Medals in Berlin.
10 Muhammed Ali lighting the flame at the 1996 Atlanta Olympics.
11 Greg Louganis, diving hitting his head and coming back to win gold.
12 Bob Beamon's leap in the 1968 Mexico games.
13.African American athletes Tommie Smith and John Carlos perform their Power to the People salute at the 1968 Summer Olympics in Mexico City.
14. Sydney Olympic mascots 10m bomb diving http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg8YSKc6pgc&feature=related

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
:laugh:

Tbf though, it did. Everyone I know was talking about it in the lead up and there was a crazy amount of media build up. I remember in my house, literally every family member stopped what they were doing to watch it, that has never happened before and has never happened since especially as apart from myself and my brother we're not a sporting family at all. It might be cliche but that's what happened.
Haha yep, you're right about that. I was able to watch her race in the heats when I attended the Olympics. Was awesome.

Freeman had captured our hearts back in 1996 anyway, it was just the fact that she missed the gold then that made her 2000 run all the more special (though the French chick that won the gold in 96 ran off cos she was being stalked or something right? :unsure: ).

I remember in 96 I was in grade 4 and the whole class was allowed to watch the race. We were shattered when she lost, and the teacher told us how she still did us proud and put in a great effort.

Ahh good old Cathy. I also remember her coffee ads as well.

"Is black okay?"
"Black will be fine"

ohtani's jacket

State Vice-Captain
Two of my favourites from my adopted homeland:

-- 1984, in his first and only appearance at the Olympics, legendary judoka Yasuhiro Yama****a wins the Gold Medal despite tearing a right calf muscle in the preliminary match (his pivot leg.) His opponent in the Final, Mohamed Ali Rashwan, receives an award from the International Fairplay Committee for not targeting Yama****a's injured leg. http://nz.youtube.com/watch?v=AajY3HA0RtU

-- 1976, Shun Fujimoto -- "scored 9.5 on the pommel horse and 9.7 on the rings with a broken knee, dismounting from the rings from eight feet above ground and keeping his balance after landing on his feet." http://nz.youtube.com/watch?v=Gq-C5-vIim8

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Haha yep, you're right about that. I was able to watch her race in the heats when I attended the Olympics. Was awesome.

Freeman had captured our hearts back in 1996 anyway, it was just the fact that she missed the gold then that made her 2000 run all the more special (though the French chick that won the gold in 96 ran off cos she was being stalked or something right? :unsure: ).

I remember in 96 I was in grade 4 and the whole class was allowed to watch the race. We were shattered when she lost, and the teacher told us how she still did us proud and put in a great effort.

Ahh good old Cathy. I also remember her coffee ads as well.

"Is black okay?"
"Black will be fine"
I enjoyed watching Freeman in 96. TBH, 96 is the Olympics I watched most of all, I was 12 at the time and just stayed up all night every night watching the track and field, the weightlifting and whatever else. Felt sad when it ended as I had a feeling nothing I would never quite enjoy an Olympiad that much again and I was right.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Anyway, I'd like to second Goughy's nomination of Seb Coe. Always found it fascinating that a superb athlete whose stronger suit was clearly the 800m won two golds in the 1500. Damn shame he never went in 88.

Would like to nominate the following:

• Britain win gold in the 4 X 100, Athens 04
  • Kelly Holmes, Athens 04
  • Redgrave makes it five in Sydney 2000
  • Pinsent's four in a row 2004
  • Carl Lewis wins the Long Jump gold in 1996, what a marvellous moment as he made it four in a row
  • Carl Lewis LA 1984, what a brilliant athlete

Also if Jesse Owens hasn't been seconded then I second it, saw it nominated earlier

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Hicham El Guerrouj's two golds at Athens is memorable for me. Possibly my favourite track and field athlete ever.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
What about that Mongolian guy(Pyambu Tuul ?) who ran the marathon in 1992...he was so slow it was dark when he finished and they closed the stadium so he had to finish on the training track. They interviewed him afterwards and asked him if it was the best day of his life and he said no...up until 6 months ago he was completely blind and the greatest day of his life was when he got his sight back and saw his wife and children.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
What about that Mongolian guy(Pyambu Tuul ?) who ran the marathon in 1992...he was so slow it was dark when he finished and they closed the stadium so he had to finish on the training track. They interviewed him afterwards and asked him if it was the best day of his life and he said no...up until 6 months ago he was completely blind and the greatest day of his life was when he got his sight back and saw his wife and children.
Sounds made up, especially as I was at Barca 92 and dont recall this.

However, apparently true. Number 6

How I didnt know this is beyond me.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Nominated
1 Muhammed Ali lighting the flame at the 1996 Atlanta Olympics.
2 1992 Opening Ceremony Barcelona, the Archer lighting the flame.
3 Michael Johnson 200m and 400m double at the Atlanta Olympics
4 Greg Louganis, diving hitting his head and coming back to win gold.
85 USA Dream Team - Basketball 1992 - The team was awesome: Jordon, Magic, Bird etc.
6 Cathy Freeman 400m 2000 Olympics, the race that stopped the nation.
7 Perkins 1500 win from lane 8.
8 Eric the Eel. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zjCc...eature=related
9 Seb Coes 'I told you so' in the 1984 1500m. Breathtaking, beautiful and special. A man written off that destroys the field and is still the only back-to-back winner of Olympic 1500m.http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=KupBT6XdC2c
10 Jesse Owens winning 4 Gold Medals in Berlin.
11 Nadia Comaneci first ever perfect 10.
12 Linford Christie winning the 100m in 1992
13 GB beating West Germany in the 1988 hockey final & especially Barry Davies's commentary "Where were the Germans? &, frankly, who cares?" Jingoism at its finest.
14 Derek Redmond being helped round the track by his dad after his hamstring went in the 400m final
15 Redgrave's "If you see me go near a boat you have my permission to shoot me" after winning gold in 1996. He, of course, returned 4 years later.
16 Ben Johnson's run in the 1988 games. Doped he may've been, but it was awesome at the time.
17 The Aussie swimming relay team air-guitaring in celebration after winning gold in a reference to Gary Hall Jnr comment about "Smashing them like guitars".
18 The siege at the 1972 Olympics. Nuff said.
19 Chariots of Fire; Liddle, Abrahams & all that.
20 Some Korean boxer refusng to leave the ring for what seemed like years after losing a points decision in 1988.
21 Bob Beamon's leap in the 1968 Mexico games.
22 Cricket at the 1900 Olympics.
23 Edwin Moses rounding out his stunning career with a bronze in the 400m hurdles at Seoul in 1988...
24 DFK hurdles gold in 1988. [Debbie Flintoff-King]
25 Mark Spitz's 7 Gold and 7 world records - Munich 1972
26 Dawn Fraser wins her 3rd straight 100m freestyle - Tokyo 1964
27 Shane Gould, wins 3 gold, and becomes the first ever female swimmer to win 3 Olympic Gold each in WR time (200m IM, 200m & 400m free). By doing so she also became the only male or female swimmer to ever hold the WR for each freestyle event from 100m to 1500m at the same time. She was only 15 at the time.
28. Shane Heal v Yanks 1996.
29. Jane Saville - Disqualification in the 20km walk, just out of the stadium, losing a certain gold.
30. Abebe Bikila of Ethiopia Wins the Olympic Marathon, Running Barefoot! 1960 Summer Olympic Games in Rome.
31. Olga Korbut's performance in 1972 Russian Gymnast.
32. Cecil Healy 1912 Stockholm - silver in 100m freestyle. Olympic spirit at it's finest.
33. Karoly Takacs, pistol shooter from Hungary, right handed rapid fire shooter loses right hand in WW2, comes back and wins gold with his left hand!
34. Carl Schumann 1896 - Won 3 Golds in Gymnastics and 1 in Greco Roman Wrestling, he also competed in long jump, triple jump and shot put and in weightlifting.
35. African American athletes Tommie Smith and John Carlos perform their Power to the People salute at the 1968 Summer Olympics in Mexico City.
36. Sydney Olympic mascots 10m bomb diving http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg8YS...eature=related
37. 1984, Legendary judoka Yasuhiro Yama****a wins the Gold Medal despite tearing a right calf muscle in the preliminary match (his pivot leg.) His opponent in the Final, Mohamed Ali Rashwan, receives an award from the International Fairplay Committee for not targeting Yama****a's injured leg. http://nz.youtube.com/watch?v=AajY3HA0RtU
38.1976, Shun Fujimoto -- "scored 9.5 on the pommel horse and 9.7 on the rings with a broken knee, dismounting from the rings from eight feet above ground and keeping his balance after landing on his feet." http://nz.youtube.com/watch?v=Gq-C5-vIim8
39.Britain win gold in the 4 X 100, Athens 04
40. Kelly Holmes, Athens 04
41. Redgrave makes it five in Sydney 2000
42. Pinsent's four in a row 2004
43. Carl Lewis wins the Long Jump gold in 1996, what a marvellous moment as he made it four in a row
44. Carl Lewis LA 1984, what a brilliant athlete
45. Hicham El Guerrouj's two golds at Athens
46. Mongolian guy Pyambu Tuul who ran the marathon in 1992...he was so slow it was dark when he finished and they closed the stadium so he had to finish on the training track. They interviewed him afterwards and asked him if it was the best day of his life and he said no...up until 6 months ago he was completely blind and the greatest day of his life was when he got his sight back and saw his wife and children.
47. Kipchoge Keino Mexico '68. Got stuck in traffic and ran the last mile to the stadium then went on to win the 1500 metres by the largest margin ever.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ric1DJJ5WAg
48. Kenya 2004 steeple chase. Clean sweep, need I say more

Seconded and through to the finals.
1 Cathy Freeman 400m 2000 Olympics, the race that stopped the nation.
2 Nadia Comaneci first ever perfect 10.
3 Derek Redmond being helped round the track by his dad after his hamstring went in the 400m final
4 8 Eric the Eel. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zjCc...eature=related
5 Perkins 1500 win from lane 8.
6 The Aussie swimming relay team air-guitaring in celebration after winning gold in a reference to Gary Hall Jnr comment about "Smashing them like guitars".
7 USA Dream Team - Basketball - The team was awesome: Jordon, Magic, Bird etc
8 Michael Johnson 200m and 400m double at the Atlanta Olympics
9 Jesse Owens winning 4 Gold Medals in Berlin.
10 Muhammed Ali lighting the flame at the 1996 Atlanta Olympics.
11 Greg Louganis, diving hitting his head and coming back to win gold.
12 Bob Beamon's leap in the 1968 Mexico games.
13.African American athletes Tommie Smith and John Carlos perform their Power to the People salute at the 1968 Summer Olympics in Mexico City.
14. Sydney Olympic mascots 10m bomb diving http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg8YS...eature=related
15. Seb Coes 'I told you so' in the 1984 1500m. Breathtaking, beautiful and special. A man written off that destroys the field and is still the only back-to-back winner of Olympic 1500m.http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=KupBT6XdC2c

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I'm thinking that perhaps everything nominated should be in the finals as all the options appear memorable.

Are there any that shouldn't be included, any more great moments not mentioned?.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I say go with the lot as there is not much traffic in here.

If you find yourself with an uneven number, could always throw in a few wildcard selections

ohtani's jacket

State Vice-Captain
There's tons more, really.

How about Olga Korbut in the 1972 Munich Games? She failed to win in the individual all-around after a fall, but came back to win two gold medals in the Balance Beam and the floor exercise events. Here she is on the uneven bars -- http://nz.youtube.com/watch?v=yOOmFgBAdIA&NR=1

From the same 72 Games, the USSR defeat the USA Men's Basketball team 51-50 in the most controversial international basketball game ever played. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basketball_at_the_1972_Summer_Olympics#Controversy