Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The UK Thread

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Samuel_Vimes's Avatar
    Defend Your Castle Champion! Monkey Diving Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by superkingdave View Post

Seems a bit stupid they expect 6 cycling medals but there are 7 gold chances??
    Some of them could crash.

But looking at the last worlds results, 6 seems conservative, yeah.
    Messi scores on the rebound.

Founder of ESAS - Edgar Schiferli, the best associate bowler
    A follower of the schools of Machiavelli, Bentham, Locke, Hobbes, Sutcliffe, Bradman, Lindwall, Miller, Hassett and Benaud
    Member of JMAS, DMAS, FRAS and RTDAS

Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Grünbaum
    Is the conduct approved by the gods right ("pious"), because of properties of its own, or merely because it pleases the gods to value or command it?

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen

The Dwain Chambers issue

After the ex-drugs cheat & sometime Castleford Tigers trialist won our 100m Olympic trial yesterday (From the BBC) he's put himself in the frame for selection if his appeal in the High Court over his lifetime ban from representing GB at the Olympics.

Just wondered what people thought about this? Should he be given another go or are we right to uphold a zero-tolerance approach?
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"I don't believe a word of Pietersen's book, but then I don't believe a word anyone else has said either."
    - Simon Barnes renders further comment on KP's autobiography superfluous in a sentence

why not could help the relay team defend the gold since he has no chance to medal in the 100 m given his time.

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Quote Originally Posted by aussie View Post
    why not could help the relay team defend the gold since he has no chance to medal in the 100 m given his time.
    To be fair to Chambers, although he's no chance for a medal, he's comfortably our no.1 in terms of performance. So if a realistic medal shout is part of one's criteria for entering none of our sprinters need bother.

I'd actually prefer to see him excluded from the relay team even if his appeal is successful, as his inclusion is going to be very divisive as (from what I've gathered) he's not exactly Mr Popular amongst his fellow sprinters.

International Coach Barney Rubble's Avatar
    Giant-sized "meh" to the Olympics from me. Would help if a few more of the sports included were actually sports.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Samuel_Vimes's Avatar
    Defend Your Castle Champion! Monkey Diving Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Barney Rubble View Post
    Giant-sized "meh" to the Olympics from me. Would help if a few more of the sports included were actually sports.
    Like wrestling, presumably.

On Chambers: the BOA rule on not selecting athletes that have been in doping offences has been there since 1992. Knew what he was up to itbt.

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    Like wrestling, presumably.

On Chambers: the BOA rule on not selecting athletes that have been in doping offences has been there since 1992. Knew what he was up to itbt.
    Amateur wrestling, such as Greco-Roman, yes. It's perhaps the purest and oldest form of sport there is. Professional wrestling, no. Professional wrestling has more in common with acting than it does with sport, and as such has absolutely no place in the Olympics whatsoever. No-one who had watches professional wrestling would ever call it a sport, no more than you would assume the events of Lord of the Rings actually happened.
    Last edited by Barney Rubble; 13-07-2008 at 10:40 AM.

Breakout Champion!
    Undecided on Chambers atm. I believe drugs cheats should be banned for life, and after the things Chambers said after the ban you couldn't blame the BOA for completely washing their hands of him. However, he's sort of won me over a bit. From all accounts, he genuinely gave Rugby League a proper go, despite having approximately 0% chance of nailing down the technical aspects of the game in a month, and combined with how hard he's tried to have his ban overturned, it gives the impression that this is a guy who actually cares about sport.

Either way, I sincerely doubt he'll run under 10 again, so it doesn't really matter.

Quote Originally Posted by steds View Post
    Undecided on Chambers atm. I believe drugs cheats should be banned for life, and after the things Chambers said after the ban you couldn't blame the BOA for completely washing their hands of him. However, he's sort of won me over a bit. From all accounts, he genuinely gave Rugby League a proper go, despite having approximately 0% chance of nailing down the technical aspects of the game in a month, and combined with how hard he's tried to have his ban overturned, it gives the impression that this is a guy who actually cares about sport.

Either way, I sincerely doubt he'll run under 10 again, so it doesn't really matter.
    Out of interest, what did he actually do in Rugby League? Did he have a trial with a team or something? I remember hearing about it once but then it just disappeared out of the papers.

Breakout Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Barney Rubble View Post
    Out of interest, what did he actually do in Rugby League? Did he have a trial with a team or something? I remember hearing about it once but then it just disappeared out of the papers.
    Had a month long trial with Castleford Tigers and then played one game for the reserves. Obviously had nowhere near the stamina or technique to hack it.

Had a month long trial with Castleford Tigers and then played one game for the reserves. Obviously had nowhere near the stamina or technique to hack it.
    Yeah, I bet he found it a bit of a shock getting thumped by 15 stone blokes as soon as he got the ball as well.

still scratching around in the same old hole
    Stamina, Ill buy that as its the hardest sport Ive played. But technique to play wing in League? He could learn that in 5 mins let alone needing a month.

Hardly taxing

On the issue. I personally believe in 2nd chances and I thought that after serving his ban that he should be allowed to compete. However, I wasnt actually aware of this by-law.

Now I know about it, it makes good sense. He can earn a living and compete in all other events and meetings but isnt allowed to represent GB in the olympics. That sounds fair enough.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Pretty much agree with Goughy, though we are the only country with this by-law. And also Christine Ohuruogu is being allowed to compete.
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    gimh has now surpassed richard as the greatest cw member ever imo

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    To be fair to Chambers, although he's no chance for a medal, he's comfortably our no.1 in terms of performance. So if a realistic medal shout is part of one's criteria for entering none of our sprinters need bother.

I'd actually prefer to see him excluded from the relay team even if his appeal is successful, as his inclusion is going to be very divisive as (from what I've gathered) he's not exactly Mr Popular amongst his fellow sprinters.
    Ha, that's not good lets say he is given the last leg they might just drop the batton before they get to him.

Is he in the 200 category i has a fair shout in that field with Gay not competing with Bolt & Powell favourites i reckon he is on par with all the Americans for a possible medal given he has good 100m finishing speed.

Breakout Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    And also Christine Ohuruogu is being allowed to compete.
    She didn't actually fail a drugs test though. Missing three tests makes it blindingly obvious she had something to hide, but there is no proof that she was cheating.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information