• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian Thread

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Haha, obvs delighted to be proven wrong. It's not only a win for swimming, but a win for everyone, get to see more Steph Rice (y)

Dydl

International Debutant
Well done to Stephanie Rice. Whole nation must be proud of her. That's our first medal this games, and 400th in Olympic history. Nice. :)

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
HG's take on things so far, from Crikey:

H.G. Nelson writes:

BRUCE: What a night!

(pause)

SANDY: Unforgettable, Bruce, unforgettable.

And with those wonderful words from the big two in the booth, The Games of the 29th Olympiad got underway.

Suddenly it is Day 3 of competition and a lazy susan of sporting snacks is on the revolve with more than enough shooting, archery and boxing to keep the rowdy glued the TV for another big Beijing day. Not forgetting the clash, with a little bit on it, Australia vs. Brazil in Women’s basketball.

So far so good for the Opals ... unlike Bogut’s Boomers who managed to drop one against Croatia 97-82 last night. This was an old fashioned boot up the date for Australian men’s basketball. Mercifully before the opening game tip-off our number one Opal, Lauren Jackson, went silly suggesting the team is prepared to "kill" for gold in 2008.

The jury is out on whether Lauren’s comments fall with in the spirit of the Olympic charter but violence has been part of the Australian way at the Olympics since The Original Lion of Athens, Edwin Flack flattened a spectator when he pulled on the wobbly boot four kilometers from the end of the marathon in 1896. It would be fantastic if the Spirt of the Lion is hovered over Beijing guiding our Opal Killers to gold.

Speaking of a little bit of rough, a terrific stink got lost in the build up to Friday night’s blast. The enduring feud between AOC heayweights Sydney’s Phil Coles and Melbourne’s Kevan Gosper was re-ignited at the Hong Kong Jockey Club last week.

This one is as long and as old as The Great Wall and is one of the cornerstones of our Olympic success. These two old sparring partners got amongst it in the Jockey Club carpark. They had to be pulled apart after three rounds of "What are you looking at!" while dignitaries and embassy staff looked nervous wondering if they should step in and offer to hold their coats. A feuding team is a winning team!

Everyone realises the bamboo walls of opposition have crumbled and it is now protest central in Bejing with the gold going early to PETA pin up, US Swimmer, Amanda Beard. She caught the eye with a well worked out nude poster campaign against fur.

I am not sure what the Chinese made of it as they are a very practical people when it comes to animal husbandry. Everyone hopes our PM, Kevin Rudd, who is a great admirer of The Beard’ s work in and out of the pool, was able to raise this burning issue at the highest level with both Chinese hosts and American blow ins. Sure he had a bit on his plate, but right-thinking animal lovers hope he made space to press home a powerful, positive fur message.

The Beijing air quality, which was last week’s talking point has improved dramatically over the weekend with a torrential down pour during the Women’s road race. Sadly air quality could now emerge as a big obstacle dogging Brisbane’s bid to hold the games in 2016. If anything, the air in Brisbane will be a real turn off for the IOC judging panel and kids around the world. It will be dull, old fashioned air with nothing in it and a real turn off.

The sophistication of these Games was again evident over the weekend when bookmakers framed a market on which sport would be busted for drug abuse first.

Swimming and diving were 10-1, cycling 15-1, boxing 25-1. This added real interest to competition until the athletics won when a Greek runner returned a positive. Punters can now get set on the total number of busts in the remaining days of competition. Olympic supremo, Jacques Rogge says that 40 athletes will be found out on the gear. But if you are going the plonk, watch out for any evidence that the subcontinental odds guru John the Bookie is lurking, as he would have inside mail which could be the big punter’s down fall.

Today it is a steady-as-he-goes Aussie assault which hasn’t turned into a gold rush yet. The assault was highlighted by Matt D’Aquino’s brilliant display representing the green and gold in judo. Matt's games lasted 30 seconds when a 50/50 manoeuvre came horribly unstuck. In a split second he found himself flat on his back with the ref signalling "ippon". Suddenly he was out of medal contention. Was Matt’s mat effort be an Olympic record?.

D’Aquino, now homeward bound, set a wonderful example to fat, unfit Australian kids everywhere. With his "golden" 30 seconds he has provided youngsters with dreams of competing at the highest level. Most kids, no matter how fat or unfit, could handle 30 seconds when the push comes to shove and hundreds are re-setting their goals for London 2012.

Finally, in an Olympic first, the Argentinian Women’s football team actually appeared to enjoy playing Sweden on Day 1. They went down 1-0. Enjoyment at this level has to be ruthlessly stamped out. If having fun catches on it will be the death of the Olympics as we know it.

howardj

International Coach
Day off for Brisbanites today - looking forward to seeing some Aussie gold in the pool.

Can't wait for Hackett's 1500m swim on Sunday.

Burgey

More Gold for Australia in the Olympic Spirit stakes with this reaction from the water polo coach to a controversial decision leading to a draw with Hungary. Also picks up gold for best spray so far:

"The referee is an arsehole as far as I'm concerned," How's that a kick-out [exclusion] at the end of the game? We're up by a goal, we don't want to give away an exclusion, we foul the girl, we're trying to cut back. The Hungarian player has hold of us and we get excluded. That's just total bull**** as far as I'm concerned. I'd like to kill the bastard.

"It feels like we've been robbed, … That was the most important game in our round. We win that game and we're looking good and they're struggling. Let the players decide the game not the stupid bloody referees.

"The players tried their hearts out for four quarters, and the referee goes and cruels it for them," McFadden said. "It's just not fair."

Now that's gold medal stuff.

Last edited:

Laurrz

International Debutant
wow :lol:

Aussies 5th atm, geez we've been sticking in that top 5 for a while

we can be 3rd overall IMO, with more success in the pool
its really tight between 3 to 7... all the countries with 5 or 6 golds.. Russia is sleeping so far it seems

pasag

RTDAS
wow :lol:

we can be 3rd overall IMO, with more success in the pool
No chance, a few more gold medal hopes here and there but going quiet once the athletics starts obviously hurts. Not going to be close to our efforts of the past couple of years.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
No chance, a few more gold medal hopes here and there but going quiet once the athletics starts obviously hurts. Not going to be close to our efforts of the past couple of years.
Still a chance of 5 gold in the pool (Jones, Sullivan in the 50, Trickett 100, Hackett 1500, Womens medley relay), 3 in sailing, 2 I think in the rowing, then don't forget the Kookaburras and the Opals. Oh, then there's a chance of 1 or 2 in the track cycling.

I'm sure there's another 2 or 3 obvious ones I'm missing as well. I don't think we'll match our efforst of the previous 2 Olympics, but I reckon it'll be close.

pasag

RTDAS
Still a chance of 5 gold in the pool (Jones, Sullivan in the 50, Trickett 100, Hackett 1500, Womens medley relay), 3 in sailing, 2 I think in the rowing, then don't forget the Kookaburras and the Opals. Oh, then there's a chance of 1 or 2 in the track cycling.

I'm sure there's another 2 or 3 obvious ones I'm missing as well. I don't think we'll match our efforst of the previous 2 Olympics, but I reckon it'll be close.
Yeah, I know, no chance for third though.

howardj

International Coach
Think I'm right in saying that all of our gold medals have been won by Queenslanders!

How good are we!

Burgey

Think I'm right in saying that all of our gold medals have been won by Queenslanders!

How good are we!
I knew this wwas coming from one of you blokes soon!!!

TBF, Qld's like a different country anyway :ph34r:.

Kicking arse this time around though.

howardj

International Coach
I knew this wwas coming from one of you blokes soon!!!

TBF, Qld's like a different country anyway :ph34r:.

Yep, still tainted by the stigma of Sir Joh.

Anyway, one of the great Olympic moments for Australia if Hackett wins on Sunday.

Absolutely frothin for this.