• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Zealand thread

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
A courageous effort from Drysdale for a bronze medal, actually led by nearly a boat length with 500m to go but I think that final 500m was so tough given the conditions and his illness leading up to the race and the Norwegian and other rower clearly had a bit more gas in the tank to speed off near the finish. Drysdale looked exhausted at the end.

IMO bronze should be nothing to be ashamed of though, and New Zealand are finally on the medal chart. :)

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
A courageous effort from Drysdale for a bronze medal, actually led by nearly a boat length with 500m to go but I think that final 500m was so tough given the conditions and his illness leading up to the race.

IMO bronze should be nothing to be ashamed of though, and New Zealand are finally on the medal chart. :)
Think he led as far up as 1900 actually. Had used his sprint midway through though.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Think he led as far up as 1900 actually. Had used his sprint midway through though.
Yup he only really lost the lead in that final stretch, but had a reasonable advantage at 1500m; I thought at that stage he might be heading for gold but not to be.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Yup he only really lost the lead in that final stretch, but had a reasonable advantage at 1500m; I thought at that stage he might be heading for gold but not to be.
Getting pictures of him being carried out of the boat aws. Must have been really ill - which explains him hitting the wall.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Epic effort from Mahe. Must have been in agony but didn't stop. Absolute hero IMO. Haven't seen many braver efforts than that in these Games.

Last edited:

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Bronze for Bridgewater & Twaddle as well, nicely done.
Agreed, very commendable effort given how quick Australia and Canada were in first and second.

Fantastic to see Drysdale able to make the medal ceremony, looked a lot better than he had 10 minutess prior when he basically fainted.

_Ed_

Yeah, still very pale but improving at least.

Two more strong medal chances in the rowing, the twins up next and then Waddell & Cohen.

_Ed_

Bit disappointing from Waddell & Cohen, the "experts" were rating them our best chance at the start of the night.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Waddell and Cohen in fourth, seemed to finish strongly (just a second off bronze), not that we saw them finish on the tv. :p