• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian Thread

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hoping the 3 Channel 7 digital channels have different sports on them, rather than the same sport on all the channels.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Anyone got a tip on who will carry our flag in the opening ceremony?
I'm going for Cadel Evans, great Aussie who has a huge dig, he's the all round great ambassador for the country and I hope he is chosen.

archie mac

International Coach
Anyone got a tip on who will carry our flag in the opening ceremony?
I'm going for Cadel Evans, great Aussie who has a huge dig, he's the all round great ambassador for the country and I hope he is chosen.
I thought the old fellow in the rowing, can't remember his name:-O

Simon

Doesn't get announced until Thursday afternoon/evening I think.
One things for sure, it wont be Sally Robbins.

Simon

Seems Tompkins is $1.05 with bookmakers to be the flag bearer, so that's a fairly decent prediction.

Burgey

Reading HG Nelson's latest book at the moment, and I can only whole heartedly agree with his analysis of Australia's prospective medal tally.

Invoking Roy Slaven's theorem:

To ascertain Australia's prospective total medal tally (of all colours), you take the number of gold medals on offer and times it by three, giving you our likely outcome.

If we come in outside a 2% margin of error from this formula, then the performance is un-Australian.

Burgey

Saw in the SMH this morning the following predictions:
Hackett - gold 1500m, silver 400m, 4 x 200m
Trickett - gold - 50 free, 100 free, 100 butterfly, 4 x 100 medley relay, silver 4x100 free
Schipper - gold - 200 fly, 4 x 100 medley relay, silver 100 fly
Rice - gold - 200 IM, top sort in the swim team, silver 400 IM
Jones - gold - 100 breast stroke, 200 breast stroke, 4 x 100 medley relay
Sullivan - gold - 50m, silver - 100m freestyle

Pressure much?

Simon

Trickett - gold - 50 free, 100 free, 100 butterfly, 4 x 100 medley relay, silver 4x100 free

Pressure much?
Sounds nice in theory, can't see it happening though.

Simon

Does anyone know the web address where we can send those hero message thingy's? Got a few words of encouragment to send to Steph Rice.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Ten golds, not bad.

Fairly sure Rice won't win a medley gold though.

Also, agree with Julian. Mottram my favourite Aussie tbh.

Johnners

Don't reckon Rice will grab a meldey hold either, the Yankee chick (Katy Hoff?) always seems to have half a second or so over her. Obviously I hope it's the other way around this time.

Mister Wright

Was about to post something about Rice getting higher viewer ratings than any race Thorpe was in, but then remembered that Thorpe not only had a female audience, but the gay audience as well. Given that women have 55% share in Australia's population, it could be hard for that to happen.

Burgey

Heard this morning both England and the US have told Australia they'll win more medals than us.

Well, in the US's case, it was about swimming. DUH!!! 300 million of the sorry buggers and they're going to win more medals than us in the pool. Go figure.

Then the Poms - they're saying for the 1st time since the 80s or something they'll win more medals than us. The fact they even have to talk about it tells us what a crap sporting nation they are - what's their population? And they're struttung about coz they think they'll win more medals than a country with 20 million!! Piffle.

Then we have this Jon Stephanson putz. He's pulled out of the individual 400m to concentrate on the 4x400m relay. Heard the best call to a radio station this morning, along these lines:
"Can someone tell that American, sorry Australian, athlete Jon Stephanson that the track in the individual 400m is the same bloody length as the track in the 400m relay? The man's an idiot".
Yep.

ripper868

International Coach
Yep, hate steffenson with a passion, when he wins something worthwhile, i'll start lsisteni....no i won't hes a git...

Burgey

God, if the future of Aussie soccer was on display last night, we're in deep ****.

Fair dinkum, Archie Thompson isn't worth a squirt of piss at international level unless he's playing the Solomon Islands under 16s. They just pumped long balls all night and hoped. T'was a travesty we led the game.

Dire.