• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The UK Thread

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
tbh we only win medals at the crap sports (curling and trap shooting), bring back Steve Redgrave.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Will have more posts than there is British medals this thread, much unlike the Australian one (h).

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Should call it crap shooting and make the targets exploding turds. Would be so much better.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
As befitting our increasingly sedentary lifestyle, we seem to excel in sports that involve sitting down: rowing, cycling & yachting.

Can't see us winning many medals in the real stuff tho. Maybe our drugs cheat wrongly convicted world champion in the 400m & that hepthalon bird, now Kluft deems it beneath her. That lad Baddeley who won the Oslo Dream Mile recently might just be a chance too. When I was a kid I took our domination of the middle distance events for granted, but he was out first winner since Peter Elliot in 1991! :-O

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
That lad Baddeley who won the Oslo Dream Mile recently might just be a chance too. When I was a kid I took our domination of the middle distance events for granted, but he was out first winner since Peter Elliot in 1991! :-O
Was a massively impressive sprint, yes. Thought he was gone with 15 metres to the line or so. (And also confused him with a Ukrainian who usually does a mean last lap.) I'm unsure whether he has the ability to do that if the field goes five seconds faster, which the assorted Kenyans & exported Kenyans will probably ensure that it does.

Steulen

International Regular
Will look forward to the big track cycling battle between the Brits and us Cloggies. Could get nasty.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Expecting less medals this time. After winning 3 golds in Athletics last time we won't win any this time without massive look. We are due for a decline in sailing, and we've not been great in rowing over the last few years. Swimming me might do slightly better than last time but there won't be many medals. Cycling we're actually doing pretty well coming in to the games but we'll probably mess up in the Olympics.

Interestingly enough given the posts above, we didn't win any medals in any shooting competitions (apart from a bronze in the archery) in Athens. Think we won one in Sydney (admittedly a gold) and that was the first shooting medal since about 88.

Our top sports i'd say were Rowing, Sailing, Cycling and Equestrian, throwing in Modern Pentathlon.

Below that we have Athletics, Swimming, Archery, Badminton, Diving,maybe Judo and Boxing where we can expect the odd medal.

Apart from that we're dreaming in the other sports

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Here's the BOA's predictions of medals

Cycling 6 (probably conservative)
Athletics 5 (very optimistic)
Sailing 4 (Probably about right)
Rowing 4 (Maybe slightly pessimistic but probably about right)
Swimming 3 (yeah could be anything frmo 0-4)
Canoeeing 2
Equestrianism 3
Gymnastics 1
Badminton 1
Judo 2
Modern Pentathlon 1
Diving 1
Shooting 2
Triathlon 1
Boxing 2
Archery 2
Taekwondo 1

People rated Gold Chances

Cycling ; Shanaze Read, VIctoria Pendleton, Bradley Wiggins, Chris Hoy, Rebecca Romero, Mens Team Pursuit, Womens road race.

Canoeing: Tim Brabants

Rowing Womens Quad

Sailing
Ben Ainslie
Yngling Class

Equestrianism
Three Day eventing

Boxing
Frankie Gavin

Seems a bit stupid they expect 6 cycling medals but there are 7 gold chances??

BoyBrumby

Englishman
The Dwain Chambers issue

After the ex-drugs cheat & sometime Castleford Tigers trialist won our 100m Olympic trial yesterday (From the BBC) he's put himself in the frame for selection if his appeal in the High Court over his lifetime ban from representing GB at the Olympics.

Just wondered what people thought about this? Should he be given another go or are we right to uphold a zero-tolerance approach?

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
why not could help the relay team defend the gold since he has no chance to medal in the 100 m given his time.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
why not could help the relay team defend the gold since he has no chance to medal in the 100 m given his time.
To be fair to Chambers, although he's no chance for a medal, he's comfortably our no.1 in terms of performance. So if a realistic medal shout is part of one's criteria for entering none of our sprinters need bother.

I'd actually prefer to see him excluded from the relay team even if his appeal is successful, as his inclusion is going to be very divisive as (from what I've gathered) he's not exactly Mr Popular amongst his fellow sprinters.