• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The UK Thread

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Giant-sized "meh" to the Olympics from me. Would help if a few more of the sports included were actually sports.
Like wrestling, presumably.

On Chambers: the BOA rule on not selecting athletes that have been in doping offences has been there since 1992. Knew what he was up to itbt.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Like wrestling, presumably.

On Chambers: the BOA rule on not selecting athletes that have been in doping offences has been there since 1992. Knew what he was up to itbt.
Amateur wrestling, such as Greco-Roman, yes. It's perhaps the purest and oldest form of sport there is. Professional wrestling, no. Professional wrestling has more in common with acting than it does with sport, and as such has absolutely no place in the Olympics whatsoever. No-one who had watches professional wrestling would ever call it a sport, no more than you would assume the events of Lord of the Rings actually happened.

Last edited:

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Undecided on Chambers atm. I believe drugs cheats should be banned for life, and after the things Chambers said after the ban you couldn't blame the BOA for completely washing their hands of him. However, he's sort of won me over a bit. From all accounts, he genuinely gave Rugby League a proper go, despite having approximately 0% chance of nailing down the technical aspects of the game in a month, and combined with how hard he's tried to have his ban overturned, it gives the impression that this is a guy who actually cares about sport.

Either way, I sincerely doubt he'll run under 10 again, so it doesn't really matter.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Undecided on Chambers atm. I believe drugs cheats should be banned for life, and after the things Chambers said after the ban you couldn't blame the BOA for completely washing their hands of him. However, he's sort of won me over a bit. From all accounts, he genuinely gave Rugby League a proper go, despite having approximately 0% chance of nailing down the technical aspects of the game in a month, and combined with how hard he's tried to have his ban overturned, it gives the impression that this is a guy who actually cares about sport.

Either way, I sincerely doubt he'll run under 10 again, so it doesn't really matter.
Out of interest, what did he actually do in Rugby League? Did he have a trial with a team or something? I remember hearing about it once but then it just disappeared out of the papers.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Out of interest, what did he actually do in Rugby League? Did he have a trial with a team or something? I remember hearing about it once but then it just disappeared out of the papers.
Had a month long trial with Castleford Tigers and then played one game for the reserves. Obviously had nowhere near the stamina or technique to hack it.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Had a month long trial with Castleford Tigers and then played one game for the reserves. Obviously had nowhere near the stamina or technique to hack it.
Yeah, I bet he found it a bit of a shock getting thumped by 15 stone blokes as soon as he got the ball as well.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Stamina, Ill buy that as its the hardest sport Ive played. But technique to play wing in League? He could learn that in 5 mins let alone needing a month.

Hardly taxing :)

On the issue. I personally believe in 2nd chances and I thought that after serving his ban that he should be allowed to compete. However, I wasnt actually aware of this by-law.

Now I know about it, it makes good sense. He can earn a living and compete in all other events and meetings but isnt allowed to represent GB in the olympics. That sounds fair enough.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Pretty much agree with Goughy, though we are the only country with this by-law. And also Christine Ohuruogu is being allowed to compete.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
To be fair to Chambers, although he's no chance for a medal, he's comfortably our no.1 in terms of performance. So if a realistic medal shout is part of one's criteria for entering none of our sprinters need bother.

I'd actually prefer to see him excluded from the relay team even if his appeal is successful, as his inclusion is going to be very divisive as (from what I've gathered) he's not exactly Mr Popular amongst his fellow sprinters.
Ha, that's not good lets say he is given the last leg they might just drop the batton before they get to him.

Is he in the 200 category i has a fair shout in that field with Gay not competing with Bolt & Powell favourites i reckon he is on par with all the Americans for a possible medal given he has good 100m finishing speed.

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member

You don't think he can run 1/100 of a second quicker than he did at the weekend? :wacko:

steds

Hall of Fame Member
100 metre times are made up of minute differences. His PB before the ban was only 9.97, he's 30 years old now and he's spent considerable amounts of time in the last two years training for other sports with much more to consider than running as fast as you can in a straight line.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Ha, that's not good lets say he is given the last leg they might just drop the batton before they get to him.

Yes, I'm sure they'd sabotage their own chances of a medal just to spite Chambers. No. Really.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
She didn't actually fail a drugs test though. Missing three tests makes it blindingly obvious she had something to hide, but there is no proof that she was cheating.
Missings a test makes you a drugs cheat, IMO