• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The UK Thread

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Brit going in the Taewkondo (sp?) semi as we speak. Could be an unexpected medal, Pentathlon going well as well

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Will have more posts than there is British medals this thread, much unlike the Australian one (h).
There are more posts than medals in this thread, too true. But something about this deserved to be dug

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
There are more posts than medals in this thread, too true. But something about this deserved to be dug
Nah, look, I blame the officials, clearly conspired to rob us of gold medals.

Out of interest though, why does the UK compete as a whole at the Olympics, yet at the Commonwealth games and at other championships, as seperate countries?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I don't know why we don't at the Commonwealth Games tbh. But everything else is based on tradition. In football we started the international game off through pitting England against Scotland, so it's always been that way, and the Scots, Welsh and Northern Irish would probably be more upset than us if we were forced to compete as UK tbh - not many of their players would get to play international football, that's not being arrogant it's just the way it is.

In Union I guess the reasons are similar, though obviously there is the Lions team which tours every four years. In League it's interesting, we've actually just changed back from GB to England, don't know why.

In Ahtletics though we've always competed as GB except for the Commonwealths. I remember watching a sprint final in the 98 CGs and I think GB got like a 1-2-3-4-5-6 or something

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Looks like another Gold in the sailing...streaking away with the sit down olympics.

Canoeing 1 Silver (Brabants looks good for at least 1 possibly 2 more)
Cycling Road 1 Gold, 1 Bronze
Track 7 Gold 3 Silver 2 Bronze
Potential for another in the BMX
Equestrian 2 Bronze
Rowing 2 Gold 2 Silver 2 Bronze
Sailing 4 Gold 1 Silver 1 Bronze

Total Sitting Down Olympics
14 Gold 7 Silver 8 Bronze

Potential for a few more, yeah i think we win.
:laugh:

Kinda like us with the "Water Olympics" itbt. Our medals have come from:

Swimming: 6 gold, 6 Silver, 7 Bronze
Sailing: 2 Gold, 1 Silver
Rowing: 2 Gold, 1 Silver
Triathalon: 1 Gold, 1 Bronze
Canoe/Kayak: 1 Silver, 3 Bronze
Water Polo: 1 Bronze

Total Watersports: 11 Gold, 9 Silver, 12 Bronze

Not bad considering our overall total is 11, 14, 16 :p

Reckon surfing, and a few other watersports should be introduced tbh :D

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Aaron Cook said:
I have never seen scoring like it in my life. In any other match I would have won by about five points but the judges were not putting anything up. I knew the crowd would be behind him but I didn't think the scoring would be that bad. To be so close to a medal is absolutely gutting. But I've got to go back and do more training and in four years' time I will be on that first place podium.
Haha, what a gun, why don't you say what you really think? People without media training give the best interviews, see also that McLellan bird for the Aussies

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Fair play to DeGale. Our first middleweight gold since 1968. Wasn't the prettiest fight, but he always looked to have the slightly narky Cuban's measure.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Fair play to DeGale. Our first middleweight gold since 1968. Wasn't the prettiest fight, but he always looked to have the slightly narky Cuban's measure.
I think he clearly won the fight. However, just seen him interviewed on US TV. The guy cant string a sentance together. Very disappointing.

EDIT :laugh: 90 mins after my orignal post, my wife has just come downstairs and said "Wow, that Brit boxer couldnt speak"

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
French sports minster "congratulates" GB

From The Guardian. A fittingly Olympian display of sour grapes from Laporte:

"We aren't just going to concentrate our means on four or five sports to bring home the medals, like the British have done"

Displaying all the good grace his nation is justly renowned for. Just face it, Bernie: we did you at your own place in the world cup semi & now we've done you in the Olympics. :cool: