Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New Zealand thread

Very nice performance there by Nicky Coles and Juliette Haigh (a long time family friend - so bizarre to see someone you know at the Olympics), slow start but a very strong second 1000m.

Not without a chance in the final on that performance. Looks like we might win more than half our medals in one day on rowing finals day on Saturday!

Rowing semis tonight have been interesting. It looks like there's a collective agreement by the NZers to save energy by going as close to missing out on a place in the final as possible.

They've all given me a massive fright.

NZ team looking like choking ****s across the board for mine - Melbourne 2006 all over again. I withdraw my support.

At least until they win a medal then I'll be back on the bandwagon.

Money Money Money Champion! Tournaments Won: 7
    Quote Originally Posted by _Ed_ View Post
    Rowing semis tonight have been interesting. It looks like there's a collective agreement by the NZers to save energy by going as close to missing out on a place in the final as possible.

They've all given me a massive fright.
    Mahe Drysdale left things a bit fine didn't he! Barely a second between him and the fourth place rower. At least it was enteraining, but I'll be hoping he can reach another level for the final.

Quote Originally Posted by Somerset View Post
    Mahe Drysdale left things a bit fine didn't he! Barely a second between him and the fourth place rower. At least it was enteraining, but I'll be hoping he can reach another level for the final.
    The BBC did a technical examination of Drysdale's rowing and it looks like he doesn't row as efficiently as the other competitors. He is a bit jerky, taking his legs back before his arms, unlike the others who are smoother. I don't know if that is something he's always done and succeeded in overcoming, or whether its a fault that has crept in recently.
    ZIMBABWE
    Somebody has to...

Quote Originally Posted by Chubb View Post
    The BBC did a technical examination of Drysdale's rowing and it looks like he doesn't row as efficiently as the other competitors. He is a bit jerky, taking his legs back before his arms, unlike the others who are smoother. I don't know if that is something he's always done and succeeded in overcoming, or whether its a fault that has crept in recently.
    He has been vomiting and had diarrhoea since Sunday. I bet the BBC technical wankers didn't take that into account.

99*
    Felt ill after staying up to watch the men's hockey, luck just doesn't seem to be on our side this year.

There's the possibility of quite a few medals today.

Mahe Drysdale
    Bridgewater/Twaddle
    Caroline & Georgina E
    Coles/Haigh
    Waddell/Cohen
    Valerie Vili
    Hayden Roulston
    Greg Henderson

Surely at least one of these people will win. Surely.

Henderson actually got a mention on ch 7 today in the program for the cycling finals tonight. Then again he is rooting one of the Australian cyclists that is on tonight so I guess that counts as an Australian (then again it is a tradition to take things from another country to claim as their own ). I hope Roulston hasn't burnt up to much energy.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

Huge night for New Zealand, we'll surely be on the medal table by the end of it but how many will end up being gold is the question on everyone's lips here. Really hoping that Drysdale has enough energy to put in one of his best performances and that his illness that slowed him down so much in the semis doesn't kill his chances of a medal. I'd consider Vili is our best chance of a gold (just a shame its on so late that I probably won't be able to see her) though the twins and Waddell and Cohen must be optimistic as well, ditto Drysdale if hes 100%.

A courageous effort from Drysdale for a bronze medal, actually led by nearly a boat length with 500m to go but I think that final 500m was so tough given the conditions and his illness leading up to the race and the Norwegian and other rower clearly had a bit more gas in the tank to speed off near the finish. Drysdale looked exhausted at the end.

IMO bronze should be nothing to be ashamed of though, and New Zealand are finally on the medal chart.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Samuel_Vimes's Avatar
    Defend Your Castle Champion! Monkey Diving Champion!
    A courageous effort from Drysdale for a bronze medal, actually led by nearly a boat length with 500m to go but I think that final 500m was so tough given the conditions and his illness leading up to the race.

IMO bronze should be nothing to be ashamed of though, and New Zealand are finally on the medal chart.
    Think he led as far up as 1900 actually. Had used his sprint midway through though.
    Messi scores on the rebound.

Founder of ESAS - Edgar Schiferli, the best associate bowler
    A follower of the schools of Machiavelli, Bentham, Locke, Hobbes, Sutcliffe, Bradman, Lindwall, Miller, Hassett and Benaud
    Member of JMAS, DMAS, FRAS and RTDAS

Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Grünbaum
    Is the conduct approved by the gods right ("pious"), because of properties of its own, or merely because it pleases the gods to value or command it?

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    Think he led as far up as 1900 actually. Had used his sprint midway through though.
    Yup he only really lost the lead in that final stretch, but had a reasonable advantage at 1500m; I thought at that stage he might be heading for gold but not to be.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Samuel_Vimes's Avatar
    Defend Your Castle Champion! Monkey Diving Champion!
    Yup he only really lost the lead in that final stretch, but had a reasonable advantage at 1500m; I thought at that stage he might be heading for gold but not to be.
    Getting pictures of him being carried out of the boat aws. Must have been really ill - which explains him hitting the wall.

Epic effort from Mahe. Must have been in agony but didn't stop. Absolute hero IMO. Haven't seen many braver efforts than that in these Games.
    Last edited by _Ed_; 16-08-2008 at 02:42 AM.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information