• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Zealand thread

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That was awesome. We were allowed to leave 6th form History to go and watch it on the big screen in the school hall. Sweet.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Stopped in at the Captain Cook Tavern on the way to work in Dunedin one Friday afternoon (v Puerto Rico I think) and the atmosphere was amazing considering it wasn't really drinking time...

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
I don't see the Tall Blacks making it through - we don't have the depth we had three or four years back.
An accurate assessment. Greece won by 75-48.

Germany play Croatia and Greece play Puerto Rico for three spots. Win one game and you're through to the Games.

pasag

RTDAS
Surprised there's been no mention of the Drysdale race yesterday, not usually too interested in these things but it was a stunner of a race.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Didn't see it. But he was cruising.... hopefully. The four quarter-finals all produced similar times. Twigg did enough as well, once the first three of them broke clear of the others in the race, their spots were secured, so there was no need to expend too much energy.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Didn't see it. But he was cruising.... hopefully. The four quarter-finals all produced similar times. Twigg did enough as well, once the first three of them broke clear of the others in the race, their spots were secured, so there was no need to expend too much energy.
Saw it - Drysdale actually had to fight a bit as Karonen challenged him for the heat win. Came up strong though. Good work. :)

Burgey

Another Kiwi doing what they do best - sitting down going backwards.

Oh look, is that the time? :ph34r:

Burgey

Yep, don't mention Montreal 76 either.

I saw that fella's race yesterday. the commentators were saying he was struggling, but it looked like he woldn't blow out a candle at the end of it.

_Ed_

Very nice performance there by Nicky Coles and Juliette Haigh (a long time family friend - so bizarre to see someone you know at the Olympics), slow start but a very strong second 1000m.

Not without a chance in the final on that performance. Looks like we might win more than half our medals in one day on rowing finals day on Saturday!

_Ed_

Rowing semis tonight have been interesting. It looks like there's a collective agreement by the NZers to save energy by going as close to missing out on a place in the final as possible.

They've all given me a massive fright.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
NZ team looking like choking ****s across the board for mine - Melbourne 2006 all over again. I withdraw my support.

At least until they win a medal then I'll be back on the bandwagon.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Rowing semis tonight have been interesting. It looks like there's a collective agreement by the NZers to save energy by going as close to missing out on a place in the final as possible.

They've all given me a massive fright.
Mahe Drysdale left things a bit fine didn't he! Barely a second between him and the fourth place rower. At least it was enteraining, but I'll be hoping he can reach another level for the final.

Chubb

International Regular
Mahe Drysdale left things a bit fine didn't he! Barely a second between him and the fourth place rower. At least it was enteraining, but I'll be hoping he can reach another level for the final.
The BBC did a technical examination of Drysdale's rowing and it looks like he doesn't row as efficiently as the other competitors. He is a bit jerky, taking his legs back before his arms, unlike the others who are smoother. I don't know if that is something he's always done and succeeded in overcoming, or whether its a fault that has crept in recently.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
The BBC did a technical examination of Drysdale's rowing and it looks like he doesn't row as efficiently as the other competitors. He is a bit jerky, taking his legs back before his arms, unlike the others who are smoother. I don't know if that is something he's always done and succeeded in overcoming, or whether its a fault that has crept in recently.
He has been vomiting and had diarrhoea since Sunday. I bet the BBC technical wankers didn't take that into account.

99*

International Debutant
Felt ill after staying up to watch the men's hockey, luck just doesn't seem to be on our side this year.

_Ed_

There's the possibility of quite a few medals today.

Mahe Drysdale
Bridgewater/Twaddle
Caroline & Georgina E
Coles/Haigh
Waddell/Cohen
Valerie Vili
Hayden Roulston
Greg Henderson

Surely at least one of these people will win. Surely.

Craig

World Traveller
Henderson actually got a mention on ch 7 today in the program for the cycling finals tonight. Then again he is rooting one of the Australian cyclists that is on tonight so I guess that counts as an Australian (then again it is a tradition to take things from another country to claim as their own :ph34r:). I hope Roulston hasn't burnt up to much energy.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Huge night for New Zealand, we'll surely be on the medal table by the end of it but how many will end up being gold is the question on everyone's lips here. Really hoping that Drysdale has enough energy to put in one of his best performances and that his illness that slowed him down so much in the semis doesn't kill his chances of a medal. I'd consider Vili is our best chance of a gold (just a shame its on so late that I probably won't be able to see her) though the twins and Waddell and Cohen must be optimistic as well, ditto Drysdale if hes 100%.